• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Cristobal by Ashton

flamchop

65/65
After working 15 days straight with only one day off beginning the Monday before Christmas, last night when I got home from work I felt it was time to relax and celebrate a couple days off with a cigar. I dug through the cooler and found this San Cristobal by Ashton I had picked up about 9 months ago.

San Cristobal by Ashton
5 x 50 "Clasico," Robusto
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Strength: Full
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Pre-light:

The cigar feels great in the hand, give it a little squeeze and there isn't too much give. The dark and oily wrapper has a chocolate color to it with a little bit of tooth. I gave the triple cap a clip and the dry pull tastes of dark Hershey's chocolate and a little raisin. Slightly sweet.

Torch and Burn:

I torched the foot and was greeted with some initial spicy pepper which went away after a couple minutes. Getting further into the smoke there were notes of sweet dark chocolate and dried fruit. I would say this cigar is more on the medium side but definitely full of flavor. There was a light gray/white and held strong. The draw was great. The burn wasn't so great. About the halfway point a huge tunnel developed. I ended up having to touch up the burn constantly which annoys me so much! The San Cristobals I've smoked in the past have not had this burn problem so I'm sure this was just an aberration.

The flavors in the second half mellowed out a great deal. The spice was gone and the dark chocolate remained and I was picking up much more of a cedar, woody taste, pleasant tobacco. In the final inch or so my finger was burning and I had to put it out.

Conclusion:

The second half was much better than the first. I really enjoy these smokes although they might be a dollar or so above where they should be. I prefer the black label Don Pepin Cuban Classic over this smoke, however. A box of this size can be had for around $160. Jose "Don Pepin" Garcia rolls these for Ashton and if you're a fan of his stuff I'm sure you will like the San Cristobal.

I'm smoking one now...just 'ok'. Upon drawing it's not bad....the aftertaste is something else
sad.gif
. I'm not sure how old it is, but it may need to sit.

The box of Clasico that I am almost finished with have been by far the most inconsistent of any box I ever had. While they all looked good and had good construction for the most part, the flavor was either great or way off. I will try these again but maybe a different size like the Fransisco or Guajiro.

I love the Fabuloso (torp) in this line, but the Guajiro's a close second. I haven't been quite as dazzled by the other vitolas, but certainly wasn't disappointed by them either. Just nothing beats that Fabuloso for me.

~Boar

I've like the ones I've smoked so far (several). I've been interested in the Monumento, but can't find a single. At a recent herf, somebody who's knowledge of cigars I admired stated that these were his favorite. I wouldn't go that far (I didn't observe him drinking as much as he may have... :whistling: )

I've tried the Maestro's. They are gorgeous looking smokes, and have probably my favorite band. Every time I have one though I'm a bit disappointed; they just seem like they should be better.

I found these cigars hit or miss within the same vitola and I have tried every one several times. Although the new size/blend I got at the IPCPR this past week was one of the hits for me of the show. More complex and balanced with a hint of spice, not overpowering at all but a delicious smoke and above the others for sure IMHO.

I found these cigars hit or miss within the same vitola and I have tried every one several times. Although the new size/blend I got at the IPCPR this past week was one of the hits for me of the show. More complex and balanced with a hint of spice, not overpowering at all but a delicious smoke and above the others for sure IMHO.

Eric, have you tried the Seleccion Del Sol (Blue Foot Band)? I was gifted one at IPCPR and smoked it the other night. It was good but surprisingly mild, IMHO. BTW nice to herf with you in NOLA!

IMHO I've really enjoyed this line of cigars. For a while, there was a problem with these cigars having soft spots in the middle and getting really hot. They seemed to get it worked out because the one I had last week was great. But then again, anything Pepin is great in my book. :thumbs: