• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Cristobal

SewerRanger

Reaction score
Ring Gauge: 50
Length: 6"
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Nicaraguan

What a beauty this little cigar was. Dark and oily, with a smell that I can only describe as the elephant house at the zoo - both musky and leathery with hints of earth and moss. It's a fantastic smell and my mouth begins to water every time I get a hint of it from a cigar. After that initial smell the quality build on this cigar sticks out. Everything about it seems to have been made with tenderness and care. The band is a beautiful golden affair, sporting a bird holding two medals. Normally I find bands like this to be a bit much, but this one just seems to work. The end of the cigar features a classic “Cuban triple cap” and clipped off easily. The cigar light fine and the first handful of puffs brought out a rich spiciness that lets you know you’re smoking a Don Pepin cigar. After about an inch or so of smoking, the pepperiness gives way to a more balanced earthy flavor. I got hints of espresso, walnut, and vanilla. There was a nice cedary flavor that constantly lurked on the back of the pallet. By the second third of the cigar, the flavors had changed again and the cigar had become noticeably more full bodied. The pepper flavor built again and was complimented by a smooth leather and a much stronger cedar flavor. Around the last third of the cigar, I was treated to yet another change in flavors. By this time the cigar had moved into the full bodied category. The smooth leather flavors began to develop into a sweet leather flavor that was complimented by a in your face pepperiness. Overall this was a great cigar and one that smoked down to the nub.

I enjoyed your review. I like the concise yet informative format you used.

I've tried most of the Ashton/Pepin San Cristobals and I like the Supremo the best, so far. I haven't tried the newer PC size yet, though. This blend tastes much better a bit on the drier side.

Keep up the great reviews!

Steve

One of the best brands out there. I wish I had more (guajiro is my favorite)! Great job on the review! :thumbs:

Thank you both. I though the names (Supremo, guajiro, etc) were just size differences. I didn't think they were different blends.

Thank you both. I though the names (Supremo, guajiro, etc) were just size differences. I didn't think they were different blends.
Strictly speaking, they are not different blends. Although Pepin did say he was trying to blend the line so each vitola had a distinct flavor profile. I forgot that they came out with an eighth frontmark - Papagayo - 5.75 x 55. So there are two sizes I have yet to try! :)