• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Onofre Nuclear Plant to be retired

Not a shame at all. I'm only 70 miles or so from there and they've been having issues with radiation leaks for some time.  Hate to say it, but I'm glad to see it get shut down.  What is a shame and sad is that they couldn't resolve the ongoing issues. 

Nuclear Power plants have a shelf life.  40 years is pushing it.  
It is the greenest power source, but expensive.  The cheapest form of energy today is natural gas.  Pass the beans please.

This is the first I saw of this.  First Kewanee and now SONGS.  We've been told in no uncertain terms that we bring in a substantial amount of revenue for the company, but if the business case were ever to go away, then so would we.  Things have changed with the price of natural gas being so low.  Nuclear isn't always the cheapest any more.

As far as the shelf life/issues comments go, a Nuclear Power Plant can remain safe and economically viable if given the proper care and maintenance.  The problem has been that the owners of some of these plants haven't made that financial commitment and then you see a plant like SONGS being decommissioned as a result.  The initial 40 year license for the plants I work at expire in the next couple of years and we've gotten at 20 year license renewal.  There's talk of getting an additional license renewal after those are up as well.  I'm blessed to work for a company that has made a strong investment in it's Nuke plants and is willing to continue to replace and upgrade the equipment (which in some cases is even cheaper than building gas burners).

It is a shame. As Ken states, they are reliable as long as there is a financial committment to properly operate and maintain them. In the land of "rolling brown outs", the loss of this source will be noticed.

Caught a lot of waves on my board down there in my younger days.  Could be why I glow in the dark.

I lived not too far away from the plant for a time when I was stationed at San Onofre, Camp Pendelton.