• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Santiago Cabana Cigars

Wyld Bill

I enjoy doing reviews on cigars and thought I would pass on the reviews of this line of cigars. One day, someone sent me three cigars and asked me to review them, as well as provide my honest impression of them. Most everyone knows, I have no problem telling the truth, so here it is.

All three cigars are reviewed in this one; a Toro (6 X50, Natural), a Churchill (7 X50, Natural) and a Torpedo (6 ½ X 52, Natural).

Here is some information that their website contains about their line of cigars.
“Santiago Cabana Cigars, Intl. Inc., was established in 1994 in Miami, Florida by the legendary Cuban Master, Santiago Cabana. Mr. Cabana has been in the business for over 6 decades. A native of Las Villas, Cuba, he arrived in the United States in 1993 and began manufacturing his legendary cigars.
Using a mix of the finest leaves from The Dominican Republic, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Peru, and an Ecuadorian wrapper of the finest quality, he expertly combines this mix into a blend that will make you feel like you are smoking a Cuban cigar of the highest quality, guaranteed.
We are so confident that we respectfully challenge you to compare it to a fine Cuban cigar. Smoke Magazine gave the Toro Maduro – a rich, dark wrapper - the highest rating in the world in January 2000. It also gave the "Santiago Cabana – El Original" label - the title of "Best cigar made in the US!" Every cigar is hand rolled in our Miami shop.
We welcome you to visit us if you are ever in the Miami area.”

In addition to the Toro, Torpedo and Churchill sizes, they also have a Lancero (7 X38), Robusto (5 X 50), a Corona (5 ½ X 46), Presidente (7 ½ X 50) and the Millennium (6 ½ X 54). All of these cigars come in Natural, Claro and Maduro wrappers. Box prices go from $90 to $150 plus shipping and handling. Each of these cigars has a nice white and red band with gold script writing.

This is the link to their website :

http://www.santiagocabana.com/ourcigars.php

The Toro and the Churchill were smoked two days apart and the Torpedo was smoked about two weeks later.

Pre-light inspection on all of three of these cigars was very similar, as the wrappers are well made. Minor veins on each of the cigars with no noticeable defects. The caps were well made. The wrappers had a nice medium brown, oily sheen to them. There was a good consistency on the wrapper, as to how it was rolled over the binder and filler. The cigars each felt the right amount of firmness with just the right amount of spring. Scents of dark roasted coffee, almonds, spice (pepper and a hint of clove) were present. Taste on the tongue showed hints of pepper and a meatiness.

I cut each cigar with my Palio Burl wood cutter (at different times of course) and noticed that each cigar had a great pre-light draw. Just the right amount of restriction. I toasted each of them with my Dupont Xtend lighter. None of these cigars had any issues in lighting. A great even draw continued, as did an even burn initially. I loved the great blue/grey smoke this cigar produced at the very beginning.

As I continued to smoke the cigars, I noticed the dark roasted coffee, pepper, clove and beef flavor. The meat was not too strong, but was a nice change in flavor which matched well with the good pepper flavor. The sweet clove spice was also present at different times, but this flavor did not over power the overall flavor. It continued to burn well with no issues in draw or construction.

As I hit the second third, the flavor continued to develop with hints of cedar, pepper, leather and meat. The spice kicked up a bit, but was not over powering. Smoke continued to fill the air from this cigar. Note( on the Churchill, the flavor changed to a bitter coffee, dirt and earthy taste, which changed the complexity of this cigar. Also, hints of nicotine starting showing up in the second half, which concerned me.)

The last third, the flavors remained good and enjoyable. Nicotine was present, but not over powering the cigar. Pepper remained a pleasant flavor, as did the leather. Good burn and draw on the Toro and Torpedo. The Churchill had some flavor issues, as well as burn issues in the final third. I had to relight the Churchill three times, as well as correct the burn, which began to tunnel.
No defects in the construction were noted on any of the cigars.

Overall the Toro and Torpedo provided me a greater smoke. I enjoyed the flavor, smoke and the overall appearance of these cigars. The blend was good, but in no way as good as any Cuban cigar as the manufacturer states. The Churchill in my opinion had some blending issues. Perhaps, the example that I had was a fluke. No idea. Initially, it started out well, but finished very poorly. Nicotine does not need to be the leading flavor of any cigar. Also, the Mexican tobacco in the Churchill seems to overpower the rest of the blend, lending to a earthy, dirty flavor. None of these cigars are full bodied, but rather a mild to medium bodied cigar with some complexity.

I personally would buy the Toro and Torpedo, but would have to think about the Churchill. I look forward to trying their Lancero cigars. Overall this was not a great cigar, but one that I would definitely try again.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hope it helps.