• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sauternes Anyone?

Jamie76

I don't consider myself a wine drinker. I love my rum, brandy (eau-de vie's included), scotch, etc etc. Somehow, I ended up in the wine section of Total Wine today. I ended up buying a bottle of Chateau du Grand Carretey Sauternes 2008 vintage. At only $12 for a half bottle, I decided to take a chance on it. This is some great wine. I think I will need to explore sauternes a bit more. Luckily TW has a pretty good selection. I seen the Chateau d'Yquem. I wonder how long it will take my palette to fully enjoy something like that.

sweetness is often a reason for half bottles(something I disagree with). Try a Tokaji from Total Wine...very nice wine from Hungary aged with Nobel Rot. I had a Tokaji vintage 1993 Chateau Megyer (5) from there and it was really nice. Those come in 500ml bottles(something else I don't prefer...lol)

sweetness is often a reason for half bottles(something I disagree with). Try a Tokaji from Total Wine...very nice wine from Hungary aged with Nobel Rot. I had a Tokaji vintage 1993 Chateau Megyer (5) from there and it was really nice. Those come in 500ml bottles(something else I don't prefer...lol)

Welcome to CigarPass. Why don't you head to the Introduction Forum and introduce yourself to us formally and tell us a little about yourself. :thumbs:

I had a 1/2 bottle of the 05 version of this wine in my fridge for what seemed like forever. My wife finally opened it last week. I didn't mind the sweetness but the syrup like texture was a bit over the top for me. We have moved from Sauternes to Moscato for desert wine. Less expensive and not quite a thick and syrupy. Also plan to give some tawny ports another go.

I had a 1/2 bottle of the 05 version of this wine in my fridge for what seemed like forever. My wife finally opened it last week. I didn't mind the sweetness but the syrup like texture was a bit over the top for me. We have moved from Sauternes to Moscato for desert wine. Less expensive and not quite a thick and syrupy. Also plan to give some tawny ports another go.

Moscato is indeed good. I've been drinking this off and on, however, Sauternes has really piqued my interest. I've not had a chance to try Tokaji yet, though TW also carries a few of those.

Love Sauternes and Tokaji...I'll even drink a Moscato now and then. You can't beat the flavors of a good Sauternes. d'Yquem is to die for. Rieussic is my goto Sauternes. I collect them in 750ml format, but tend to drink them in the 375ml format unless I have a large party of friends over. Definitely a dessert wine meant to be shared. And age simply does wonders for it.

It's a funny thing, growing up in an Italian family I was taught that sweet wines were for drunks and degenerates. That's not true of course, but they are a short cut to a hangover. BTW, try dipping biscotti in your sauternes or moscatos.

Doc