• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Savory Puff Pastry

PetersCreek

Codger-in-training
When The Wife® and I were last in Homer, we stopped for breakfast at the Two Sisters Bakery (a great little place!) where we had a killer pastry. Last night, we made our first attempt at replicating it...with some embellishment. The result was quite tasty...

36979_1475610897921_1463169155_31239691_2160934_n.jpg

...puff pastry filled with brie, tomato, prosciutto, and basil. The last two ingredients were our addition to the pastry we enjoyed in Homer.

Since I haven't perfected the art of making pastry dough, we used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry. One sheet, cut into quarters, works nicely. Lay some brie on the square along the diagonal, then add a thin slice of tomato (lightly salted), a chiffonade of basil, and some cut prosciutto. Bring the opposing corners together with some overlap, and seal them with a little water. We baked these on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat in a 425°F oven...but I cranked it up toward the end to finish the browning, so 450°F might be better.

We were quite pleased with our experiment. We're looking forward to having them again and to trying other variations.

Side note: If you put a little too much brie in the pastry, worry not. It bubbles out onto the baking sheet and turns into a tasty little golden brown crisp. Enjoy.

Side note: If you put a little too much brie in the pastry, worry not. It bubbles out onto the baking sheet and turns into a tasty little golden brown crisp. Enjoy.

That does look tasty, and I do love cheese just on the edge of being called burnt. This would be great with bacon!

Those look darn tasty! For a little extra browning, you could also brush the pastry with an egg wash before putting it in the oven. Different mixtures will yield different results... glossy, matte, light brown, dark brown etc.

LINK