• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scale Calibration Weights Question

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
How far off the topic of cigars can you get? Well, I'll try! :D

Who works in a lab or knows anything about scales/balances?

I have an 800 gram sensitive to 0.01 grams. I need some weights to calibrate it.
This is a high end top-loading professional lab scale. $1000+ in cost.

I will be working with Grains instead of Grams. It does grains to 0.1. I will be weighing between 4 - 10 grains. For those that don't know, there are 15.43 grains in a gram. Therefore the Gram equivalent will be 0.26 to 0.65.

I will never need this scale for anything larger where accuracy really matters. If I weigh something that is 100 grains and it is off a little, it won't matter.

Should I worry about the scale being calibrate linearly or just calibrate it at the level that I will be using it? It may calibrate both ends of the spectrum by calibrating one end. I don't know.

I don't know if the flexures in the balance or still true. (the flexures bend as weight is added to the pan which changes the resistance) One or more may need replacing. I don't know that either.

I used to program and calibrate scales like this several years ago for the textile industry. I would take a regular Ohaus scale and reprogram the chip to do yarn measures. Sliver, Roving, skeins of yarn in grains per square yard/square meter etc. This would be real easy to do with the tools and resources I had back then but now, I am on my own. I guess I could go back to them but we charged $150 an hour to do this type of thing and I only gave 20 bucks for the scale! :p

I really need a set of weights but they are real expensive too! Do any of you know what the different classes mean and within what tolerance of weight I should choose? I could buy a 10mg and a 1g weight and calibrate the low end and forget about the 800g high end. What do you think?

Also, anyone have any weights available cheap?

I saw those sets at other sites but I don't know if they are as accurate as I want them to be. They never mention tolerances. The tolerances probably won't matter much but I usually try to go overboard with things so I will probably get one of the higher quality sets.

I saw those sets at other sites but I don't know if they are as accurate as I want them to be. They never mention tolerances. The tolerances probably won't matter much but I usually try to go overboard with things so I will probably get one of the higher quality sets.

I'll be tactful and not ask you which narcotic you're weighing ;)

moki said:
I'll be tactful and not ask you which narcotic you're weighing ;)
Thanks for respecting my privacy moki. You are a true gentleman! :thumbs:

Cal the range you will be working in. You should be able to gain more accuracy in a limited range compared to the full range. Can't help you with the weights.

I used to work in Calibration.
You need Calibration weights.. they are super accurate and are used for calibrating scales..
You can find them at a calibration supply place.. they are quite spendy though

Wascal said:
Just what you're looking for. :thumbs:

Click here
That might just do it Wascal. Decent price and I feel more comfortable using Ohaus weights than an off brand or a re-labeled brand. I wish I knew what the tolerances were on these.

Thanks