• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scale Saturn V launc

That was really cool. I was just at the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville Alabama and they have a "room" with the Saturn laid out with all 3 stages separated so you could see the boosters on each stage. That thing is one impressive machine. Especially considering the technology of the time.

Impressive thought it would go higher than that though

He was constrained by the only fuel available and engines designed for best use of it. More volatile fuels and a more complicated engine to burn them could have gotten him to sub orbital. The engines, expensive. The fuels, illegal. He did pretty damned good.

Having been into model rocketry for several years, I can appreciate that. Remarkable indeed. Would love to see something like that, or even half that size in person.

Wow! That is one spectacular model. Someone said they wished it had gone higher, I think due to camera zoom and lens compression, it seems by the altitudes they called out when the chutes opened, they hit 4k feet. Thanks Bruce for posting.
Rob

Pretty cool.

They had a pretty good idea how far it would go. Math and applied science is cool.

Impressive thought it would go higher than that though

He was constrained by the only fuel available and engines designed for best use of it. More volatile fuels and a more complicated engine to burn them could have gotten him to sub orbital. The engines, expensive. The fuels, illegal. He did pretty damned good.

Actually the liquid fuels while not illegal would have increased the engineering skill needed as well as the weight of the vehicle through the roof. The logistics of building a functional liquid fueled multi-engine rocket are nearly insurmountable to a novice. Oh, and it would have pushed the price tag to over 7 figures. While the fuels themselves are again not illegal, the guidance systems needed to control such a heavy beast are illegal without getting extensive FAA & DOD clearance . Because after all a rocket with a guidance system now becomes a potential weapon.

Nevertheless, that launch was damned impressive! Damn fine work he did!! :thumbs:

Old guys like me probably remember having the teacher bring a "portable" TV from home so the class could watch Apollo launches. The 60's space race was a big part of my childhood.
Some of my only vivid memories from 1st and 2nd grades are of watching the Apollo missions in class. We had such great expectations of what was to come, and it was really an incredible time in our history. Every time I think about it, I can't help but think what a shame that manned missions have gone nowhere since then.