• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch for a bourbon lover?

Cira

I drink tons of bourbon and rye, I love it. Neat, rocks, juleps, anything. Favorites are Basil Hayden, Black Maple Hills, William Larue Weller and Pappy Van Winkle. However, I can't seem to find any scotch that I like. I'll confess that I don't know much about scotch and haven't ever taken the time to learn but it seems ever one that I try I don't like much.

Any recommendations on a region or a specific scotch to try for a bourbon lover?

What scotch have you tried? No sense getting repeats if you've already had it.

The scotch that I started out with was Dalmore 12yr Cigar Malt. It is still to this day one of my go to scotches. I'm not much of a bourbon drinker so I'm not 100% sure you'll like it, but it is a great scotch for a very reasonable price.

I'd add . . . what are you looking for or expecting from Scotch? What flavors do you like in bourbon? Those are two key starting points to go from.

I mean, if you're looking for something radically different from bourbon, in ways unique to Scotch, well, the Islay stuff might fit the bill. If you're looking for something less far removed from your current tipple, maybe Dalmore Cigar Malt . . . it just all depends.

~Boar

I tried that cigar malt and wasn't crazy about it. Maybe I'll give it another try. I've also tried all the Macallans, a few Dalmore, all the Glenfiddich and the blends (Johnny Walker and Chivas). Maybe I'm drinking the wrong region. I think mostly I've had Highland and Speyside in terms of region.

Something that isn't too expensive (~$40-45) is the Glenrothes Select Reserve. Try it with water until you reach a point that you like (or at least can put up with) and then cut back the water over time. I don't know of anything offhand that is the missing link between bourbon and scotch.

Well, it looks like you've covered the smooth to smoky range and not found it to your liking, then.

There's things like Laphroaig and Laguvulin, with lots of peat and iodine, and then there's the sweeter, sherry-casked Speysides, like Balvenie DW. But the possibility exists that you simply don't like Scotch. If you didn't find JW Black Label to your liking, you very well might not like ANY Scotch.

Not every one does. And that leaves more for ME! :laugh:

~Boar

Honestly I am more of a bourbon guy myself. Although I do enjoy a nice Scotch from time to time. I know you mentioned johnny Walker which I like alot but, one of my favs is the Glenlivet Nadura. Give it a try if you havent I think it runs around $57 a bottle.

I'm more of a scotch person, however I do dabble in bourbon here and there. Of the few scotches I've had, I have to say The Balvenie Double Wood is the most similar to bourbon (primarily Pappy Van Winkle imo) in terms of texture, viscosity, and flavour.

I'd look for a sweeter scotch that is somewhat similar to bourbon, or a spicier scotch like your rye. For sweet, I'd give Macallan 12 a try. For spicier, I'm not sure, maybe Lagavulin or something.

Hmm, if you like smoky bourbons like Elijah Craig the Islays may be your style like another poster mentioned before me. Lagavulin, etc. (although I dont personally prefer Islays)
I might also suggest Aberlour A'bunadh, the sweetness imparted by the 100% sherry aging might be a good segway to dryer tasting single malts. One of my favorite single malts in general is Highland Park specifically the 18 year. I highly recommend that one. On a bourbon forum it seems many of the bourbon drinkers really like the Balvenie 15 single barrel.

Well, it looks like you've covered the smooth to smoky range and not found it to your liking, then.

There's things like Laphroaig and Laguvulin, with lots of peat and iodine, and then there's the sweeter, sherry-casked Speysides, like Balvenie DW. But the possibility exists that you simply don't like Scotch. If you didn't find JW Black Label to your liking, you very well might not like ANY Scotch.

Not every one does. And that leaves more for ME! :laugh:

~Boar

Seeing as how he likes bourbon I don't think the peat and iodine flavors of a Islay would be good for his palate. I could be wrong though.

I know I can't stand Islays but I love a great bourbon. I've found that a heavily sherried scotch is close to a bourbon in characteristics. Try a Macallan 18 or Balvenie 17 Sherry. I'm also a huge fan of Glenfarclas Cask Strength and Macallan Cask Strength.

Until I came to cigar pass, I don't believe I'd ever met anyone who liked both Scotch and Bourbon. I personally can't stand Bourbon unless it's in a Manhattan. Oddly, I don't like Rob Roys

Doc.

Until I came to cigar pass, I don't believe I'd ever met anyone who liked both Scotch and Bourbon. I personally can't stand Bourbon unless it's in a Manhattan. Oddly, I don't like Rob Roys

Doc.

Maybe you have a point. Perhaps I'm just one of those folks. But how can I win at life if I haven't sampled and enjoyed every type of booze and cigar on the planet? I must try!

Until I came to cigar pass, I don't believe I'd ever met anyone who liked both Scotch and Bourbon.

Doc.

I drank only Scotch, primarily JW Black Label, until some folks on another cigar board introduced me to "bourbon beyond Beam" . . . now I restock the Woodford Reserve bourbon at least 3X as often as the Scotch.

~Boar

I suspect it's got something to do with those 7 straight Rebel Yell boiler makers back in '69. :whistling: I won the bet, but lost my taste for Bourbon.

Doc.

I like Bourbon and Scotch and Irish.

I think Redbreast Irish pot still comes close to Bourbon, but that ain't scotch :sign:

Rene

Doc.

I've noticed that there are many who prefer one to another exclusively, but I've never understood why. If someone really enjoys one style of whiskey (or whisky, wiskey, etc), I can't imagine why they wouldn't at least have some interest in other styles as well. Perhaps my pallet is not developed enough to really distinguish one type from another. I've always enjoyed all types of whiskey, but had trouble with tequila. I never had a issue that would create a taste aversion, but never really enjoyed it in the past. Recently I've made some progress and have been drinking some tequila. Now, the only alcohol I've found that I don't enjoy is campari. Even mixed, I can't enjoy it.

Back on topic: Have you considered doing a tasting/flight of scotch? I'll bet you can find a restaurant that offers one.

Try Glenmorangie 10 yr old. I've found this to have a distinct sweetness to it with a very mild to non existent peat flavor.

I like whisk(e)y of all regions, but as AVB said, it would be hard to find a bridge between bourbon and Scotch. They're just too different animals. Some even argue that we shouldn't even be calling them both whisk(e)y, since one's corn-based and the other malt-based, also differences in yeast, distillation technique, aging, etc. Technically, bourbon and Scotch are as different from each other as rum and tequila are.

Most Scotches utilize bourbon barrels for the majority of their aging...but I never really noticed a distinct bourbon flavor element to Scotches (perhaps because bourbon barrel aging is arguable the norm for Scotch). The other common barrel you find is sherry casks, which the Macallan has in spades, but maybe its the sherry element you don't care for.

I don't know...maybe you are just a bourbon guy. Scotch really has to be appreciated for its own unique merits and can't be compared to other spirits (though Irish whiskey is closest, but still very different in taste).

Why don't you try REALLY shocking your system and getting an Islay malt? Try out some Laphroig, Lagavulin, or Ardbeg...because there's absolutely no way you could ever compare on of those whiskies to bourbon. :laugh: