• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch huh!

LOYD

I had to beat him with his own shoe!
I'm a drinker...lol Beer, crown, VO...never tried any scotch. Whats a reasonably priced scotch thats easily obtainable for a guy that has never tasted it. Hate to buy some CRAP! and get turned off before I get started...lol I know its a very open question and I could search and all that but blah!

Don't wanna spend over say 75 bucks and I want something that I can pull out amongst friends and not look too newbie.

Any help would be appreciated.

THX
LOYD

I'm a drinker...lol Beer, crown, VO...never tried any scotch. Whats a reasonably priced scotch thats easily obtainable for a guy that has never tasted it. Hate to buy some CRAP! and get turned off before I get started...lol I know its a very open question and I could search and all that but blah!

Don't wanna spend over say 75 bucks and I want something that I can pull out amongst friends and not look too newbie.

Any help would be appreciated.

THX
LOYD

Laphroaig Cask Strength would be a good first. It's not too high. I don't know about in your area. But, you can buy the little bottles like you see on airplanes here. Maybe buy some of these to try a few without investing too much in case it is not your thing. I'm a Rum, Cognac, and Vodka guy myself.

You have got to be kidding. The people that start with a highly peated Islay as their first and enjoy it are few and far between.
Dalmore 12, Balvenie DoubleWood, Johnny Walker Green Label or Macallan 12 would be much better starters. IMO of course.

Laphroaig Cask Strength would be a good first. It's not too high. I don't know about in your area. But, you can buy the little bottles like you see on airplanes here. Maybe buy some of these to try a few without investing too much in case it is not your thing. I'm a Rum, Cognac, and Vodka guy myself.

Bought some JWGL.....straight drink I assume. no water, soda, or anything. Drink cold, room temp, over ice?

Bought some JWGL.....straight drink I assume. no water, soda, or anything. Drink cold, room temp, over ice?
Just like what's good with cigars, everyone's going to have an opinion on the "right" way to drink it, I'm sure. :)

I prefer mine with a few ice cubes, but then again, I'm not a huge Scotch drinker. I did get a chance to try a bottle of the JWGL last week while up in Norfolk for a conference. I think I was expecting to much because at first I wasn't impressed. The next day it was a little better and by the time we finished it, I was actually beginning to enjoy it. Just a different taste to get used to, I guess. I'd definitely buy it again, especially to share with my father who is a big JW fan. :)

Enjoy the drink no matter what. :)

---John Holmes...

Anything but mixed with Dr. Pepper.

Just how late are the liquor stores open in your neck of the woods ???

Glenfiddich 12 yo is a nice starter as well. Nothing drop dead fancy. The Glenlivet 12 yo isn't bad choice either. :thumbs:

I take it the 'G' means gold and not green? I prefer mine at room temperature, usually without any water. Adding a few drops of water I do every now and again. AVB, Caol Ila 12 year was the first whisky I tried and I loved it; it got me hooked on whisky. There aren't too many with a stonger peat taste than that... But I can certainly see how a lot of people would get turned off by it.

I'd recommend going with a Highland to start. Macallan, Knockando, or a Campbeltown like Springbank. Islays can seem tarry to a beginner.

You have got to be kidding. The people that start with a highly peated Islay as their first and enjoy it are few and far between.
Dalmore 12, Balvenie DoubleWood, Johnny Walker Green Label or Macallan 12 would be much better starters. IMO of course.

I trust your opinion a lot better than my own when it comes to Scotch. :D Like I said............Rum, Cognac, and Vodka.
I should have kept my .02 outta here. :laugh:

I'd second the Doublewood, also just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Port wood. I also agree that the chances of someone new to Single Malts loving Islays are rare

For your first try, I would recommend going to a decently-stocked bar on a night it's not too busy, tell the bartender you want to try a few different single malts, and ask him (or her) if he (or she) would let you pay for one drink and try small doses of a few different scotches. This way you can find one you like before you buy a whole bottle.

Good starters, IMO, are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich (both very easy-drinking, not too strong or one-dimensional).

Balvenie doublewood and Cragganmore are also very nice, but may be harder to find at a bar and cost a bit more.

Highland Park is good and will give a bit more of the smoky/peaty flavor than those above.

If you do go this route, and like what you've tried, you might consider trying an Islay malt (Laphroaig, Bowmore, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, etc., just tell the barkeep "Islay" (pronounced eye'-luh)) just for fun. As has been said above, the chances of you liking it are probably slim. I was one of those that did like the flavor profile immediately, but it's a well-known fact that I'm a nut-job.

You could also try some of the better blends. IMHO, single malts are not always better than blends, just different, and I drink plenty of blended scotch. Good blends include Dewar's 12 year old (standard Dewar's white label is just OK), Pinch Dimple, Chivas Regal, and JW Black.

And, if you've already tried some, Loyd, how did it go?

Good call with the Balvenie Doublewood. Is there anyone that doesn't like this scotch?

If you can find it, Macallan 10 Fine Oak is easy to drink as well.

Back