• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

scotch recomendations

mhn

oksy, I'm looking to all of the people here who enjoy a good scotch, either with a cigar or by itself (or both).

The number of times I have had scotch I could count without taking my shoes off, and while I enjoyed it greatly, I cannot even remember what it was that I had.

I am looking to purchase a bottle or two to start with. I would like to not pay an enormous amount but I also understand that you get what you pay for.

If anyone would like to offer up any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess I could always go through all of AVB's reviews for the 100th time and just pick one or two of those to buy :)

*grumbles* damn you AVB for having me want to get into another hobby that will take more of my money :sign: :sign: :sign:

thanks for any help
Mike

I have no idea. I bought a book about scotch a while back but for some reason, I have not been able to acquire the taste. Maybe some day........

However, I have one word for you:

AVB

The Glenlivet 12 Single Malt is very good. It is mild.

The Bowmore 12 Single Malt is also good. Very Smooth but also very peaty<sp?> This is a taste that may take some getting used to.

The Dewars 12 is said to be real good but I haven't had it. Make sure you get the 12 and not the white label.

The Chivas Regal 12 Blended Scotch has to be my favorite and I would suggest it as a great place to "start." It doesn't have quite the bite of a single malt and it also is availble in a 375ml bottle for around $16. The others mentioned, to my knowledge start at 750ml at $35+ per bottle.

If you are fortunate enough to live where they are available and legal (some states only allow them to be purchased by those with a liquor license) you can buy mini 1-2 ounce bottles for around $3. That's what I always try to do before investing in a 750ml bottle.

Either way, the four I mentioned above are a great place to start. Good Luck.

I also think you will find that any of the Single Malts derived from the Highland region will be too strong for a young palette. Glenfiddich is an example of a Highland Scotch. I bought a bottle and wound up sending it to GuyanaBoy. PM him for his suggestions. He's a connosieur<sp>

There are as many opinions of what should be the first scotch as there are scotch drinkers. A choice from any on this list is fine as each have good points. The idea of trying mini bottles is a good one until you find some that you like.

(In no particular order)

Single Malts:
MaCallan 12 yo
Glenlivet 12 yo
Glenfiddich 12 yo
Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 yo
Highland Park 12 yo

Blends:
Johnny Walker Black
Chivas 12 yo
Dewar's 12 yo

Hey Mike, if you can find it the Lagavulin 16yo is outstanding. It does run upwards of $50 a bottle for the 750 though.

Lagavulin might be a bit much to start with but you never know. I've always let people work up to the stronger Islay scotches.

I'd recommend an Oban, really good beginners scotch, not too heavy not too light. Just my preference of course.

JRW

My first was Glenfittich 15 yr. It was very nice! It's not bad deal at $38 a bottle!

Never could get into scotch until I tasted the 15 year old Laphroig at the Vegas Big Smoke a few years ago.