• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seal inspection, UV lights

AKmik

Hello all,

I have read all the old posts I could dig up , a tough task with the flinstone connection I am working with.

I was wondering if this light would be a worthwile investment for the travel bag http://www.brightguy.com/products/Inova_X1_UV.php

The UV light is 395nm, and they are quality lights.

I am in transit now to places south and have access to one of these. I read the posts on PG7 or so of this board, and it seems like it should work.

Need advice from the experts.

Thank you for any info.

Mike

Thanks guys,

I am on what I would think is the slowest connection possible, the three links took me 45 minutes to read. I am riding a ship right now, so I really appreciate the help.

I guess I will need to buy the correct light once I return home. Too bad this one will not work, I was kind of hoping to have it for a the LCDH I will be stopping by in a few weeks. By one members accounts this shop had some fakes floating around. I may just hold off and place my usual order when I get back.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Mike

I'm not sure how happy the store owner would be if you were walking around with a UV light, LOL.

Ouch. Sorry, man. By now you know that the coat of arms on the seal fluoresces under longwave UV radiation. The best and cheapest lights I've found ($20 range) are the ones used by stamp dealers and for detecting pet urine on carpets.

In any case, the seal is but one clue out of many possible clues. I'd say that if you do not have access to a UV, then the appearance of the seal itself (currency green ink = good, bright lime green = bad) and the appearance of the date/factory codes are equally valuable. The appearance of the microprinting on the seal is also another great clue. However, these latter two features are really only useful if you are already acquainted with what the real thing should look like. In any case, I wouldn't buy any Cohibas. If you abide by that, you diminish your exposure to fakes significantly.

If you stick to an LCDH, then your chances are better, although quality at various LCDH are not necessarily consistent.

Wilkey

Thanks guys,

I am on what I would think is the slowest connection possible, the three links took me 45 minutes to read. I am riding a ship right now, so I really appreciate the help.

I guess I will need to buy the correct light once I return home. Too bad this one will not work, I was kind of hoping to have it for a the LCDH I will be stopping by in a few weeks. By one members accounts this shop had some fakes floating around. I may just hold off and place my usual order when I get back.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Mike