• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sealed Glass tubes

gt3911

Hey all,

I recently received a box of Romeo y Juileta 1875’s in glass tubes. This is my first ‘box’ of cigars, I loved opening it, and they're dressed so well I really don’t want to put them in my humidor!

I decided that I’d like to pick your brains, I’ve done my searching and I know people say ‘pop the lids and put them in your humidor’ however I’m wanting to look into this a little deeper.

I have no clue how the production line, or even the life of a cigar works out. Can anyone enlighten me, as I’m curious how long these things have been in their tubes in the first place. I’d guess that they’re actually tubed up for quite a while – I’m thinking a year if not more depending on how long they sit in the store for.

So, if that’s true, is there really any need to rush home, pop the lids and get them in the humidor, I’d imagine any real damage would already be done? And they’d of gone past the point of self healing?

In my situation, these cigars are now near the end of their life, and will be smoked probably within the next 5 months.

I’m curious how this use may vary to others who might wish to possibly store a cigar for over a year + at which point it seems more suitable for you to keep them in the humidor, but as I didn’t see any one stating “I like to keep my cigars for a long time so I always pop the lids” I thought I’d ask a little more about what you guys have found, and how it effects the cigar.

Of course – super noob here, I’m by no means saying your wrong my guesses are just wild and have no weight of experience or knowledge behind them.

Never in my life have I cracked the tops on any of my tubed cigars until it was time to smoke them. Just my .02

I have a few tubed cigars and I as well keep them in the tube till time to smoke em'. Good Luck brother!

Glass tubes I leave as is, aluminum I pop the top and either put the whole tube in or just the cigar.

I just want to be sure there is no beetle damage.

FWIW I usually take mine out of the tubes. Mostly because space is at a premium in my humidor.

If they come in tubes. Store 'em in tubes.

Cigars in glass tubes have been known to last thousands of years without a loss in flavor.

Well, maybe decades, but you get the point.

Wilkey

If they come in tubes. Store 'em in tubes.

Cigars in glass tubes have been known to last thousands of years without a loss in flavor.

Well, maybe decades, but you get the point.

Wilkey

I almost fell of my chair when I read that bro. :D

I almost fell of my chair when I read that bro. :D
I always pop the cork. Its a bitch to light em in the tubes.
Apparently smart-asses abound tonight. :D

Cigars will have been in the tubes for as little as a few months to over a year by the time you buy them from a shop. It's reasonable to assume that the cigars were originally put into the tubes in an environment that is "good" for them (e.g., Honduras, Nicaragua) and that if undisturbed, they should be ok inside their factory-sealed tubes. That said, the seals are imperfect and placing tubed cigars in your humidor is good insurance.

Wilkey

A more serious answer to your question: I do not open my tubos, but I do recognize that they will leak. I store them in my humi so leakage wouldn't cause any harm. For aluminum tubes, I do remove the cap.