• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sealing painted cabinets?

dulaney22

Banned
Guys, my wife talked me into painting, glazing and distressing our kitchen cabinets and, thank God, I'm almost finished . . . except for a seal.

For you guys who have experience with such, what type of seal should I put over the finish? I don't want anything glossy, but if I don't put anything it will chip rather easily.

Thanks,

Lee

Guys, my wife talked me into painting, glazing and distressing our kitchen cabinets and, thank God, I'm almost finished . . . except for a seal.

For you guys who have experience with such, what type of seal should I put over the finish? I don't want anything glossy, but if I don't put anything it will chip rather easily.

Thanks,

Lee

fashion_show_sealskin-776031.jpg

Thanks,

Lee

fashion_show_sealskin-776031.jpg

I don't care why you posted this, but I like.

Gary, I'm not really versed on modern fashion . . . is that a sealskin coat? Not that I really care, but I'm trying to find the relevance or attempt at humor of your post.

It is a sealskin coat.

I always thought of paint as sealer itself, so this will be a learning experience for me.

As long as you prepped the cabinets properly(sanded and primed) you shouldn't have a problem.

As long as you prepped the cabinets properly(sanded and primed) you shouldn't have a problem.

I did a light sand but didn't use a primer. The guy at Lowe's said it wasn't necessary, just to put a few coats of paint.

Anyway, it may be screwed up, because it chips pretty easily. Will a sealant help at this stage? I sure do hate the prospect of sanding and doing it again. :angry:

I barely noticed the coat in Gary's first post. I was kinda distracted.

Let me know if you want some company on the repeat if you have to do it.

Next time don't listen to the guy at Loews. Primer is almost always a good idea. It's pretty much a necessity when painting previously finished wood.

When I painted some kitchen cabinets at our old house we degreased, sanded, degreased again, primed, then painted. The finish was strong and very durable.

Several coats of polycrylic in whatever finish you desire ( Flat , satin, Semi gloss )
is very durable and will protect the finish..