• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sealing the glass in glass top humi

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Reaction score
I am seasoning a humidor for a friend who let it dry out for year. The glass pane moves around in the lid and I suspect this would be a major source of RH leak. I would like to seal it in place on the inside where the caulking type stuff wouldn't be seen.

Any suggestions on what to seal it in place with to avoid introducing foul odors into the humi?

I am seasoning a humidor for a friend who let it dry out for year. The glass pane moves around in the lid and I suspect this would be a major source of RH leak. I would like to seal it in place on the inside where the caulking type stuff wouldn't be seen.

Any suggestions on what to seal it in place with to avoid introducing foul odors into the humi?

I'm not sure about the fumes but I suspect a silicon sealant would probably work. I don't use them often but I don't recall much or any odor form them.

Hot melt glue, no outgassing. I used a relatively high temp at the glass edge, THEN inserted the quarter round wood that holds the glass in. The hot melt sealed the glass AND holds the quarter round.

How about aquarium sealant. I believe its made so that it gives off no odor or chemicals that would contaminate the water? You can get a tube for a couple of dollars at any pet shop.

I like the hot melt idea, for me silicone does have an oder that may or may not be a problem, but the hot melt seems more or less inert after drying.

How about aquarium sealant. I believe its made so that it gives off no odor or chemicals that would contaminate the water? You can get a tube for a couple of dollars at any pet shop.

Now that seems like an inexpensive idea, thanks for putting it out there. :cool:

I recently used silicon sealant for windows. It comes in a small tube and dries clear and smell free. Just make sure you leave the humidor open while it dries because it does smell until it dries. It worked perfectly and can not smell a hint of anything from it.