• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Secondary Ferm.

bluue13

Home brewers,

When your recipe calls for secondary fermentation, how many of you actually rack to a new fermenter and how many just continue in the same? I've seen both schools of thought, just wanted to get a feel for what you all do.

Discuss, if you will.

I agree with the previous 2 posts Always move to a new carboy and honestly I usually do it even if its not called for to clear the brew a bit more.

Meh, I've done both. Most of the time beer goes to a secondary for all the good reasons (clarify, bulk age, etc) but sometimes I just leave it in the primary and let all that flavor age in ie I get lazy ;-). I've made good beer both ways. DWRAHAHB

Haha! Took me a minute to decode the acronym. Good thing I've read the book!

I leave it... Much easier... I only rack to secondary a week or so before kegging. Hell I have left beer in primary for up to 3 months with no problem. The only reason for a secondary prior to kegging is it helps clear the beer.

I decided to transfer this batch. Session IPA with a lot of hop additions and such so It'll help clarification. Just wanted to see where other home brewers stand.