• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seconds, Rejects... which what where?

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
I'm planning on buying some of the rejects, seconds, whatever you call them, for everyday cigars. Anyone know of any that are good? I've never had anything in this catergory and kinda wonder what I might be jumping into. Thanks.

KB

Personally I wouldn't waste your money if I were you. There are way too many bundles and seconds that are garbage and it would take a lifetime to try them all and you'd waste a heck of a lot of money in the meantime.

Consuegras are a great inexpensive smoke as are Cuba Aliados. Connies are "seconds" from the factory in Honduras that makes ERDM, Hdm, JR Ultimates, etc. and CA's are seconds from the La Gloria Cubana factory.

Both are "good" smokes ;)

Of course you could always track down PB for grape White Owls :D if you're so inclined ;)

KayakinBoy said:
I'm planning on buying some of the rejects, seconds, whatever you call them, for everyday cigars. Anyone know of any that are good? I've never had anything in this catergory and kinda wonder what I might be jumping into. Thanks.

KB
[snapback]167680[/snapback]​

If you can find some, "Private Stock" cigars are very affordable, very nice smoking and tasting seconds from the Davidoff(?) factory. I highly recommend them.

Hey Bud, cheap cigars are my thing, however for the most part I have had better luck with inexpensive firsts than any seconds.

Look into one or all of these:

Padron Fumas (get a S. FLA BOTL to get em for you), 80 cents each
La Finca Corona or Robusto Black $27/25 JR
Flor de Olvia Petite Torpedo ($26 - $30/25 from Rocky's or Smokeall)
Lusitania Maduro $30/20 any size Mike's cigars
Mantequilla X, XX, or XXX Maduro $30/20 Mike's
Belinda Black Epicure #5 $35/20 JR
Sancho Panza Double-Maduro Quixote $40/20 JR
Sancho Panza Extra-Fuerte Pamploma
$45/20 JR
Mayorga Gordito Maduro $70/40 JR
Padron 2000 M $60/25 Buymorecigars.com

In all the above cigars only the FdO's are bundeled, all the rest come boxed and banded. When buying sub $2/stick cigars the key is to keep enough on hand to let them age 90 days before smoking them. Sometimes you will get lucky and get an "old box" however the manufacturers don't spend the money to age them which is part of the reason they are soo cheap.

-Matt-

KayakinBoy said:
I'm planning on buying some of the rejects, seconds, whatever you call them, for everyday cigars.  Anyone know of any that are good?  I've never had anything in this catergory and kinda wonder what I might be jumping into.  Thanks.

Flor de Oliva makes a great cheap bundle, you can generally find them between $30-40. I especially like the Maduro's and for less than $2 a stick they're a deal.

Rosa Cubas, Old Fashioned, El Creditos. Phew! I have pretty low standards for yard gars. But these are not to be thought of as worth the time. Dissected a few.

Rosa Cubas Flor Ybor
Short cut filler. Twigs included. Some small hard bark like substance. Nice wrapper. Twigs do have a taste. Or maybe it's the bark.

Old Fashioned 749
Medium to long filler. Green. Just Green. No fermentation. or Bad fermentation. Very light bland smoke. Thin smoke. Sick period? Who cares. Too bland to salvage with care.

El Creditos Bundles Churchills
Long Filler. Odd inconsistent diameter along the length. No big deal. Sometimes down right nasty harsh and bitter. Sometimes sweet, full tobacco taste. Luck of the draw.

I agree...don't worry about cheap seconds when there are plenty of good, cheap, everyday smokes to be had.

JR has Maria Mancini's and Mayorga's cheap. I bought a box of Mancini DeGaulle's as an everyday smoke about e year ago. They are good for the price.....

Thanks for your answers, and thanks from Jonny! Many new ones to try out!

:D

OK KB, sorry I'm late........hope I got to you in time: DON'T try the La Stinka's! (aka La Finca). It has been a long time since I had one but I do remember they stunk and tasted like the stuff that gets clogged in your sink drain (don't ask). Both the taste and stench lingered for hours! ??? :0

No disrespect txmatt, personal opinion and all! :whistling: :D

lol, thanks chief. I'm figuring you're a fan or Fumas, right? :D

the gurkha said:
Honduran Factory Corojos on Jr's
[snapback]169819[/snapback]​

Hmmmmm, I'll have to check that out. :) My recommendation? LVH "Fumas" Killer price for a good number of sticks that are of a decent size. It's been awhile since I last had one, but they have incredible flavor, good construction, and a generous outpouring of smoke that is nice to watch wafting through the air. Ditto the Perdomo overruns. Slightly more expensive than the LVH, but tastes just like the Perdomo 2 in my opinion. A good box-pressed cigar with a smooth wrapper. I plan on stocking up on those next month.