• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seconds?

bringbackphish

Hey all. Just wanted to know what you think of "seconds." I know that the wrapper has an imperfection, but does this really effect the cigar? I keep seeing these posted for sale for less than half of the normal cigar. Is there a huge difference in quality? Or is it that their not perfect? I'm particularly interested in the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 seconds.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Rob

They're usually pretty close to perfect (sometimes hard to tell a difference). Every now and then you'll find one that burns uneven.

Otherwise, great way to save a few bucks. RP has quite a large "seconds" market...try the Sungrown line.

:thumbs:

I've had the Vintage '90 and '92 seconds and I couldn't taste the difference. The flavor, construction, burn, and draw were all identical to the regulars. The only difference is that the seconds usually have some cosmetic blemishes (wrapper color variations, sun spots) and they are unbanded. If you enjoy them, I definitely recommend ordering a bundle or two to save some bucks.

I second the sungrowns. Only RP cigar I still really like.

Tried one today. Not bad, I still prefer the vintage. I found the Sun Growns to be a little weak compare to them. I'm in the process of trying lots of new cigars. I'm hooked already.

Thanks for the information on the seconds. I will definitely be picking up a couple to save some money.

Sometimes getting a couple of bundles of seconds is the only way to go when the budget is tight, down here in OZ the tobacco tax is 70% so you gotta do what you gotta do.

I tried a few seconds in the past and they can be a hit or a miss. I think you just need to inspect the cigars and check for details of dryness, pin holes or rips on the wrapper etc etc. If the problem isnt that big, save a few bucks and enjoy the smoke!

-gmewu99
http://cgarjourney.blogspot.com/

Tried one today. Not bad, I still prefer the vintage. I found the Sun Growns to be a little weak compare to them. I'm in the process of trying lots of new cigars. I'm hooked already.

Thanks for the information on the seconds. I will definitely be picking up a couple to save some money.

Never had a RP Sungrown I'd consider weak... ???

Where did you get it and what RH% was it stored at?

Oh and IMO the RP SG Coronas are the best of the bunch.

Never had a RP Sungrown I'd consider weak... ???
I wholeheartedly agree with you.....the RP Sungrown Lancero that Isy gave me was one of the nicest morning cigars I ever smoked. Great full flavor while not overpowering the palette....I wish they still made that cigar. I bought the corona size and they smoke great.

Not every cigar you smoke has to be a flavor bomb to enjoy it's merit... :thumbs:

Oh man the Lancero was awesome.... :(

Lots of Lanceros no longer being made that should be.