• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Secrets of purchasing cigars

Undegreed

You're unique...just like everyone else
Working in a cigar shop part time I have heard all sorts of sneaky methods of purchasing cigars under the radar (without the significant other finding out how much money was spent). I thought it would be interesting to try to compile a top ten list of cigar purchasing tactics. I've debated on asking this for a while because so many of you have awesome partners (as evidenced by the repsonses to "Do you let your wife smoke with you"). In the end, my desire to create the list overcame my inhibitions. In order to save face and potential flashback you can start your post with "I know this guy/gal that..." Below are two of my current favorites:

- I know this guy that makes purchases at a hardware store and gets cash back for his purchases. He then uses the cash to buy cigars at his local B & M. Since his wife doesn't know how much hardware stuff costs he can hide the cigar purchase in her ignorance.

- I know this guy that makes sure all the credit card gift cards that are sent to his house are quickly confiscated by himself. He then uses the gift cards for his cigar purchases.

Geez, here's a trick, marry a woman who's got better things to do than keep track of your cigar purchases. It's worked for me.

Doc.

My wife actually told me not to buy estate pipes and to buy only new pipes. So yea... Same thing for cigars...no problems here.

Tell them to get back in the kitchen and whip up some steak and potatoes. Haven't tried that one yet, but would love to see someone else give it a shot.

Make your purchase amounts small. $200 on a statement will catch someones eyes, no mater what it is. $10 wont.

I just stay within my budget and all is well. The budget thing applies to pretty much everything though. Otherwise, Doc was right as usual.

I make sure that my wife has an interest or a hobby that she takes part in, as well. Whether it be monetary, time spent, or just the fun of planning the activities, I make sure she gets to do something SHE enjoys, as well, without me harping about spending or whathaveyou. She's supportive of just about everything I do (though I know she'd rather me spend less money on my Big, Dumb Truck), so I can't complain and I make sure she's happy and content, too.

Spend time with someone that drinks beer, enjoys a good mixed drink from time to time and likes her own cigar right along with it...​

My wife knows when I buy cigars, because I tell her to look for boxes outside the front door if I'm out doing errands. She equalizes my spending by going to Victoria's Secret to buy shoes and clothes for herself.

I don't have any secrets regarding cigars. :cool:

My wife knows when I buy cigars, because I tell her to look for boxes outside the front door if I'm out doing errands. She equalizes my spending by going to Victoria's Secret to buy shoes and clothes for herself.

I don't have any secrets regarding cigars.
well Victoria's secret is kinda for you too.

Undegreed, So basically nobody agrees with your tactics... :cool:

Try not to take it personal.

I wouldn't say "nobody". Doc has great advice, but I'm kinda stuck with what I got at this point and she HATES the fact that I smoke cigars. While I don't necessarily sneak around, I don't advertise what I'm doing either. Use cash. :)

Undegreed, So basically nobody agrees with your tactics... :cool:

Try not to take it personal.
Just to clarify-these are not my tactics but the techniques I here in the cigar shop. I run the finances in our house. my wife is happy as long as the bills are paid, she has some cash in her pocket and we can go on vacation once in while.

These responses actually confirm my original apprehensiveness.

I wouldn't say "nobody". Doc has great advice, but I'm kinda stuck with what I got at this point and she HATES the fact that I smoke cigars. While I don't necessarily sneak around, I don't advertise what I'm doing either. Use cash. :)

Ditto.