• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seeking Advice

ClemsonTiger

I have been enjoying cigars now for about 6 months, and I'm fortunate to have a friend give me a few Cubans so that I could begin to appreciate the differences between cigars made in the DR, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Cuba. I am especially fond of Montecristo #2's and have a few left in my humidor... but it's so damn hard to let them sit and age. I'm getting ready to restock and have some thoughts based on what I've read here and other places. I want to get some Partagas SP2's and Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas. While I am tempted to add Cohibas to the mix (Esplindidos), they're just a little too expensive for me at this point. I'm sure everyone's opinion is different... and I certainly want to try for myself and form my own opinion... but would appreciate any guidance on good sticks to try for someone just beginning to discover Cuban cigars.

At the same time, I also want to expand my range of NC's and I've found some that I really enjoy. Partagas Fabulosos, La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 6 Maduros, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I have been enjoying cigars now for about 6 months, and I'm fortunate to have a friend give me a few Cubans so that I could begin to appreciate the differences between cigars made in the DR, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Cuba. I am especially fond of Montecristo #2's and have a few left in my humidor... but it's so damn hard to let them sit and age. I'm getting ready to restock and have some thoughts based on what I've read here and other places. I want to get some Partagas SP2's and Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas. While I am tempted to add Cohibas to the mix (Esplindidos), they're just a little too expensive for me at this point. I'm sure everyone's opinion is different... and I certainly want to try for myself and form my own opinion... but would appreciate any guidance on good sticks to try for someone just beginning to discover Cuban cigars.

At the same time, I also want to expand my range of NC's and I've found some that I really enjoy. Partagas Fabulosos, La Gloria Cubana Serie R No. 6 Maduros, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Clemson T-

Greetings from Merida, Mexico.

There are lots of great cigars available, and if you enjoy the recent Monte #2, you should have no trouble locating more Montecristo, or piramides made with the same great attention to detail.
The recent PSP#2 has been a wild cigar, with tons of peppery Partagas tobacco. They are well made, but can be rough, while young.
The Monte #5 or the Party Short, or the Trini Reyes are my choices for minuto. The RASCC is an also-ran.

Two great values, at the moment are the RASS and Diplo #2.
Dont be afraid of Cohiba. If you find a good merchant, they will steer you to an authentic Habano and a delicious cigar. Right now I am enjoying a Cohiba Siglo III. The cigar is very young, MAR 10, but will open open delightfully in just a few more months.

Consider a small group of friends that would have interest in monthly box splits. You and four friends can enjoy sharing and smoking great variety of Habanos on a monthly basis. A good merchant will give discounts for repeat customers.

Enjoy your cigars.

Cheers
Drew P

Explore the smaller vitolas as well, as they can be mighty satisfying when you are short on time. Partagas Habaneros are excellent for the money, and they have a heap of old-school Partagas flavour. Costs you so very little for a box too.

I appreciate the advice, gents. I will definitely give the smaller vitolas a try!

Not too much said about NCs but I smoke mostly Nics and Cubans. Why? Personal preference. So I'm afraid you'll have to experiment a bit. But PC cigars are an inexpensive way to sample a blend.

But I want to suggest the Newbie Sampler Thread here at CP. Allow some of our fogs to guide you with some samples of what they think you might like for a reasonable price. I think the minimum buy in is $50 but twice that would be better. In exchange you get a very good assortment to try.

Also, many retailers have sampler deals that might be a good idea.

I would stick with brands from the premium Vuelta Abajo region, then branch out to others; yes, you'll enjoy all of them.

When I first started out and didn't have a lot of dough to spend on smokes, I myself was grabbing a lot of petit coronas and smaller sized cigars. They give you a good value and let you try out different brands to get an idea of which ones you prefer.

And today, petit corona is just about the perfect size for me.

Ones I recommend:
Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs, Romeo No. 2 and No. 3 tubos - just about any RyJ pc or smaller size is a fav of mine
Partagas Mille Fleurs and Shorts - the Shorts are little firecrackers
Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas
Bolivar Petit Coronas and Coronas Junior - since I see you like full-bodied stuff, like LGC Serie R, these should be right up your alley
Montecristo No. 4 and No. 5
Trinidad Reyes - tiny cigar, but burns so slow it'll last an hour or more

<if you want to splurge> Cohiba Siglo I and Siglo II

i would second the bolivar petit coronas
if you like monte 2's, monte 4's are a nice cheap smoke

When i first started to smoke on a regular basis i was smoking Jose.L.Piedra (crema-cazadores ect),
They have a raw Cuban taste and anything you smoke from then has a lot more flavor.
As the other posters said the small Cubans have good flavors with different nuances.
If you like a Fuerte( full body ) cigar then try a RyJ Cazadore, the last one i had was really powerful and knocked my socks off.

Some NC's to try are Olivia V (especially the lancero), Frank Llaneza 1961, anything Padron, My Father, Perdomo has some solid sticks, Linga Privada and Chateau Real from Drew Estate, and La Flor Dominicana. Hope this helps!