• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Senate Approves New Tax Bill

sgates

CNN Article

Well, the Senate approved the "children's health initiative" and I don't see any mention of them potentially excluding cigars from the unreasonable taxation.

I have been on a buying spree as of late because I don't see this stopping (or a carve out of cigars) anytime soon. This is absolutely terrible for the entire industry.

CNN Article

Well, the Senate approved the "children's health initiative" and I don't see any mention of them potentially excluding cigars from the unreasonable taxation.

I have been on a buying spree as of late because I don't see this stopping (or a carve out of cigars) anytime soon. This is absolutely terrible for the entire industry.

President Bush has already said he will veto the bill if it gets to his desk, although not just for the Cigar Tax part. I think we are all safe for a little while....

Still very scary though!

Mason

Edited for spelling!

CNN Article

OK - you can buy me some.

Addy in profile.....Thanks!

CNN Article

President Bush has already said he will veto the bill if it gets to his desk, although not just for the Cigar Tax part. I think we are all safe for a little while....

Still very scary though!

Mason

Edited for spelling!

Yeah I should read before I post!!! A Veto-Proof margin with a 68-31 vote!!! Sucks big time!!!

Mason

CNN Article

OK - you can buy me some.

Addy in profile.....Thanks!

Ditto X 2

:D

CNN Article

Still very scary though!

Mason

Edited for spelling!

Yeah I should read before I post!!! A Veto-Proof margin with a 68-31 vote!!! Sucks big time!!!

Mason

Exactly - it looks like it may have enough support that even if he vetoes it, it will probably still go through. Bush doesn't have line item veto authority also, just total veto power (so he couldn't even weed out the stupid stuff IMO).

Senate and the House have to agree on a version of the law thats the same, then the new version has to be passed. Then it goes to the president. To override the eventual veto, it would need a 2/3s majority in both houses, and it isn't even close to that in the House.
My understanding is that is supposed to happen in September.

Keep the pressure on your senators and representatives!
A 2,000 to 6,000 percent increase in our taxes is unacceptable!

Jim

BAS..............TARDS!!!!

I heard about this passing on NPR. When going over where the taxes were coming from, the announcer only mentioned the extra tax (0.61) on packs of cigarettes. Nothing on cigars, but I'm sure the only newworthy thing to NPR was the fact that it would help all those kids who don't have health coverage, not the cigar smoking public at large.

What a shame.....
Darren

fugg....and to think i just got into this think it would be cheaper than any other hobby....

this really sucks...i'm calling Kay Bailey right now...

fugg....and to think i just got into this think it would be cheaper than any other hobby....

The guys from Ohio suck. I already emailed them several times with no response. Well, I suppose I could say, "bless the internet" and it's a damn good thing I'm going to be growing my own.

The guys from Ohio suck. I already emailed them several times with no response. Well, I suppose I could say, "bless the internet" and it's a damn good thing I'm going to be growing my own.

good luck growing your own....keep us posted as to how it goes

Senate and the House have to agree on a version of the law thats the same, then the new version has to be passed.

This is the key. Keep on your Representatives about the tax. $1.00 per cigar may suck, but it's still a lot better than (up to) $10.00!

Hmmmm, well I guess my money will be spent on "other" cigars then ;)

Just spoke to the aide to one of the Tenn. Senators. She implied that we can count on a Veto and the House has no where near the votes to be "Veto Proof".

Got the impression that several Senators, knowing it would not go into law, thought they could buy some good press by voting " for the children "

Seth

I already hit up the Guys from Alabama. No response. Grr...this blows chunks.

Got the impression that several Senators, knowing it would not go into law, thought they could buy some good press by voting " for the children "

I've had this impression for a while. When it gets down to the " nut cuttin' ", i.e. when pressed to vote for a veto override, how many of those guys will really put their schwanz on the line when they know they'll be held accountable?

The Dem controlled congress have used every opportunity to show the White House in poor light. This will be no exception. They started setting the stage for 2008 ever since they took control. I sincerely hope this measure does not pass nor is not overridden, and if it doesn't pass, you better watch out in 2009. We might not be so fortunate to have someone in the oval office who will treat this situation so favorably.

[political commentary / off]

I've had this impression for a while. When it gets down to the " nut cuttin' ", i.e. when pressed to vote for a veto override, how many of those guys will really put their schwanz on the line when they know they'll be held accountable?

The Dem controlled congress have used every opportunity to show the White House in poor light. This will be no exception. They started setting the stage for 2008 ever since they took control. I sincerely hope this measure does not pass nor is not overridden, and if it doesn't pass, you better watch out in 2009. We might not be so fortunate to have someone in the oval office who will treat this situation so favorably.

[political commentary / off]
These are the exact reasons why politicians are held in such little regard by most of the people I know. Very few of them (dare I say none of them) have the cajones to stand up for what is right and correct if they think it will cost them power. What happened to men and women of principle? This country is in a whole heap of trouble until term limits are put into place for these clowns. Unfortunately, the only ones with the power to do that are the very people that would "suffer" from it happening.

Fugg'em all... :angry: :angry: :angry: