• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sending a torch lighter to Afghanistan?

The Green Monkey

Brap-brap
I've got a cousin deployed over in Afghanistan and I'm planning on sending him one of CI's "Herf 'n Go Combos" (click) to get him started on cigars. He's pretty shy and socially anxious to begin with, and he's doing something associated with radio communications during the overnight shift, so he's got a fairly lonely, solitary assignment which certainly doesn't help with making friends. He doesn't smoke cigars yet (though he loves his Marlboros, much to his mother's chagrin...), but I'm hoping that maybe getting him interested in cigars might give him an avenue to help facilitate some interaction and friendship with some of the other cigar guys at his base.

Anyway, I'm curious whether it's acceptable for me to send a torch lighter to him. I've never mail-ordered a lighter, so I have no idea whether they are sent with fluid or empty, or if perhaps lighters are only sent by ground transport when mail-ordering them within the US, though that's obviously not an option for a package bound for Afghanistan...

Will a lighter be confiscated? Will the answer depend on whether it contains fuel or not? Will he likely be able to find fuel at the commissary?

Thanks!

1) I don't think it can contain fuel.
2) and more impotant is his access to fuel.

Gary's right, you'll have to send the lighter without fluid if you want it to get over there. Maybe one of the deployed members here can answer your question about the butane at the commissary. That's a pretty nice deal from CI. What cigars did you pick out?

Thanks for the insight!

Yeah, it seems like it'll make a nice, sturdy sort of starter kit. I think the DPG 5'er looks like a good place to start--no dog rockets, some good variety, and a decent range of mild to medium but no full-bodied monsters apt to make a noob puke. I'm going to send along a few more sticks along with one of Fuente's glorified Ziplocs and a Boveda pack for hassle-free humidification and storage.

I imagine that it might be best for me to just remove the lighter from the equation altogether. If it turns out he's got access to fuel, I'll send it along with my next care package. If not, he'll be able to make due with a cigarette lighter or whatever the rest of the cigar smokers use...

The problem isn't getting it over there...it's getting it home... once you fill it you can't mail it and it's a crap shoot depending on who inspects bags on the return flight home if you can get away with it in your carry on. I just got back from Iraq and was able to find plenty of butane. Shipping shouldn't be a problem there.... Xikar sent me 50 lighters and cutters to take care of my guys while I was deployed and they got through fine. But I'm sure what ever you send your cousin he'll appreciate it! Besides... matches still work!

Good luck and here's to your cousin's safe return!

Cheers!

R

I just wanted to commend you on your kindness on helping out your cousin. If there is any one specific thing someone can do to enjoy the company of others, it is lighting up a cigar. I pray for his safe return. :)

It varies from FOB to FOB, but for me, butane was readily available at the PX or a local native shop within the FOB.

As far as shipping it back, I packed mine in a butane safe travel capsule, bought from Cigarmony.com and they let it go just fine.....empty of butane of course.

Overall, I really don't see any issues.

Was that Iraq or Afghanistan, Wyatt? I never found any butane in AFG for the 15 months I was there. Figured that was because everything was flown in vice Iraq having a port. Maybe it was me or things have changed (it has been a year).

I'm just a noob here, please forgive me for speaking on my first day. I should know better!

I'm in Iraq now and I just ordered a lighter online and found out the hard way that they ship empty (at least Nibbo ships theirs empty). Worse, although I'm at a major base, they don't sell Butane at the BX or any of the other shops. I looked in to shipping butane here, but you can't legally ship it APO. I managed to find one vendor who offered to fill my lighter though.

Regardless, your idea is a terrific one. Worst case scenario, he uses a regular lighter for a few months until he gets home. It isn't ideal, but it'll certainly work.

Regards,

Alifbaa