• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Set It & Forget It Humidifier For Desktop Humidor

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
I have a standard, albeit primitive setup. I run a Credo humidifier in a C.A.O. desktop humidor with less than 100 cigars. I love cigars, but I am getting a bit tired of always checking on the humidor and wondering if the RH is at the right level. I recently found a Diamond Crown humidifier that allegedly disperses humidity only when it is needed. It's about $50 and I am considering that since it would be incredibly easy to maintain. I am looking for a "set it and forget it" option that doesn't break the bank (i.e. less than $60).

Any suggestions?

All will need some maintainance at some point.

Try the Premeir by Climmax at www.climmax.com

Tell Vern you are a CP'er.

And tell him I said "Howdy"

JerryG

I'm going to be placing my order soon for some Climmax as well.

It's truly the way to go.

Dave ;)

Speaking of that great new Media,
Where is Vern?

Hey Vern? You around still?

Im thinking now would be a good time to send him back those Lafinicas!

Hb..

Forgive my ignorance, but how is the Climmax media any better than floral foam? Basically what I have now is no better than oasis in a covered soap dish. Of course I use distilled water, but it seems a bit much. The other option is to use P/G solution, but that seems costly, considering I might have to spend $15 every 3-4 weeks for new soaking of the oasis in that solution. The significant advantage to P/G solution seems to be that it fights mold better than common or distilled water.

Anyone have an experience with the Diamond Crown humidifiers?

The climax Media actually is desgined for use for humidification.
They have 2 'formulas' for us cigar smokers.
One is 70% RH and the otehr is 65% RH.

What it does is rather cool. It will release moisture to the level that it is desgined for above that it absorbs it, therfore holding a constant target humidity.
The 65% RH product was developed as a request becasue 65% is the perfect humidity for cuban cigars, in the opinion of many cigar lovers. 70% makes them too soft or squishy.

So that McPatrickClan is what makes this stuff better.
It also doesn't hurt that the owner of the company is a long time member of Cigar Pass!

Hbooker

Climmax is better because it lasts longer, you don't have to check it every few days. If you're using only distilled water right now, you might be over-humidifying your cigars. 50/50 PG & water will keep it at 70%. Also, if you use PG, you don't have to refill the humidifier with PG all the time. You just load it up w/ 50/50 once and then refill with water when it gets dry.

Ohh Yeah and before you Scream SHILL..
I have not had a chance to use this product, I was only privy to some initial sample packs for testing and information behind the scenes.

But speaking of that, this is the product I will be using as soon as I can have some grow in my mailbox... (not so subtle hint)

Target of $60.00 ? Wally world cooler, ( 115 quart $40.00) Climmax 70 $24.00 per lb. = $65.00. Throw in ya gars, wet the Climmax as per directions and your set for 4-6 weeks depending on how much you open the cooler.

Wascal

hbooker said:
The 65% RH product was developed as a request becasue 65% is the perfect humidity for cuban cigars, in the opinion of many cigar lovers. 70% makes them too soft or squishy.
HB, what do you suggest as a general rule for cigars? 65 or 70%? I am not a stickler on details, but I have to admit, this thread was brought on by the fact that I ruined a Royal Jamica cigar last night by over-humidifying it.

I have 2 types of storage (well 3 if you count the lars humidor)
and I like 65% mostly.
Perdomo cant take 70 that great.. And I like their smokes..

You can't go wrong with climmax media. I use 3 film vials fill them with 70%media and 3 ml of distilled water and put them around my humidors, fill the humidifier with distilled water and they stay 70% exact for 2 weeks or more of opening daily. My coolerdors have a brick of oasis w/d- water and 1/2 pound of 65% media. I can go 2 or more months without filling it. Oh ya, I live in New Mexico were there the humidity is 0% really dry here.

65% is my target for all my gars. I also like Perdomo and tis a fact that they don't like 70%. But I find a lot less issues with draw and also with swelling and cracking when I keep close to 65%.

I currently use floral foam with 50/50 and re-wet with DH2O, but will switch to Beads as soon as I have enough gars to say I have "stock"

If anyone is looking for cheap Propylene Glycol (strait), go to your nearest wallgreens and ask the pharmacist to order you a bottle. 1 pint $7.00. Just let them know w hat you are using it for :p. they use it for indictable drugs..
And then you can mix it with your own distilled water and have enough to last quite some time.