• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Set of Wedges

kona1000

Buy Bitcoin
Just trying to figure out what I should get for wedges? I have the Nike Tiger set- the 52,56,60- they have about 5 years on 'em and I'm ready for a new set?

What do you think of the Titelist, Cleveland, or another set of Nike?

What do you think?

You got to go Cleveland. If you are looking for a deal Sports Authority and Dick's still sell the older models brand with the old grooves. You will have until mid 2012 to buy the old grooves before the USGA rule changes officially I believe.

If you don't care the new zip groove CG15 Cleveland is great too. I have it in a 48.

I have 2 CG12 Black Pearl wedges and love them. The dark face is particularly nice on ultra-sunny days. I can't remember what my sand wedge is, but it's a Cleveland too (I destroy 56* wedges from being in the traps too much and chipping with SW).

I could be wrong on the zip grooves, but I think they will be allowed for amateur golf through 2014. They tear up golf balls fast, but it does make it easier to bite on hard greens.

The Titleist Vokey wedges are pretty good too, but I find them to be much less forgiving than the Clevelands.

You should try to find a place with an indoor hitting mat and try them all out. The weighting of the different wedges (not to mention bounce rating) will make them feel and play differently. If there is a Golf Galaxy near you I'd check it out, maybe you can even find used wedges for half the price.

I went with the CG14s

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Wedges can be very difficult in that you want to test them, as feel around the greens is important.

You also want to check the bounce and lie angle. If you play in tight fairways or fluffy sand a 56-8 will play different than a 56-14.

You may also want to see if your a 'digger'(big divot) or 'sweeper' (little or no divot)

Go off you PW for what degree to start with. I have a 47 PW and then a 50-56-60. I'll probably look at putting it at 51-57 or 58 and getting rid of the 60.

If you play a lot, you may look at getting a new set every year or so.

I had a couple of CG's but moved back to mizuno as they felt better. I'll probably get some Vokey's next year...well see!

Enjoy your new toys!

I just got a set of vokey wedges(52,56,60) and I love em. If you want a set, I can get them for you for 85 each plus shipping or if you're in socal (LA to SD) we can meet up. If anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

If I were you I'd find a course with a good pro shop and play some clubs first before settling on a set. Really, recommendations are no good unless you feel right with the clubs. It's hit or miss, all about feel and that is a personal preference.

Back