• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sharpening a Bullet Casing

rvhguy

So I use a discarded 30-06 casing as a punch - it's a good size, easy to carry around, et cetera. But it's not particularly sharp, and it's gotten a little less sharp as time goes on.

Now, of course I could just grab a new shell - but I wonder if there's a way to sharpen the edge of the one I'm using (or another, cleaner casing.)

Any thoughts?

RVH

How about an RCBS camfering tool...?? I know if you "overuse" them you can really sharpen the heck out of case mouths...??

Check HD or Lowe's for a small (hand) diamond file. Does great on knife edges. Simple to put the edge back on.

holy crap I never even thought about using a piece of spent brass as a punch. I've got tons of that. I'm an avid shooter. My .45's and AR will have to be pried from my cold dead hands!!!

I think the 5.56 would be a bit small......45acp might be a bit big....What you all think 9mm or .380 should be about the right size.

I'm gonna have to try that though.

holy crap I never even thought about using a piece of spent brass as a punch. I've got tons of that. I'm an avid shooter. My .45's and AR will have to be pried from my cold dead hands!!!

I think the 5.56 would be a bit small......45acp might be a bit big....What you all think 9mm or .380 should be about the right size.

The 30-06 does a pretty good job -- and it's a bit larger than most commercial punches, one of the reasons I like it. I think much larger and you'd be concerned about cigars in the 45 ring gauge range (I smoke a reasonable number of coronas, so...)

RVH

I personally have 7 different sized punches, they all serve a purpose. So just my $.02, sharpen all your rounds and as I learned from Greg (Kingantz), start with the smallest and work your way up until the draw is perfect for you.

Didn't Billy May sell a Bullet Sharpener in one of those early morning informercials? ;)

Countersink bit. Chamfer tool will cover the inside and out.

Just out of curiousity, do you clean out the shell? Wouldn't the remnents of the burnt powder affect the taste or smell?

Just out of curiousity, do you clean out the shell? Wouldn't the remnents of the burnt powder affect the taste or smell?

Now that's an anal thought. But look on the bright side, instead of chocolate you could taste hint of nitrates.
Doc.

This is actually a neat idea. And c'mon guys...nitrates are tasty!....right?....Guys?

As soft as brass is I would think just a small bit of time on a stone would do the job.
Now it you are using some kind of russian steel case... ; )

Seth

The nitrates might taste bad but if there was any remnnants of lead it might actually taste a bit sweet. The romans used it as a sweetener.