• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

I'll get it out to you tomorrow. Make sure you watch the videos before you use it.

Doc.

Yup, it's just a start. Pretty soon you acquire acquisition disorders. RAD, SCAD, SBAD. I own 26 razors, 5 brushes and enough tubs of shave cream to last the rest of my like. Have you thought about what razor blades you're going to use? I like Feathers. They have a reputation for being extremely sharp and unforgiving, but I think that's BS. They're a great blade.

Doc.

Watch out for those acquisition disorders! I had it pretty bad for a while. Gary, yours is a good start but like Doc said, you could end up going berserk with it. Another place for creams and soaps that is really good is D.R. Harris. The Arlington and Marlboro are good stuff.

I'm a fan of the Feather blades as well. Never had an issue with them.

Edit to Add
Also Proraso is some of the best shave cream out there IMHO.

You can find sample double blades here: www.WestCoastShaving.com

I am working through some now. Have advanced from Walgreen's now to Bic saving Feather for last.

Also bought some D.R. Harris (Arlington) from WestCoast. Ordered a bowl and they sent me a refill in error so in the end after they corrected it I have two cakes of Arlington. The owner is a member of Badger & Blade .com. Note if you join B&B you get a discount from WestCoast as a member too!

I have an old Gillette Tech Safety Razor that is apparently junk from what I read. Am searching for a different one as I think this one has a tendency to skin you :)

Not yet competitive with my Mach3 but I am searching as I am too cheap to continue down that path.

The Tech is considered a fairly mild razor and often recomended for the new DE shaver. If you're skinning yourself with it, it could be the angle that your're shaving at or your lather isn't slick enough. Soaps take a while to master. Try a cream and see if you don't get better results.

Doc.

You can find sample double blades here: www.WestCoastShaving.com

I am working through some now. Have advanced from Walgreen's now to Bic saving Feather for last.

Also bought some D.R. Harris (Arlington) from WestCoast. Ordered a bowl and they sent me a refill in error so in the end after they corrected it I have two cakes of Arlington. The owner is a member of Badger & Blade .com. Note if you join B&B you get a discount from WestCoast as a member too!

I have an old Gillette Tech Safety Razor that is apparently junk from what I read. Am searching for a different one as I think this one has a tendency to skin you :)

Not yet competitive with my Mach3 but I am searching as I am too cheap to continue down that path.

You might also consider trying a Gillette adjustable. That way you can dial it down to minimize the chance for bloodshed and open it up as you get better.

Using a Mach 3 is like smoking Swisher Sweets. :laugh: If you'd like to try a DE, I have an extra 48-49 Gillette Super Speed that I would be happy to send to you. Some, if not most, consider it the best DE ever made. Straights are nice but it's a wicked steep learning curve that involves blood, not to mention the high maintenance. While I think of it, making a proper lather is not as easy as one might think. Go HERE and watch the videos.

Doc.

I agree with you 100% Doc. My 1949 Super Speed is my favourite DE at the moment, paired with a Feather blade and you can't go wrong. I find that it is not as agressive as 1950's Super Speeds. A slim or Fatboy adjustable are also good, because as was said earlier, you can control how agressive your shave is.
As for Truefitt and Hill, GFT, TOB products I agree that although expensive, they are outstanding products and you get what you pay for.

Pete

Got it....thanks Doc.

Also got the set in.

We'll see how things go this weekend. :thumbs:

This thread has got me pondering changing my shaving style...

This thread has got me pondering changing my shaving style...

Me too. Been using the Mach 3, and need to reorder some more blades... Thinking about going all out with the straight edge. Used to go to an old Italian barber when I was a kid, for about 17 years. Loved the feeling of hot lather and the glide of a straight edge down my neck. :love:

I have an older type of razor that I use. Well, I haven't used in a long time. Its a double blade that goes in a goofy looking set up. But its been over 2 years since I've actually shaved my poor face. I usually love going to Barbers but the one in town really sucks when it comes to trimming beards. The one barber in the old town in Missouri...now he was freaking awesome when it came to hair cuts and beards. One of the best I've ever seen across 7 states I've lived in.

I only shave in the summer and only half of my face at that. I use a 1950s Super Speed that my Grandfather gave me and I forget what brush. I use the C.O. Bigelow cream your wife can buy you at Bath & Body Works. It's very similar to Proraso. If you live near an outlet mall, I found the tubes at the B&BW outlet for $2 each. I now have enough to last most of the rest of my life. :laugh:

I don't go for all the fancy post shave stuff. A little witch hazel followed with good old fashioned Old Spice does just fine for me.

Got it....thanks Doc.

Also got the set in.

We'll see how things go this weekend. :thumbs:

Gary,

If you like it, I have about 10 different kinds of DE blades that I'd be happy to give you a sample of. Probably have 10 different types of creams and soaps, another 10 after shave splashes and balms. (15 if you count Bay Rums). I've got a few razors you could try out too, from the newer Merkurs to the Super Speeds (going back to about 1965).

If you want to get into Straight Razors, I have 20 or so of those, and I'd be happy top hone one up for you (even a brand new straight razor is NOT shave ready, NO MATTER WHAT THE RETAILER OR MANUFACTURER SAYS...unless you buy from a handful of reputable shaving sites that use a true "honemeister" to get the edges up to speed) and let you try it out. Straights have a slightly scarier learning curve, but if you're careful and don't get ahead of yourself, they give you FANTASTIC shaves if you stick with it. Plus it gives me a chance to play with really sharp things every morning! Yippee!

Oh...and soaps can be a pain to get a real nice lather with. If you're having trouble getting to to fluff up like meringue, I give tutorials. My two favorite soaps both behave very differently, too. (Tabac and Mitchells Wool Fat).

Of course, that would mean you'd actually have to make it up to the house!

I was really having a good laugh when I found out there was a forum to talk about shaving but the more I read this thread, the more I too am pondering changing my whole shaving experience.

I use a double blade Bic disposable and Jack Black shave lotion. I have REALLY sensitive skin and the Bic is the only razor that lets me go both with and against the grain without or with minimal razor burn. Granted I have to cover the same area in several passes to get smooth. Would I have trouble with a DE safety razor?

I'm intrigued and my wife is pissed that I'm going to start another hobby :laugh:

I was really having a good laugh when I found out there was a forum to talk about shaving but the more I read this thread, the more I too am pondering changing my whole shaving experience.

I use a double blade Bic disposable and Jack Black shave lotion. I have REALLY sensitive skin and the Bic is the only razor that lets me go both with and against the grain without or with minimal razor burn. Granted I have to cover the same area in several passes to get smooth. Would I have trouble with a DE safety razor?

I'm intrigued and my wife is pissed that I'm going to start another hobby :laugh:

With a little practice, it's easy to get a great shave with no razor burn using a DE. Check out Mantic's videos that Doc linked to earlier in the thread.

I have REALLY sensitive skin and the Bic is the only razor that lets me go both with and against the grain without or with minimal razor burn. Granted I have to cover the same area in several passes to get smooth. Would I have trouble with a DE safety razor?

Actually, a lot of guys end up going DE for that exact reason: sensitive skin combined with a tough beard. There's less irritation (a LOT less) with a properly handled DE, and a three-pass shave (with, across, against) is pretty much the norm.

Takes a few more minutes, but they're enjoyable minutes. My morning shave is my daily "moment of Zen."

~Boar

With a little practice, it's easy to get a great shave with no razor burn using a DE. Check out Mantic's videos that Doc linked to earlier in the thread.

I have a super sensitive skin as well. Thus you will see me sporting a beard pretty much all year round. The Army made me shave 4 times a day since they didn't believe I did at 5:30am every morning. Then have 5 o'clock shadow by 6:30am. The Sergeant even watched me and I am not talking Basic Training here. I'm talking about my actual Unit. LOL!!! If a razor even hits my skin now, it automatically breaks out into a itching rash. Nothing can stop it. But then again, I can not have the back of my neck shaved to close or it breaks out into a nasty rash that takes several weeks to heal.

The question I would ask you Okiesmoke is this...You have problems with other things like soap and what not?