• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

Tihs got me thinking also, my girl got me a art of shaving kit last year.All I need now ids a DE razor. Im off to ebay got a bid now on a merkur HD hopfully I get it. I don't shave as much as I should, because I get bad razer burn hopfuly this helps.

Tihs got me thinking also, my girl got me a art of shaving kit last year.All I need now ids a DE razor. Im off to ebay got a bid now on a merkur HD hopfully I get it. I don't shave as much as I should, because I get bad razer burn hopfuly this helps.
It will help, but it takes some time. Your face has to adjust and you need to develop your technique. Your first DE shave is likley to be a disaster. Don't get discouraged. It's worth the pain and...blood.

Doc.

Imagine your face is a rough block of wood and the razor a plane. Eventually it will be smooth after yo plane off all those bumps.

Just kidding. :laugh:

I've read through all this and am now curious. Of those many of you using SE and DE shaving techniques, who has any comparative experience with the newest products as well?

Myself, it's been years since I last used a DE. (I'll be 50 this year, BTW.) I have never used a straight razor or single edge. Currently, I have been using the Gillette Fusion with their same-branded HydraGel. First a hot shower to soften and open up the pores, shave at the sink, final rinse with cold water and pat dry. I finish with Zirh Erase.

I have moderately sensitive neck area, but this combination allows me to shave every day now without any irritation issues. Moreover, it is the closest shave Ive ever had, bar none. I can often skip a day if I feel like it, and only by the end of Day 2 would anyone else notice. Only once have I had a barbershop shave, and this method I'm using is absolutely a much closer shave. I don't know if I'd be inclined to go through any more ritual that I am now, and this straight razor thing does seem like a lot more work for what may well be nowhere near as close.

That's why I am asking if anyone has really compared the Fusion system (not the older Mach 3) to say definitively that straight razors with good soap and lather really gives that close of a shave. I'm having trouble believing. ;)

Are all DE safety razors adjustable? What's a barber comb? I've done internet searches and nothing comes up other than the history of the development of safety razors ending with the fifteen blade plastic models at Wal Mart.

I've read through all this and am now curious. Of those many of you using SE and DE shaving techniques, who has any comparative experience with the newest products as well?

Myself, it's been years since I last used a DE. (I'll be 50 this year, BTW.) I have never used a straight razor or single edge. Currently, I have been using the Gillette Fusion with their same-branded HydraGel. First a hot shower to soften and open up the pores, shave at the sink, final rinse with cold water and pat dry. I finish with Zirh Erase.

I have moderately sensitive neck area, but this combination allows me to shave every day now without any irritation issues. Moreover, it is the closest shave Ive ever had, bar none. I can often skip a day if I feel like it, and only by the end of Day 2 would anyone else notice. Only once have I had a barbershop shave, and this method I'm using is absolutely a much closer shave. I don't know if I'd be inclined to go through any more ritual that I am now, and this straight razor thing does seem like a lot more work for what may well be nowhere near as close.

That's why I am asking if anyone has really compared the Fusion system (not the older Mach 3) to say definitively that straight razors with good soap and lather really gives that close of a shave. I'm having trouble believing. ;)

Yes, I have. I often travel with the fusion. Well, up until maybe three months ago, when I stopped using them entirely. The straight, when everything omes together right, is superior in closeness, comfort, and almsot more importantly, how long the shave lasts. DOn't know why...it doesn't even make sense. THERE IS NO REASON WHY IT SHOULD BE, other than a closer shave takes longer to grow out. But the difference is FAR more that that should be able to accomplish.
I was not a believer until I got my first REALLY good straight shave.

Are all DE safety razors adjustable? What's a barber comb? I've done internet searches and nothing comes up other than the history of the development of safety razors ending with the fifteen blade plastic models at Wal Mart.

Oops...multi-post.

No, not all DE's are adjustable. As a matter of fact, I hate every adjustable razor I have ever tried (and I think I have tried them all). All the great vinatage Super Speeds out there are not, neither are the Merkur Classic, Slant, HD (heavy Duty), and long handled varients of all of those. I'll jump on Doc's great offer...if you want to try out an old super speed, shoot me a PM, and I'll loan one out to you, and send out a few different blades to try, and maybe a few samples of other stuff, too. Just a note...give each blade at least two or three shaves before you decide it's not for you. A lot of guys would say go through at least to or three of each blade!
A barber comb, I believe, is what is also referred to as an "open comb." Where the balde sits in in a DE razor, the little "bar" instead of being solid, it is shaped like a comb, allowing the skin the strech some more through the openings, and giving a closer, though more aggressive shave. I have used them, and they are nice when matched with the perfect blade, perfect angle, and perfect prep. I'm very rarely that perfect, so I got a bit of irritation with a Feather blade. With my preferred blades, I did alright though. I prefer a straight to any DE, though.

Check out badger and blade, and The SHave Den for great info on DE shaving.

Straightrazorplace for straight shaving. (though those other sites have straight sections, and SRP has a DE section)

It will help, but it takes some time. Your face has to adjust and you need to develop your technique. Your first DE shave is likley to be a disaster. Don't get discouraged. It's worth the pain and...blood.

Doc.
Lost the ebay war but ended up geting the HD long handel barberpole and the sampler set of blades from WestCoast looking foward to it.

I use Gillette Fusion and I think the 5 blades does an excellent job :) I also use Zirh shave cream and I find that a lot better than shaving foam :)

After reading some of these posts I joined badgerandblade forum about a month ago. My GF brought me an Art of Shave starter kit for valentines day. Then a couple of weeks ago I picked up a vintage gillette slim adjustable off of Ebay, a puck of some no name soap and I was off to the races. I have completed two shaves with my new DE. It was the first I had ever shaved with one (I am 33) and it was friggin great. The only thing I can compare it too is how many of us feel about smoking cigars. Its not so much the shave itself but that ritual and taking a few extra moments for yourself. I am definitely just learning and getting my basic technique down but I truly look forward to shaving now.

Just curious. How many shaves anyone gets out of a disposable razor like EXCEL . I shave every day and they only good for 3-4 shaves before dulling. At about $2 ea I'm considering an electric.
Any recommendations ?

You talking about the Gillette Sensor Excel? If so, that's a large part of the reason people are going back to double edge razors. Cartridges are getting more expensive, and the amount of time they last is not commensurate with the price paid.

To answer your question, 4 to 5 shaves is about all I'd expect with my beard.

After reading some of these posts I joined badgerandblade forum about a month ago. My GF brought me an Art of Shave starter kit for valentines day. Then a couple of weeks ago I picked up a vintage gillette slim adjustable off of Ebay, a puck of some no name soap and I was off to the races. I have completed two shaves with my new DE. It was the first I had ever shaved with one (I am 33) and it was friggin great. The only thing I can compare it too is how many of us feel about smoking cigars. Its not so much the shave itself but that ritual and taking a few extra moments for yourself. I am definitely just learning and getting my basic technique down but I truly look forward to shaving now.

It's a slippery slope once you start traditional wetshaving, there is so much to try and if you develop RAD (Razor Aquisition Disorder) then you'd better make room in your shave den, you'll need it.
As far as technique goes, I have been shaving with a double edge for about 4 months and it is only now that my technique is getting to be sound. I agree 100% about the ritual , it is a relaxing indulgence, just like a cigar.

Pete

I used to use an old Remington electric when I was a teen, but switched to the Sensor Excel around 13 years ago. Kept upgrading with the Gilette line, Mach3, and Fusion. Just last year I decided I wanted to try electric again and found a good deal on the Braun 8985 and decided to jump at it. I've been really happy with it. It does a real nice job for an electric.
I still keep the Fusion around for when I shave my head, and every now and then still use it on my face. I find I like the convenience of the electric, especially since I can give myself a good shave in a matter of minutes, right before I head out the door and realized that was the one thing I forgot to do.

You guys are horrible :angry: . And I mean all of you. Is it not bad enough that with the cigar reviews, and what have you bought today, I have spent $100's on sticks I have seen you all talk about enjoying :love: ? The build your own humi posts are scary good and I am sure between the cost to purchase the furniture, the cost to make a humi out of it, and then "Oh No Mr. Bill" the cost to fill it, I may need a second and third job.

Now I have to try wet shaving :0 . Sh*t, holy mother of ***, dangnabits. You guys are a seriously bad influence :D .

My dad always shaved with a Norelco electric. Naturally when I grew into a face I bought his brand and used it for many years. I recently (past year) replaced mine and it is the worst I've used. I kept meaning to write them a note about the cheaper construction, less battery life and poorer cut than any I have owned before but I'm lazy. I just switched to a box of disposable, junk food, Walmart disposables and now I am intrigued by this thread. I heard about the Art of Shave store here a while back and now I really want to go.

PJ

I used a Norelco for probably close to 25 years . . . same one. No idea how old it actually is; inherited it from a girlfriend's grandfather when he passed away. Went through several sets of cutters and at least one new set of screen heads . . . when it finally started sputtering (loose connection somewhere inside) I had to choose between replacing it, and trying something completely different.

'Bout then a dang wetshaver joined a forum I was on . . . :laugh:

Coming up on a year of badger brushes and traditional shave creams/soaps and a vintage Gillette DE safety razor and I ain't going back! The shave's great and it's my morning "moment of Zen." Love it.

~Boar

I've been a Mach 3 man since its inception. I have no problem paying $9 for 4 blades for refill. Then again...I don't shave much