• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

At age 62, I have been shavin for a while now. In th epast I have used the Norelco (40 years ago) and went back to wetshaving. I have used every cream and soap known to man, but about 5 years ago, I threw all that crap away and begin using nothing but hot water. I have much better razor control, no slick cream makin it slide, I can see exactly what I am doing, I get a closer shave, and my face does not break out from all the "new and improved" crap they put in the shave cream. Finally, I get more shaves out of a blade as the cream does not attack the blade...
I will never go back!

Ed

I pretty much use an electric clipper for everything, works for my head, works for my face, hell, it even works for my cat.

DSCN0184.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

This has been a great thread. I was really tempted to buy something when I looked into the window at Truefitt & Hill on my little London-St James Street walk-about a few weeks ago . Now I've done all sorts of research with them and Edwin Jagger... I certainly have some suggestions for the wife come Father's Day.

Thanks for posting all of the links as well everybody. From those tutorials I've already improved my technique somewhat with only my Mach 3. I can't wait to get a badger hair brush and some real shaving cream.

This has been a great thread. I was really tempted to buy something when I looked into the window at Truefitt & Hill on my little London-St James Street walk-about a few weeks ago . Now I've done all sorts of research with them and Edwin Jagger... I certainly have some suggestions for the wife come Father's Day.

Thanks for posting all of the links as well everybody. From those tutorials I've already improved my technique somewhat with only my Mach 3. I can't wait to get a badger hair brush and some real shaving cream.
Get a real razor and load it with Feather blades. No technique is required with a Mach 3. British vintage Gillettes are wonderful razors. A little better than their American cousins. Also, check out Trumpers shave cream. Their rose scented provides a wondful and luxurious shave.

Doc.

What's your favourite razor at the moment Doc? Mine is a 1951 Aristocrat, it is a joy to shave with. I also picked up a cased 1930's Aristocrat, which has yet to arrive. I have RAD pretty bad at the moment.

Pete

I've managed to acquire 37 of 'em. I hate to single one out, but I use my Mergress (customized Merkur Progress) most often.

Doc.

I've managed to acquire 37 of 'em. I hate to single one out, but I use my Mergress (customized Merkur Progress) most often.

Doc.

37, Wow!. When I hear that I think perhaps my RAD isn't as bad as it could be. They are addictive once you start collecting though.

Pete

#85 - Truefitt is awesome. I use their whole kit. A little pricey, but if you have a thick beard or a tough beard, it is amazing. Having a non-oil based lather makes the shave a lot closer and reduces a lot of the razor burn I used to get. A lot of cigar shops now carry it too.

Get a real razor and load it with Feather blades. No technique is required with a Mach 3. British vintage Gillettes are wonderful razors. A little better than their American cousins. Also, check out Trumpers shave cream. Their rose scented provides a wondful and luxurious shave.

Doc.

I'm thinking I just might do that. Maybe not a vintage razor, but the new EJ DE razors look nice. Geo F Trumpers' creams looked really great too.

Edit for poor spelling.

Get a real razor and load it with Feather blades.

Be warned the Feathers are very sharp. I tend to slice myself up the first couple days on a new blade then it seems to work perfectly for a couple weeks. The Merkurs seem to work right off the bat for me but don't seem to last as long as the Feathers. Makes sense I suppose.

OK since I started about a month. Now I have 3 razors (mercur 38c, a 48-50 super speed, and a and a 54 flair tip), 2 brushes ( the art of shaving and a $25 ebay special delong). My razor burn is down at least by 90% and had almost no problem with switching.

OK since I started about a month. Now I have 3 razors (mercur 38c, a 48-50 super speed, and a and a 54 flair tip), 2 brushes ( the art of shaving and a $25 ebay special delong). My razor burn is down at least by 90% and had almost no problem with switching.

Your almost a real man now.

Your almost a real man now.

Not yet. I still need to grow some hair on my chest, and learn how to drink more than two bottles of beer.

Doc.

I'm thinking I just might do that. Maybe not a vintage razor, but the new EJ DE razors look nice. Geo F Trumpers' creams looked really great too.

Edit for poor spelling.

The EJ razors are fine. They're essentially a Merkur HD razor head with a fancy handle. They are more expensive, though. You might consider as a cheaper alternative something like this.

Scene: Denver, Colorado (Lower Downtown) @ Floyd's Barber Shop.

Date: 12/18/2009

Crime: The systematic destruction of my face via straight shave.

Notes: The 'bloodied look' wasn't quite what I was going for. They gave me a $5 discount for the 'nick' on my face. There were so many of these 'nicks' that I'm still not sure which one I got the discount was for. Maybe the barber meant the cut across my left cheek? I've grown a beard ever since, in an effort to let my poor face heal, but I now feel the urge to shave once more.

New Issue: Here in Krakow, I struggle to find my old shaving supplies. I'm strongly considering a change to my routine but I clearly don't want to do to myself what the barber did to me. I found a Polish site that sells shaving supplies. Ordering from it is my preferred route but their options are kind of on the short side. I still use a Kingsley Brush and a Merkur Double Edge Safety Razor. I'm currently considering the use of Omega shave cream and Feather platinum blades.

Anybody have any feedback on Omega shave cream? Is there any particular precaution I should take before using Feathers?

Much Obliged,

Mark

P.S. Next time I get a straight shave, I'll interrogate the barber to his practice and experience. Lesson learned...

Feather blades have a reputation for being extra-sharp. A lot of folks are frightened by them. Personally, I think it's a bunch of bull. I've used them successfully in both Merkur and Gillette razors. It's your technique that really matters. Pay close attention to the angle of the razor on your face. BTW, get a new barber!

Doc.

Feather blades do give me a very close shave, but I've never considered them dangerous as some seem to. The edge lasts a good while, too. I've used them pretty much since I started traditional wet shaving.

No experience with the Omega.

Check this out- is this the same Omega? Omega Shaving Soap with Eucalyptus Oil I don't have any experience with it, but B&B is a great resource and hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Great bump btw... I've now acquired two razors, a very good Rooney brush and my first Feathers should be arriving in the mail any day now. My shaving cream rotation is T&H Grafton, TOBS Lavender and GFT Rose (great suggestion Doc, thanks!), and I'm planning on adding TOBS Avocado and a Lime of some sort to that rotation soon.

I used to hate shaving, but now it's almost as enjoyable as smoking a cigar. I have the fine BOTLs who posted in this thread to thank for that!