• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

So yesterday, I read this entire thread. Until now, I have looked at shaving as a pain in the ass. I got to thinking, why not do it right and see if it is something that I could enjoy, and maybe I would look a little better. Until now, I have used Bics and Barbasol.

I live in a small town 200 miles from anything so unless it is sold at Walmart or Walgreens, I ain't getting it for a while. I looked at some websites and read some forums, and I am not ready to spend $200-$300 in shaving stuff yet.

I went to both of the stores and ended up with a Fusion handle and some refills. I also bought some Neutrogena Q-10 shaving cream and some of their matching after shave lotion. I am very happy for the $30.00 that I spent and people noticed the difference on the first day. My face feels better (no burning following the shave) and no shaving bumps on my neck! I actually enjoyed shaving this morning and hopefully that will continue.

Just like cigars, guns, etc. I will start small and build the collection.

To be honest, for another ~$30 and you could have had a good wet shaving setup. An Edwin Jager Best badger brush and a Merkur HD. Really, that is all you need to start with as Williams Mug soap is sold at CVS, and I think Walgreens, for a few bucks.

What I should have said is thank you for the recommendations and I will follow up on them. I appreciate the time you took to give me some guidance. Day two with the (semi) good stuff and what a difference. I wish I had done it sooner.

Yep, you don't need much, I have an old razor a WWII Gillette that was my grandfathers, I bought a brush but don't always use it....There are some good creams to be had out there. I use a coffee mug to lather when I do, but a lot of times I just face lather. I am not going back to any other way.
Also, Doc's advice of Feathers is spot on, tried a bunch of blades and wound up buying a 100 pack of Feather blades off Amazon, they are a great blade.

Also, Doc's advice of Feathers is spot on, tried a bunch of blades and wound up buying a 100 pack of Feather blades off Amazon, they are a great blade.

x2. I bought the same 100 pack after a trial sampler of Feathers. Doc certainly hasn't steered anyone wrong yet. I won't shave with another blade now.

Aint nothing like a fine cigar and oiling up my razors! Currently smoking an Oliva sieres G box press and drinking a Victora Mexican lager. mmmmm ;D
photo37.jpg

I have used DR Harris Arlington for a few years but recently added Tobac and Wool Fat to the rotation. Both very good.

Add a teaspoon of water to the bar before showering. Once ready to shave run the brush over the soap until it gets clumpson the brush. Then transfer that clump to a soap mug and whip till whipped cream.

Hey yall, here is a little 7 day set I just picked up ;D
7day.jpg

photo44.jpg

Picked up a tub of Geo F Trumper violet....awesome stuff!

I also came across a couple safety razors that my g/f's dad had at his place. 

I picked up some barbicide (too much)...now need to soak them. 

Oh...love the Feather blades still!! (thanks Doc!) 

grateful1 said:

GF Trumpers has some great stuff, I grabbed their coconut oil cream last summer and thought it was excellent.  I also really enjoy their coral and lime "Skin Food" as an aftershave.

Holy Hell, some of you guys are serious about a few facial hairs. I can't grow a beard for shit and I hate shaving, so cheap razors for me.

grateful1 said:

Man Feathers are terrible for me but I seem to be one of the few.  

Nice bump... wife got me some Penhaligon's Sartorial soap last Father's Day, along with a cologne sampler.  Both have been great.

Trumpers Lime Skinfood is fantastic, especially in the summertime!

I've always wanted to get a straight razor for shaving my head.
I'm glad you guys brought this thread back alive again.  It's an interesting read.

Timely bump. Just placed my yearly order for shave cream and blades this morning. Trumper's Limes, Coconut, Almond and GFT, an atomizer of Limes cologne and enough Feather blades to last a year or so.
I don't understand the problem some have with Feathers. Sharper is better. I only cut myself with dull ones and that's just about everything else.

Doc

bfreebern said:
Holy Hell, some of you guys are serious about a few facial hairs. I can't grow a beard for shit and I hate shaving, so cheap razors for me.

Bet they do hell on your legs! 

Devil Doc said:
Timely bump. Just placed my yearly order for shave cream and blades this morning. Trumper's Limes, Coconut, Almond and GFT, an atomizer of Limes cologne and enough Feather blades to last a year or so.
I don't understand the problem some have with Feathers. Sharper is better. I only cut myself with dull ones and that's just about everything else.

Doc
Been using Feathers since you mentioned them in this thread. I wont go back to any other.

bfreebern said:
That fuggin' tiara you wear is probably restricting blood flow to you facial hair follicles. 

Doc

Devil Doc said:

That fuggin' tiara you wear is probably restricting blood flow to you facial hair follicles. 

Doc

Ha, either that or I have some Native American in me, from somewhere up the line.

Devil Doc said:

Doc
I dunno if it is sharpness or what, feathers just seem to catch skin for me. I can do fine with equally sharp blades and a professionally sharpened straight too but always get awful razor burn from feathers. The blades do seem particularly thin so I am wondering if that has something to do with it (based on no particular evidence).

Nashkicker said:

Doc
Been using Feathers since you mentioned them in this thread. I wont go back to any other.

I agree to a certain extent.  A mild or moderate razor and a feather is a match made from above.  For me feathers and a very aggressive razor like a Muhle R41 I get some irritation going against the grain especially on the mustache area.  I rotate through Feathers, Polsilver SI (my favorite all arounder), and Personna Lab Blues depending on my razor.  

I also spoiled myself last year and bought a Brain Bowl of Martin De Candre soap.  That and Tabac, It is all I have used this winter.  Love those two soaps.  If you haven't tried either do yourself favor and give them a go.  

I switched to a Merkur Slant a while back and absolutely love it with my Feathers.  BEST COMBO!  I've been thinking of looking around for some other Slants to try now.