• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sherlock Holmes

anvil

Distant Member
Ok mates.
I know he is not a real person, but myself and a couple of old returned service men from the RSA I drink at wondered if it was known what brand of Pipe and Tobacco he used.
Now this is going back to WW11 vets so not to many smart assed answers please :whistling: :laugh:

TIA
Dave

From what I've been able to find the particular "blend" is unknown. Many speculate that it was some sort of Latakia blend because it is described as "vile black shag" by Watson, but "shag" was used to describe any coarse cut tobacco during the time the stories were written.

If anyone finds out anymore I'd love to hear it. I really enjoy the stories and the quirks of Mr. Holmes.

From what I've been able to find the particular "blend" is unknown. Many speculate that it was some sort of Latakia blend because it is described as "vile black shag" by Watson, but "shag" was used to describe any coarse cut tobacco during the time the stories were written.

If anyone finds out anymore I'd love to hear it. I really enjoy the stories and the quirks of Mr. Holmes.
I'm sort of a casual Sherlockian. I've read the books three times and am now on my fourth reading. What the Bastige relates is all I can find about Holme's tobacco. It was just a vile black shag which he kept by the fireplace in the toe of a Persian slipper. One particular habit of his was to save all the dotles of the previous day and smoke them as his first bowl of the day. Holmes was not a hobbyist, but a smoker who also used cigarettes and cigars. He could identify more that 85 kinds of cigar ash. BTW he rarely smoked a calabash or wore a deerstalker cap.

Doc.

As a diehard fan (reading Sherlock actually got me into pipes initially), thanks for all the information. Because of him, I only smoke out of bent stem pipes.