• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shipping cigars

Infinity

Infinity - *Unbounded space, time, or quantity*
I have been thinking about this because I'm waiting for a package that should have taken 2 to 3 days at the most and
according to the tracking, may arrive today (holding thumbs), 10 days after they were shipped.

Perhaps there's no definitive answer and perhaps there's a scientific answer (cough cough, Prof Wilkey)

No definitive answer because weather is a variable or, can we average out the weather to arrive at an answer?

The time frame of 3 weeks pops up in my head. Meaning, if cigars are not stored correctly for 3 weeks they cannot be recovered.

So, what are your thoughts?

Brian

I had a davidoff in a unseasoned humi for multiple years a was amazed that I was able to rehydrate it

Im just a novice

i'd say it depends on the packaging, and obviously climate.

Great question Brian.

I've had cigars shipped to me that took two weeks with no issues at all. I try not to buy any cigars during the summer period unless they are shipped over night. Three weeks isn't that long, but as has been mentioned packing is the important factor. I wonder how long it takes a box of cigars to get from Nicaragua to the US? It probably is longer than three weeks if it shipped by container ship and clears Customs. YMMV

When I sent a box out to MX the end of October 3 DAY EXPRESS $$$ and instead of delivering it or sending it back right away, his post office held it the entire month of November somewhere on a shelf and sent it back to me last week as "Undeliverable".

And the very expensive cigars were as dry as a bone when I opened the box up. I have them resting in my humidor and hope they might recover a bit, but I am sure they will never be as good as they should have been if some dickhead at Tim's post office had of done his job.

And to top it off when Tim went to his post office to complain he got a shrug and a "So Sorry about that!" :angry:

Tim is on his way to Europe in a few months so I'll be able to make it up to him then, but it still pisses me off to no end.

Agreed.

I shipped some cigars to the U.K.

I vacuum sealed the package (left an air pocket) with a piece of oasis foam.

They were sent back to me (old address) 52 days later, they were in great shape.

I also think it all about packaging. I usually get cigars from US in 3-7 days but few times it took like... 3 or even 4 weeks. Fortunatelly they were in zip lock bags with boveda's and after taking them out they were smelling like they were siting in a humi all that time. :thumbs:

Ps. Hope to get my latest purchase in the same great shape, they were sent Dec 3rd... :whistling:

Agreed.

I shipped some cigars to the U.K.

I vacuum sealed the package (left an air pocket) with a piece of oasis foam.

They were sent back to me (old address) 52 days later, they were in great shape.
Seems like you did a good job, the vacuum seal alone would retain the RH for some time. In heat that time would probably be cut by 1/3.

Anyhow, the question is...if the cigars are not stored correctly (in this case it appears that they were), how long before they are not recoverable?
Keep in mind, vendors do not vacuum seal and 99.9% of us, do not have a vacuum sealer.

As a matter of interest, a long time back when I received cigars from Wilkey he had them packaged in aluminum foil. Since then, whenever I personally ship,
(as some of you know, that does not happen often :laugh: )I always wrap the sticks in aluminum foil. I would think that the foil will look after the sticks for some
time. After all, that's what Wilkey does...right? :whistling:

Brian

Using the humidity packets is about to become standard practice for me, as is double zip lock bags, and maybe foil, although i don't understand how it helps?

edit: anyone know where to get the smaller humidity packets, not the boveda?

Good stuff here!

What is the logic behind the foil?

Yes Wilkey uses foil and he double bags. He told me this was because foil retains moisture much better than plastic bags. When I can, I now also use foil. Thanks again Prof. Wilkey!

Ripping into that foil from a Wilkey-sent package is also really FUN.

Like xmas morning...

My "the longest shiping" record was beated.
The package sent on Dec 3rd arrived to me on Jan 8th and cigars were just O.K.

Like I wrote its all about good packaging :)

My "the longest shiping" record was beated.
The package sent on Dec 3rd arrived to me on Jan 8th and cigars were just O.K.

Like I wrote its all about good packaging :)

I had one sent on the 10th of Dec that I'm still waiting on... I just might beat you. And its a contest I'd rather not be in :sign:

I did receive a vacuum sealed package once. I think it was from a Canadian dealer. ;)

But I think two bags will cover most mailings and one, good bag usually. I got five PANs from CA as my first purchase on this site and they were shot due to a combo of a flimsy bag and an unusually long, hot journey. I didn't say anything because this member sent extras to welcome me on top of the purchase so I chalked it up to experience.

Now I just ask for double-bagging and ignore any indignant responses. :D Also, I stay away from summer purchases that have to travel a ways.

Wyatt came up with a great way to deal with heat. He packed them into a big box with a smaller one inside and packing in between. The LFD Cammy Lanceros arrived in the summer in great condition! Thanx again, Wyatt!

I try to use a freezer bag as one of my two bags. They're thick and have a good seal. :thumbs: