• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shiraz

emodx

Banned
A while back I had a glass of Shiraz that was awesome. Can anyone recommend a few good Vineyards for Shiraz?

Emo

What's your price range? You can go from $10 to over $100 - no problem. The wife likes "All Saints 'CARLYLE' Shiraz '99" at about $22 a bottle

I recently had a bottle of Fat Bastard Shiraz, was really good. I think I paid somewhere between $12-15.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I've been enjoying the Jacobs Creek Shiraz from Austrailia for $5.99. :thumbs:

emodx said:
A while back I had a glass of Shiraz that was awesome. Can anyone recommend a few good Vineyards for Shiraz?

Emo
[snapback]152947[/snapback]​
By far the best Shiraz that I've had came out of this winery in Australia: Ivanhoe Winery. This is actually my favorite winery in Australia overall, and is located in the Hunter Valley region in southeast Australia.

Unfortunately, Ivanhoe sells all their stock "out of the cellar door" - meaning that essentially all their wine is sold right on the premises or to nearby local restaurants. As a result, if you ever find yourself in Oz - pencil Ivanhoe into your itinerary... :thumbs:

Cheers,

- Oak

Probably my favorite Syrah right now is coming from Novy Family Winery out of Santa Rosa, their Rosella's Vinyard is just beautiful and goes great with a cigar. Another of our daily drinkers is the Coppola Green Diamond Syrah, not a bad wine.

:cool:

I concur with jaxstraww about Yellow Tail.

For an inexpensive one, you might try Rosemount. Actually, their whole line is decent fare. My wife really likes the Cabernet/Merlot mix they offer, and the Reisling is good too.

Give Shingleback a try. Just picked up a bottle at Costco, as a matter of fact. Along with Casa Lapostle Cab. All great wines.

If you live anywhere near a Cost Plus World Market store, they carry both the Yellow Tail and the Fat Bastard, and you can't beat their prices.

hungsolo said:
I concur with jaxstraww about Yellow Tail.

For an inexpensive one, you might try Rosemount. Actually, their whole line is decent fare. My wife really likes the Cabernet/Merlot mix they offer, and the Reisling is good too.
[snapback]153490[/snapback]​
i'm quite a fan of their cabernet/merlot mix, too. i'm not a big fan of their shiraz, though. ghost gum shiraz is the best you can get for the price of $10-$11 IMO. the jacob's creek special reserve or the greg norman estate are good as well for around $15.

coventrycat86 said:
Sorry, not a Shiraz fan, too light for me.....
[snapback]183828[/snapback]​

Light? really? with all the earthiness, beef blood and thick fruit? sound like you'ld like the Negrette that I drink ;)

NorCalCigarLover said:
coventrycat86 said:
Sorry, not a Shiraz fan, too light for me.....
[snapback]183828[/snapback]​

Light? really? with all the earthiness, beef blood and thick fruit? sound like you'ld like the Negrette that I drink ;)

[snapback]183832[/snapback]​

Beef blood? WTF? No wonder why I stick to beer.

Drake said:
is there really beef blood in it?
[snapback]183843[/snapback]​

No, but one of the characteristics of a Syrah can be beef blood. It is considered a good thing for many people, not particularly one of my favorites. I prefer a lot of fruit, earthiness, and some pepper is fine by me. I also prefer a full velvety mouth feel with a nice long finish.

Had a 2001 Barossa Shiraz from Yalumba (Austrailia) last week. It was quite possibly the best Shiraz I've ever tasted. Goes for around $15 a bottle.