• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shiraz

cigardawg said:
Had a 2001 Barossa Shiraz from Yalumba (Austrailia) last week. It was quite possibly the best Shiraz I've ever tasted. Goes for around $15 a bottle.
[snapback]185082[/snapback]​

You beat me to it! Any Wine from the Barossa Valley in South Australia is worth a try.

I think Australia makes the best of the best when it comes to Shiraz. Penfolds, Grant Burge, and Rufus Stone are some good ones.

My vote is for Rosemount Estates from Australia. I read somewhere that Australia has the perfect climate / soil for shiraz grapes. I would tend to agree as most Aussie shiraz have been nice. (maybe all of them I've tried can't remember for sure). I however, was not pleased with Rosemount's chardonnay, but then again I'm not a huge fan of white wines. Their Riesling was nice when I tried it though.

Greg Norman Estate Limestone Coast Shiraz is fantastic for the money. It consistently rates in the high 80's low 90's and runs around $15 per bottle.

For the money, Yellowtail is decent 6-7 bucks. The best that I have found without breaking the bank is the Rosemount "Hill of Gold" with the burgundy label, typically $15-$18.

For my $0.02 worth, the list of crappy Shiraz might be a hell of alot shorter than a list of what's good. It's my go-to wine with a Merlot and I can't honestly say I've had one I would never buy again.

I will second Yellowtail though. I only wish it was $6-7 up here in Canada. It's a $12-15 bottle up here. :angry:

Old threads reborn? Little Penguin Shiraz @ $5-6.

Mitolo Shiraz Reiver 2004
This one was never reviewed by "the Bob", perhaops because Ben felt it was a bit "knees and elbows" just after bottling or was in the process of being bottled during his tastings. Regardless, feel very safe with this one, a brilliant follow-up to the Parker 95-99 point 2003 and a wine that easily butts heads with G.A.M. Bubbling over with smoky blueberry, blackberry and plum flavors, it is undoubtedly one of the finest Shiraz Ben Glaetzer has yet crafted from this new estate of which Parker writes, "For a winery only established in 1999, and dedicated to hand-crafted, artisinal wines, Mitolo has consistently been a revelation in my tastings. Thanks to owner Frank Mitolo and his brilliant winemaker, Ben Glaetzer, the quality has been truly splendid."

2005 Mollydooker Shiraz “The Boxer”
"The 2005 The Boxer Shiraz (primarily from McLaren Vale, followed by Langhorne Creek and Padthaway) exhibits a black/blue/purple color, an incredible density of fruit along with that tell-tale purity, blackberries, white flowers, melted chocolate, sweet licorice, and subtle wood. Full-bodied, beautifully textured and layered with an awesome finish, it should drink well for 4-6+ years. Two more expensive Mollydooker cuvees will be reviewed in my full Australian report in the October issue." -Wine Advocate

:cool:

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I've been enjoying the Jacobs Creek Shiraz from Austrailia for $5.99. :thumbs:

Try the Jacobs Creek Reserve Shiraz 2003. Rated 91 points in Wine Spectator, and made #64 on the top 100 list for 2006 wines. It is priced right at $12.99 a bottle. I just picked up a case if anyone has trouble finding it...I can spare a few bottles.

Eric