• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shopping List Contest

ManInBlack

I don’t post very often at all. But I visit this forum daily and have greatly enjoyed the time that I have spent here since joining a little over a year ago. I have learned an enormous amount from reading many of your posts. And I have certainly expanded my smoking horizons significantly.

For me, smoking cigars is about camaraderie. Of course, there are those times when I will take a cigar and a book out onto the front porch. But, for me, the most memorable cigars are always associated with good friends and good times. I think that is one of the primary reasons why I enjoy this forum so much. It is clear that many of you associate cigars and camaraderie in the same way that I do.

To thank all of you for my first year here, I want to give away a couple of fivers. One will be a Fuente fiver (WOAM, BTL, SS, Opus X PerfecXion X, Anejo No.48). The contents of the other fiver will be determined later. I’ll explain in a moment.

I smoke CCs primarily. But I have been trying to expand my range of late. As I am heading down to Rhode Island in a couple of weeks, I have the opportunity to buy some nice NCs. As you may already know, we pay a lot for good NCs up here. Padron 1964 Exclusivos run about $55 for a single at my local B&M. And I have seen Opus X selling for more than $70 for a single. So, a trip south of the border is a good opportunity to buy some cigars. Thanks to Walt (Klipsch) I have the name of a good B&M to visit. Now I need a shopping list. This is where you (and the contest) come in.

I am looking for your NC recommendations. The contest is open to members in good standing with at least one month at CP and is limited to one entry per person. To enter, post the name of the cigar that you suggest I try as well as an explanation of your choice (the explanation is important). Cigars can only be suggested once each. On April 20th, I will draw a random number. Whoever made their suggestion in the post with the matching number will get the Fuente fiver. I will mail that fiver out to you from your side of the border when I arrive in Rhode Island on the 22nd (If a Canadian happens to win, I will mail the fiver before I leave).

I am not much of a “touch of cocoa with a hint of toast and orange peel” kind of guy. I can’t even identify the taste of granola smoothie. But I know what I like and I know what I don’t like. Hopefully the following list will give you enough reference points for making your suggestion.

Likes: I don’t have a single favourite vitola that I smoke regularly. With coffee, I love the Partagas Shorts. I also smoke a lot of Robustos. My absolute favourite CC is the Juan Lopez No.2. I am also a big fan of Short Churchills and RASS. I really like BBFs and most Bolivars. Lately, I have been smoking bigger cigars whenever I have the time. Favourites include Partagas Lusitanias, Partagas Salomones, and Sir Winstons.

I do have some experience smoking NCs. When I first joined here, Wes888 sent me some great cigars in a newbie sampler trade. Of the NCs that I have tried, my favourite by far is the Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. I actually have a box of Family Reserve No.45 on its way to me right now. I quite liked the Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Toro Maduro. I have also enjoyed all of the Opus X that I have smoked, especially the Reserve D’Chateau.

Dislikes: The NCs that I have disliked have all either been very peppery (examples: Padilla Obsidian Belicoso or Perdomo Patriarch Maduro Torpedo) or very mild. I like full flavoured, well balanced cigars.

I will likely not be able to try all of the cigars suggested in this thread. But I will try to lay hands upon a good number of your suggestions. Once I have tried all of the cigars that I purchase on this trip, I will send out a second fiver (contents yet to be determined) to whomever suggests the cigar that I most enjoy from the lot. So, be persuasive in making your suggestion! Obviously, I do not know exactly when the second fiver will go out. But you have my word that it will, once I have finished smoking the selection that comes back with me from this trip.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions. And thanks again for the first of what I hope to be many years here.

I'll start it off right by saying my favorite:

OR El Triunfador Lancero!!!

'Grats on the anni and thanks for the contest!

Congrats on the year and thanks for the contest.

I would suggest trying a Liga Privada #9. My favorite line is the VSG, but I feel they need to be aged a little longer than the Liga.

I have yet to smoke a Liga that I didn't enjoy.

Ken

I highly recommend the San Cristobal Fabuloso (torpedo). It's a must try, and if you enjoy Opus X, I think you'll definitely love this cigar---full-bodied, rich dark flavor, great balance, very complex.

Plus, it's a collaboration between Don Pepin and Ashton, after all. :thumbs:

Thanks for the contest and congrats!

~Boar

God Of Fire Don Carlos Robusto. Congrats on the year. :thumbs:

Aged tobacco that has a lot of body. It is a full of rich flavors and never get's dull. :love:

If you are looking for a good every day cigar I suggest the Padron 3000 Maduro. At the price point it's a good value and they taste really good.

Padron 1926 #6 Maduro.

Rich with just enough of a spicy element, very balanced, great mouth feel, tons of smoke, ages gracefully, great and even burn rate, and even elegant.

Probably my first choice for a Desert Island smoke. :thumbs:

Illusione MJ12

Love the cigars you like and have similar dislikes as well. I love this entire line from Dion. You will too!

Congrats on the year. ;)

PJ

I'll have to say the La Riqueza #5 is a darn fine smoke. It was a very flavourful cigar, lots of richness to it. I've been tossing ideas back and forth in my head of which box should I buy next and after smoking one, this one got bumped to the top of my list. Not unreasonably priced, very tasty, and it won't kill your duty free exemption when you cross back into Canada.

A lot of good suggestions in here. I'd be happy with any of them. Congrats on the year.

For my suggestion, how about a Cabaiguan Guapo. One of the most flavorful medium-bodied cigars I've had. I don't usually like maduros, but even the maduro wrapped guapo is delicious.

Enjoy your trip. :)

-John

Marc, congrats on a year here! I will recommend the La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet L-400. It has a jet black oscuro wrapper that offers a good bit of sweetness to balance out that peppery ligero spice. It's a delicious and balanced smoke that I think you will enjoy. You really can't go wrong with any of Litto Gomez's cigars (Ligero, Double Ligero, Cameroon Cabinet, etc), but I think the Ligero Cabinets are the best bet given your tastes.

Have fun cigar shopping!

Cabaiguan Guapo Junior, natural wrapper. Full flavored, full bodied, nice spice but not peppery.

Congrats on the anniversary!

My suggestion (albeit I am a little biased) would be a Padron 1926 Serie #9 maduro. With the Padrons as high as they are in Canada, you'd be able to pick one of the up for around $18. To me, it's one of the most enjoyable cigars out there.

This is a really cool contest, thanks for letting us participate.

I would recommend picking up a Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Robusto. Full bodied but has a lot of fantastic flavors.

My suggestion would be a Brick House Toro. I have two reasons:
1. They're good, especially once they develop.
2. They're cheap!

I'll suggest the La Aroma De Cuba, also a pepin/ashton collaboration. Had one about a week ago and was very tasty. I like you have a very hard time picking up individual flavors in cigars and I still really enjoyed this cigar.

Fuente Don Carlos (no. 2 is my favorite). They're always available and always delicious. And not too expensive for a tasty Fuente product...

Derek

>enjoy your trip! :thumbs:

Illusione 88 is by ar my favorite daily cigar. I have given a few away to friends who rarely smoke and they have all enjoyed them. The brotherhood after all is what it is all about. Congrats on the year!

Cruzado Domenicos - A unique flavor that I never tire of and would recommend to anyone who enjoys a flavorful cigar that is not too spicy. Some people just find Nic Puros too much so this cigar has as much flavor as a Nic Puro but without as much spice and more subtle flavors. The size is corona gorda which is one of my favorite size cigars. :thumbs:

Steve