• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Should cigarettes be banned in public places?

w00ts!te

Go GREEN! Go WHITE!
A very interesting article I might add. Even though this applies to cigarettes, cigar smokers face the same kind of mentality daily.

http://www.iedm.org/uploaded/pdf/avril05_en.pdf

Something funny I heard on the radio yesterday about the new smoking ban in Michigan was: Non-smokers go to dirty bars during flu epidemics to get drunk and leave to have unprotected sex and the only thing they can whine about is that some guy is smoking which is bad for their health.

Cigar smokers have been discriminated against long before cigarette smokers. I remember going to restaurants and bars 30 yrs ago that allowed cigarette smoking but had prominent signs banning the smoking of cigars.

Doc.

Good grief; I am so tired of this argument. As both a cigarette and cigar smoker, why can't people get over the fact that smoking is a legal practice approved (and taxed heavily) by our government? Why is it that this has become such a big issue? Why not just let capitalism dictate which places should be smoke-free? As the article said, smokers would be happy to support smoking establishments, and non-smokers could do the same with non-smoking establishments. My grandmother, in 75 years, has never been to a bar; she doesn't drink. That doesn't mean that bars need to be banned, does it? Of course not. Even though drunk drivers kill lots of people each year, no one would think of banning bars. It's simply her choice not to go to a bar... no matter how tasty their burgers are. She can easily go to one of the other thousands of burger joints. [Sigh] Okay, I'm finished ranting...

Good grief; I am so tired of this argument. As both a cigarette and cigar smoker, why can't people get over the fact that smoking is a legal practice approved (and taxed heavily) by our government? Why is it that this has become such a big issue? Why not just let capitalism dictate which places should be smoke-free? As the article said, smokers would be happy to support smoking establishments, and non-smokers could do the same with non-smoking establishments. My grandmother, in 75 years, has never been to a bar; she doesn't drink. That doesn't mean that bars need to be banned, does it? Of course not. Even though drunk drivers kill lots of people each year, no one would think of banning bars. It's simply her choice not to go to a bar... no matter how tasty their burgers are. She can easily go to one of the other thousands of burger joints. [Sigh] Okay, I'm finished ranting...

You make a very good point. But, honestly after 5 years of being in the Marine Corps and having to wait for the "smoking lamp" to be lit and having to walk 100 yards this way or that to find a smoke pit, I just want to smoke where ever I want to smoke.

When I lived in Jacksonville, NC I could smoke anywhere I wanted to (off base at least). They even had a fast food restaurant called Bojangles (a lot like KFC.) And I could smoke in. Now I am back in Buffalo, NY and if I want to smoke [cigarettes] at a bar I have to go outside. But, at least I can go outside the bar and smoke.

NC is now going smoke free. I think I read that the other day. True??? Canada I hear is worse. If you live in a condo/apartment type home you can't even smoke on the patio. Is this true??? Or, is this just the talk?

NC is now going smoke free. I think I read that the other day. True??? Canada I hear is worse. If you live in a condo/apartment type home you can't even smoke on the patio. Is this true??? Or, is this just the talk?

I think that was just talk happening a while back. I'm pretty sure though the apartment style housing smoking issue was something being raised by building owners or by apartment residents that have nothing better to do with their days than complain about something... and not actually a law in force. That being said, some provinces have tougher guidelines on smoking than others. I'm not sure which provinces (if any) allow smoking indoors in public places anymore.

edit to add previous thread link

Non-smokers go to dirty bars during flu epidemics to get drunk and leave to have unprotected sex and the only thing they can whine about is that some guy is smoking which is bad for their health.

This is exactly what grinds my gears. Some guy wants to complain about my cigar while he and his buddies are wrecking their livers on Jager Bombs?!?

Non-smokers go to dirty bars during flu epidemics to get drunk and leave to have unprotected sex and the only thing they can whine about is that some guy is smoking which is bad for their health.

This is exactly what grinds my gears. Some guy wants to complain about my cigar while he and his buddies are wrecking their livers on Jager Bombs?!?

x2. My thoughts exactly.

I have one better, I live in LA and ran accross this article My link. its bad enough living in a communist state, but what the hell. wait till you read the west hollywood shop owner states. What a liberal. Where will it end?

Where will it end? Collegestu. Its gone too far.
I remember 40 years ago when I was in my late teens you could smoke anywhere you wanted. Never, ever a problem. They didn't even have separate smoking areas. I remember how the general public screamed when they started making us go to separate smoking areas. The restaurants bitched, the customers called it a communist plot and the local politicians said they had nothing to do with it.
I would never live in California. I would probably never go there either. Where can you smoke? Hotels are all non-smoking, you have to stand 50 feet from a entrance or exit to a public building and if you get caught breaking the rules you could be subject to certain fines. OMG.
Cigars have always been banned from restaurants where I have lived. You use to could smoke them in most bars but not all. Some bars just wouldn't allow them. Today, you can still smoke cigars in specialty bars that have been waivered by public law.
Now they are talking about legalizing Marijauna.
Where will it end?

I have one better, I live in LA and ran accross this article My link. its bad enough living in a communist state, but what the hell. wait till you read the west hollywood shop owner states. What a liberal. Where will it end?

Lets try to remember that not all of us "liberals" are for these draconian laws. Let's also try to remember who the governor of our fair state is and what party he aligns himself with.

i understand that not all liberals are for one idea, law, what have you or another. However, in order for any of these acts to become enacted upon, requires a majority. Thus most, NOT ALL, of the liberals are becoming to concerned with other lifestyles. And yes I can see your point of the Governor and agree that it is just a big mess like Gray Davis created. Why can we just be left alone with the choices we make.