• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Should I be concerned?

cohiba507

Im sure most of you know what kinda set up I have from my earlier posts. Heres the deal, I am running two 30ct Paradigm humidifier placed on the bottom attached to the front of the humidor. It also has a tray and my concern is that the humidity on top flucuates anywhere from 66% to 69% through out the day (probably caused by the glass top). Now the bottom stays steady and 71%-72% and was wondering if I should be worring about this. I have about 25 CC sticks in there now, should I add more to lower the humidity on the bottom or will this just add more humidity to the humidor? Any suggestions or is this okay as it is?

Im worried if I lower the humidity on the bottom to say around 68% that Im not going to be getting enough on top then and vise versus, ya know what I mean...Should I just regulate it cause 72% is still okay and worry if it raises to 75% and above which I dont think it will...

Thanks..

Sounds like you're in good shape...67%-72% is right on the money....enjoy the Cohibas!

A lot of us run our humidors at 60% to 65%. Some searches will have shown this many times over. Certain sized cigars will start to burn like crap once you hit above 70% while others burn like crap at 65% from my experiences. If you are that concerned, I would put the common, yard cigars on the bottom and keep the good ones at the top. So the good ones don't get over humidified while the ole cheap sticks it doesn't matter.

You could add a few sticks to the bottom and help draw it down. But in my poor humble opinion, you are worrying for no reason at of yet.

You could try putting your humidifier higher up. I find a slight tendency for the top to be lower RH than the bottom so placing it higher should even this out some.

Also, I distribute the cigars according to type. Cubans and Pepins at the top and Fuentes at the bottom, if you get my drift. ;) That way cigars that do well at lower RH are OK and ones that are better off at higher RH are happy, too! :D

Im sure most of you know what kinda set up I have from my earlier posts. Heres the deal, I am running two 30ct Paradigm humidifier placed on the bottom attached to the front of the humidor. It also has a tray and my concern is that the humidity on top flucuates anywhere from 66% to 69% through out the day (probably caused by the glass top). Now the bottom stays steady and 71%-72% and was wondering if I should be worring about this. I have about 25 CC sticks in there now, should I add more to lower the humidity on the bottom or will this just add more humidity to the humidor? Any suggestions or is this okay as it is?

Im worried if I lower the humidity on the bottom to say around 68% that Im not going to be getting enough on top then and vise versus, ya know what I mean...Should I just regulate it cause 72% is still okay and worry if it raises to 75% and above which I dont think it will...

Thanks..

if you want to lower the humidity, partially cover the Paradigms vents with some electrical tape.

If you don't want to change your humidifying system I would agree with ronc and cover some of the vents on the bottom one. You can also take the the bottom one out to dry a bit so it will absorb some of the extra humidity on the bottom and only add solution/distilled to the top.

I have had the same kind of issue although I use beads. I solved my issue by doing what I said above but with beads.

If the suggestion from ronc doesn't work first you could get some beads and put them on the bottom without "charging" them they will absorb the excess humidity. I find beads are better at absorbing excess humidity than they are at expelling it. I also find that Oasis Foam is better at releasing humidity than it is at absorbing it (thats why the solution is needed).

Also i agree with the other posts as you can also solve this problem with what type of cigars you put in each section. Personally most of my smokes do best in the 65% range so the only way i fixed my situation was to fix the humidity. Although its very easy to but cigars that do well at 70% on the bottom and others on the top. Very easy solution if you smoke such a variety of cigars :D

Looks like one of the humidifers was over sateriated, problem solved for now...Heres another question, ya know I have two of the same humidors, right? Anyway One humidor has a really big swoosh when I dropped the top, and one dont...It almost drops completely down with out any swoosh at all. I did the dollar bill trick and it grabs pretty well and Im not losing any humidity. So do ya think the seal is good even though it doesnt swoosh like my other one?

Thanks..

It doesn't have to "swoosh" down, that is just a sign that the box is air tight (or mostly). If the dollar bill worked, and your humidity seems stable, odds are, it is. If you are overly concerned, you can try using bees/sailor wax or something similar around the edges to help seal the two pieces together when closed.

I like my humidor at 67% or lower, BTW. ;) Enjoy the sticks, it isn't really worth worrying that much about a small amount. My only advice is, if you haven't yet, invest in a digital hydro that can be calibrated.

Edit: added a bit.

I've been having issues in my NC humidor. My CC humidor stays right around 64%. My NC humidor stays around 65-68%. I'd like it to be a bit lower. I have issues with it staying where I want it tho. The beads helped a lot.

-Gianni-

I had the same problem in my coolidor . The top would be at about 70% - 72% and the bottom would go as high as 77%. I went to cigar solutions and bought a fan that is used in cabinet humidors . It runs for two minutes and is off for thirty minutes. Now my coolidor has been at 70% rh ever since.

I had the same problem in my coolidor . The top would be at about 70% - 72% and the bottom would go as high as 77%. I went to cigar solutions and bought a fan that is used in cabinet humidors . It runs for two minutes and is off for thirty minutes. Now my coolidor has been at 70% rh ever since.

glad to hear that it did the job.

IMHO I like my CC's around 60% to 65% but no higher. They just seem to smoke better. What kind of humidification beads or crystals are you using?

IMHO I like my CC's around 60% to 65% but no higher. They just seem to smoke better. What kind of humidification beads or crystals are you using?

Im using two 30ct paradigm humidifiers placed in the bottom on the inside front..Top is at a perfect 68-70% the bottom slightly higher at times, but no more than 72-73%