• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Should I make a humi or fix a clock?

Bu11dog

Just picked up what I thought was going to be a new custom humi. Only problem is that the wife now wants it looked at to see about repairing it.
It's a Seth Thomas that was manufactured in 1978 as far as I can tell.

Not sure how to do pics, I'll figure it out and get them up though.

Pics of the clock, inside measurements give about 3' tall x 16" wide x 9" deep for space to utilize as humi.

clock_front.jpg

clock_face_2.jpg

You're in for a fun project, either way. I vote you make the wife happy and restore the movement of the clock, which buys you more leverage for buying a bigger piece to be a humidor. :D

Bad luck for you, huh? Isn't that the second thing you picked up for a custom humi and the wife decided she wanted it. Operation Stealth Humi now in affect. :cool:

I vote you make the wife happy and restore the movement of the clock, which buys you more leverage for buying a bigger piece to be a humidor. :D

Something about Sean's wisdom in many of his assessments of situations, drives me to admire him... :whistling:

Good luck with your "clock restoration project," and we'll start a "Buy the Bulldoggy a new Staebell" fundraiser!

Why not both? :p That would be the most awesome combo ever.
Do it... Macgyver style.

Perhaps you could install some new type of time keeping mechanism (even if it's a small cheap battery powered unit) behind the face of the clock, then work with the bottom area for the humi? That would be bad ass. I understand it wouldn't have the same function as a grandfather clock without the lower parts, but it would remain a functioning clock, and a very unique and aesthetically pleasing humidor.

Fix the clock and set up a coolerdor. :D

Seth Thomas started here in Connecticut in what is now Thomaston. That is one very nice clock. A movement will run you about $450.00 but my guess is you could get it fixed for half of that. I think I have the same movement in an Emperor clock (kit) that I built in 1988.

EDIT: No on the movement with respect to mine, you've got the FANCY "triple chime" one which is considerably more expensive, you have chains, not cables, correct? Mine is only Westminster so it's a lower end movement compared to yours. I think those movements run about $800.00 but I haven't priced them in a long time. Check with Klockkit for the latest price for a movement.

Your clock is really pretty "new" in the whole scheme of things and I still think you could get it fixed for under $200.00. My clock is 20 years old and I had to send the movement back to Emperor a while back for some minor work and it's been perfect ever since!

Perhaps you could install some new type of time keeping mechanism (even if it's a small cheap battery powered unit) behind the face of the clock, then work with the bottom area for the humi? That would be bad ass. I understand it wouldn't have the same function as a grandfather clock without the lower parts, but it would remain a functioning clock, and a very unique and aesthetically pleasing humidor.

Not a bad idea if you want a really cheap fix BUT any cheap quartz movement you buy won't operate all those fancy little dials and probably not the moon dial either. No offense Dr. but I wouldn't suggest this in this case.

Well I've got a friend who just closed his clock shop. He specialized in grandfathers. I'm going to give him a call today. I'm going to have to go on the "down low" next time I spy a potential humidor project. This is twice now as northernmoris has pointed out!!!

We're now in a holding pattern until the clock guy calls me and comes to inspect it. Last time I let her see something before I tear into it. My idea for the clock part was to set it to a good time, date etc for smoking so it was always time for a smoke. Oh well, maybe next time.

I don't suppose wifely unit will let you seal off the lower cabinet. CC has the right answer. Never pass a deal on a quality grandfather clock. There is no choice here.

Woohoo!!!
Good news for me bad for the wife. It's going to cost more than she wants to spend to fix. Let the fun begin...

I'm thinking 2-3 trays that will hold singles and the same for boxes although I don't have any now I foresee that time coming. Bottom will have some kind of active humidification with a small fan. I'll have to either seal the top to keep the clock or pull the hole clock and works out. Not sure which way to go there. There's a local shop that has kiln dried spanish cedar, it looks good and I have another friend who I just found out works with wood for a hobby. Can a man get any luckier? Wait scratch that something bad is bound to happen now that I said that
;)

Well I've got a friend who just closed his clock shop. He specialized in grandfathers. I'm going to give him a call today. I'm going to have to go on the "down low" next time I spy a potential humidor project.
Good luck with the new clockador project, it sounds like fun. But I am not sure what going on the "down low" has to do with humidors though. :0

Too bad on the clock. It appears to be a J. Keininger movement which should be good. However, sometimes, in modern clocks, catastrophic wear will occur a a few pivots due to poor pivot finish. (See my article on the subject in Horological Times magazine circa 1980.) This requires a complete disassembly, bushing of the worn pivot holes and polishing of the pivots, cleaning reassembly, lubication and testing. Not an inexpensive proposition. Today I would think the work, done properly, could easily run $400.
It really is too bad she is unwilling to spend the money because this cabinet will make a MUCH better clock than it will a humidor. (I speak from experience as a cabinet / furniture maker as well. Visit My Website )
Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughts Dave. I tried last night to get the clock working. The pendulum won't stay working. I adjusted the screw like the directions said but it just won't stay going. The sound was of course beautiful and reminded me of my grandparents who have a gorgeous one (that's another story). I was looking at the inside of the box and with a little silicone sealent and my friend who does some woodworking this will serve my purposes well. I'm going out sometime today to pick up some spanish cedar hopefully and get things going.
The cedar veneer, what's the deal? Is it purely cosmetic or will it serve the purpose of aroma and hold humidity?