• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sick for first time

natejustice

Justice for all
Reaction score
Well I had my first experience from getting sick from a cigar the other night. Was smoking a Rocky Patel Sungrown Petite Corona( I think thats the name, its the smallest vitola sungrown). Started out fine, but when I started getting to the end, I started getting really nauseous, and felt like my limbs were made of rubber, and that my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I was like whoa, this little stick packed a punch. After about 10 mins I got the feeling that I was going to get sick, but I fought it off, by drinking some soda, and having some sugary snacks.

Well about an hour later, I did get sick, and let me tell you I felt like a wuss. First time its happened to me and I have smoked with no problems for months on end. After doing a search for similar occurences, I guess I might have inhaled a little smoke, or maybe swallowed some of the juices built up on the end of the stick. I guess the Rocky Patel Sungrowns had a little more nicotine than I thought they would. Sorry to be long here, just wanted to share my experience.

They pack a serious punch for sure, one of the reasons I love the RP SGs

I made the mistake of smoking my first one on a empty stomach and almost lost it as well, the only other cigar to kick my ass like that is another SG the Ashton VSG robusto.

Wow Nate,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've swallowed a bit of juice and inhaled by accident several times in the recent past. I guess the food and drink I have with the smoke buffers the effect. I had a corona-sized RP SG recently and didn't think it was all that good, or strong.

Maybe you should get back on the horse with a Macanudo. ;)

Wilkey

...of all things, I once got laid out by a CAO "Criollo". Same thing as you experienced, but I didn't barf. Had to lie down for a bit...it was pretty bad.

Never again, though. And on weekends I often smoke a small colida with coffee in the AM (before breakfast). No issues, ever again.

I would not, however, tackle an OpusX double corona on an empty tummy.... :p

Hang in there - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
...of all things, I once got laid out by a CAO "Criollo". Same thing as you experienced, but I didn't barf. Had to lie down for a bit...it was pretty bad.

Never again, though. And on weekends I often smoke a small colida with coffee in the AM (before breakfast). No issues, ever again.

I would not, however, tackle an OpusX double corona on an empty tummy.... :p

Hang in there - B.B.S.
[snapback]273771[/snapback]​

Yeah blinded, I agree with you. When the criollos first came out I tried one at the local shop. A smoked half of it and felt sick. Then I stood up and realized I was quite dizzy! Oh, what an experience .... The first time you get sick from a cigar!

I hope you didn't smoke it on an empty stomach. Best time to smoke any cigar is after a good meal. Especially if it's a RP SG. ;)

BlindedByScience said:

I completly agree also. It didn't even taste that strong...but by the end my head was a swimmin! :blush: No barfing though. :thumbs:

BoomerMan10 said:
BlindedByScience said:
...of all things, I once got laid out by a CAO "Criollo".  Same thing as you experienced, but I didn't barf.  Had to lie down for a bit...it was pretty bad.

I completly agree also. It didn't even taste that strong...but by the end my head was a swimmin! :blush: No barfing though. :thumbs:
[snapback]273824[/snapback]​

Interesting. THe CAO Criollos I've had were pretty medium in terms of strength. But then these had been in the humidor for maybe a year or so. Were yours fresh?

Likely due to my previous tobacco use, nicotine buzz/getting sick and cigars never seemed to go in the same sentence for me. Even the XXX Power ranger didn't even come close for me. Good cigar, but not my favorite vitola of the line.

Enter the OpusX Petit Lancero!

Had one for the first time (and to date, the only time) about a month ago. It was accompanied by some bourbon and beer. Smoked amazingly! None of the typical Opus burn issues. great draw, lots of smoke and a slow burner for such a small ring guage (at least in my experience.) I'm not normally a fan of smaller ring guage cigars, but I may be onto something after this experience.

Anyways, I tried to pace myself, and I did good but ended up nubbing it because the taste just seemed to be out of this world! One of the best cigars I've had I think. Only problem...about 5 minutes before I put it out, I started to feel a little buzzed. No problem I thought, just like having a dip or a cigarette after not having one for a long time. It'll pass. WRONG! Couldn't stand up, everything was tingly, face was pale, cold sweats, stomach churning. I was close to the bathroom, but wasn't sure I could stand long enough to make it there. Couldn't talk straight. I sat and stared for about an hour! People I was with thought I was completely plastered! I couldn't convince them otherwise until it passed. Once it went away, it was like someone flipped a switch: I felt normal like nothing had ever happend! Weirdest experience I've had BY FAR while smoking a cigar!

With that said.....I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON ANOTHER ONE! For some reason, I don't have too much trouble finding Opus's, but can never seem to find these! Oh well, maybe it's for the better.

What a great cigar! Definitely suggest this one if you can handle it! :thumbs:

I have heard that about the RP SG petite coronas. I have a couple other vitolas but never has this one. I liked them all. Thanks for the warning, I will be sure to have something to eat before smoking this little firecracker.

Ginseng said:
BoomerMan10 said:
BlindedByScience said:
...of all things, I once got laid out by a CAO "Criollo".  Same thing as you experienced, but I didn't barf.  Had to lie down for a bit...it was pretty bad.

[snapback]273824[/snapback]​

Interesting. THe CAO Criollos I've had were pretty medium in terms of strength. But then these had been in the humidor for maybe a year or so. Were yours fresh?
[snapback]273836[/snapback]​

yes, they were VERY fresh, I smoked one as soon as my local shop got them in

Sorry you didn't like the RP SG corona Wilkey, the ones I had I liked. If you haven't tried the robusto size yet please do, they are alot better than the corona.

*edit* Codiene wrecks havoc with my spelling lol

Well...I smoke every thing on an empty stomach. I only make one exception to that rule and that is a LFD Double Ligero Chisel. The first one on an empty stomach and I was starving to made me dizzy and get motion sickness. Ate some all you could eat sushi for $20 and I was fine. Good food too. :D

Shawn,
I might give them a spin. I think I'm going to tackle the "Fire" before I come back to the Sun Growns though. Wait, Fires are from Drew Estates. Nevermind. In that case, my next Rocky stick will be the much anticipated RP90V robusto I got from Peat. I think he got this one from Rocky himself. I think.

Peat,
You are hardcore! I cannot imagine having cigars with sushi but as a chaser, it might work.

Wilkey

tjm5019 said:
yes, they were VERY fresh, I smoked one as soon as my local shop got them in
[snapback]273867[/snapback]​
...mine came home from the local shop and was smoked within a day or two. Not sure how long they'd had them....not long, I'd guess.

B.B.S.

How do swallow the juices from a cigar? I always spit when my mouth gets full of saliva from the cigar. And this usually happens when I am lighting up the cigar. I never swallow anything from the cigar for fear of nicotine poisoning.

Ginseng said:
Shawn,
I might give them a spin. I think I'm going to tackle the "Fire" before I come back to the Sun Growns though. Wait, Fires are from Drew Estates. Nevermind. In that case, my next Rocky stick will be the much anticipated RP90V robusto I got from Peat. I think he got this one from Rocky himself. I think.

Peat,
You are hardcore! I cannot imagine having cigars with sushi but as a chaser, it might work.

Wilkey
[snapback]273892[/snapback]​

No No No! :0 Fire is not Drew Estates! It is a Indian Tabac cigar, So feel free to "FIRE" it up. :thumbs:

Remind me to send you one of my European blend 90V torpedos, I like them alot more than the American blend.

Wurm said:
Ginseng said:
Shawn,

Peat,

Wilkey
[snapback]273892[/snapback]​

No No No! :0 Fire is not Drew Estates! It is a Indian Tabac cigar, So feel free to "FIRE" it up. :thumbs:

Remind me to send you one of my European blend 90V torpedos, I like them alot more than the American blend.
[snapback]273939[/snapback]​

Yeah the Fire is from RP. However, I ahve heard that some of his stuff is made at the Drew Estates factory. PLease correct me if I am misinformed.

And by the way the Fire is a decent smoke for the money.