• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sick Johnny-O's

SkyKing

Well, I got a Johnny-O sampler this week. I read about how the sticks get sick within 30 to 90 days, then have to rest for six months to a year. I sometimes doubt how good my palate was and thought a sick cigar might have meant that it just didn't taste as good as when fresh. Wrong.

The first out of the batch I smoked was very good. The fresh rolled squeeze was consistent; lit well, burned well, draw was firm but good, tasted solid. Didn't rock me, but still good. But the shag foot I tried around Christmas was about as good as any I've ever smoked.

The second from the batch I smoked was the exact opposite. The light was tricky, it canoed immediately, the draw was tight and the flavor started questionable and turned to vile within an inch or two.  Had undertones of dirty socks. Thinking "it can't really be this bad", I put it down for a few minutes, got a drink, came back and clipped off the first half of the stick with a guillotine, thereby creating a rothschild.

Re-lit it, took one very tight draw, got the nasty tast again, and put it down for good. I smoked, I'm ashamed to admit, over 2K worth of cigars since last year. This was,without a doubt, not only the worst I've smoked in the past year, but the worst thing I ever tried to smoke.

So, if you ever wondered "How will you know when a Johnny-O gets sick?", let me tell you, you'll know.

I'm hoping that this was just a dud and that the rest of the sticks in my order aren't all sick. I'll try one or two of the other vitolas, and see. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to put them down until winter or next spring.

It is a bit ironic that when I'm asked what was the best and worst cigar I ever smoked, that I could answer both questions with the same cigar. :laugh:

BTW, Johnny was great to deal with. I'm reporting here, not complaining. Because I did my research here at CP before ordering,  I knew going in that one or more sticks in a bundle of fresh rolled might have turned.

Yeah, his cigars definitely have a sick period.  It could have been that the "sick" cigar has been sitting with him for a while before you got it, and it was "sick" upon delivery.

If you liked the first one you smoked, you will be happy with the rest of them when they are out of their sick period.

How long did you have the sampler before smoking one? Your first couple of symptoms, basically everything except the taste, could also point to them being "too fresh." If the cigar was too humid (because of it being super fresh), you'd have the lighting, tight draw, and possible canoe problems. I've tried smoking from bundles of shorts as soon as the mail man drops them, and while I don't rememebr the taste, I do remember them being pretty much unsmokable because of the freshness. Nothing a couple days in a dry box didn't cure, though.

tomthirtysix said:
How long did you have the sampler before smoking one?

Nothing a couple days in a dry box didn't cure, though.
Had them just two or three days.

Now, I'll have research "dry box"

Pax

Because both words are very short, searching may prove to be difficult, so I'll help you out.

If you have cigars that are either very fresh, or from an over-humidified source (like many B&Ms), sticking them in a box of some sort without any humidification for one / couple / few days helps to drop their humidity, making them easier to smoke.

Of course, this is assuming you live somewhere with a lower ambient humidity. If you have an old cigar box, preferably a wood one, that should more than adequately do the trick.

Thanks, brother Tom. You were right, the CP search engine didn't give me any returns on dry box. The Johnny'Os were a bit on the wet side - and I like my smokes a little more than most here - around 68-70RH.

I've been dry boxing without knowing it. I frequently pull out a few smokes at a time from my coolador and store them in a desktop humidor with an uncharged humidity device or my Xikar travel case.

Did not do this for the Johnnys but will give it a try. I've read elsewhere that overly moist smokes can add bitter tones to the flavor. However, this was probably a sick smoke - I couldn't believe how bad it tasted.

I 'dry box' sticks in my desk drawer....works great.

I know several guys that swear by dry boxing Johnny's sticks before smoking.  Most of his blends seem to taste better and burn better at a slightly lower humidity than most folks store at.  YMMV.....

I have some that have been ageing since 2007 and smoked one last night.  Excellent cigar

I actually like to dry box his sticks by setting them on my marble bar top which gets about three hours of direct sun light during the day. Put it out some time in the morning and light it up at the end of the day.

Worked great on some Cazador Shagfoots that were giving me hell.

Out of my sampler, I smoked 5. Three were excellent, one disgusting, the last seemed as if it were on the edge of getting sick.So, I'm resting the balance, probably until the winter holidays. 8 months enough time?

You could let them rest for 8 months.  After that try one a month until they are smoking good.  Then have at it with the rest.

BlindedByScience said:
I 'dry box' sticks in my desk drawer....works great.

I know several guys that swear by dry boxing Johnny's sticks before smoking.  Most of his blends seem to taste better and burn better at a slightly lower humidity than most folks store at.  YMMV.....
Bingo! I just use a lightly charged humi. I can maintain it in the low 60's rh without much effort.

whopper said:
You could let them rest for 8 months.  After that try one a month until they are smoking good.  Then have at it with the rest.

Sounds like a good idea. As Vortex and BBS suggested, I dry boxed mine for a day and the draw was better but one was definetely on the edge of needing firs aid. . At this point, I'm just going to rest them for 6 to 8 months..  I don't want to wast anymore sticks