• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Since there is another gun thread...

Dr. Marneaus,

I know you want an actual rifle, but I think a pellet gun is perfect for what you want to do. You want to do some plinking and target shooting and your not a hunter or looking to defend yourself with it.

You can save quite a bit of money, not just with the initial purchase but over the log run.

I do a little plinking with my pellet gun and it's pretty fun, the range is nowhere near what it would be with a rifle, but it's much cheaper and makes a lot less noise than a real rifle. The place I use it at is a bit secluded so it doesn't bother the people around there but if I were to use a real firearm someone would definitely call the cops.

I use a Crosman 1077. Its a fun little gun CO2 powered with a 12 round clip.

You can get one of those, 25 CO2 cartridges, 500 pellets, and 6 extra clips for about $100. Then stick with the open sight or run to Walmart and pick up a cheap scope and your set. All that CO2 and pellets should last awhile.

I know it's not what you want, but it's probably worth looking at.

I've got a few pellet guns at home, have had them since I was a lot younger, kinda burnt out on them.

The main purpose of this thread was to get opinions on the Mini 14, not get a ton of suggestions, I don't mean to sound rude but it's gone kind of off topic it seems.

I did ask, however, for any other good carbine reccomendations, and then about any sources for slightly cheaper AR's....but didnt really get any responses there.

So...if anyone wants to offer info on the mini or cheaper AR's or other good carbines to look at....

And I've checked out some SKS's and really didnt like them

Mini-14s are great, but the ammo is spendy. Especially if you're just plinking. If you're going to reload, .223 is awesome. If you're buying new ammo all the time the cot of ammo is going to exceed the price you outline for a rifle very quickly.

How about a lever action in .357? That way you can get a .357 mag revolver in the future and have the consistency of the same ammo for each weapon. The ammo isn't inexpensive, but you can shoot .38s in it for fun to keep the cost down a little.

I did recommend a carbine... the M1 carbine. I even provided a couple of links. :)

yes, you did, thank you wurm haha.

Never really thougyht about lever actions, been mostly looking at semi autos...

Any specific suggestions on lever actions?

Winchester and Marlin. Is there anyone else? It all depends where you want the cartridge to eject. Marlins are better if your going to put a scope on it. The Winchester-Marlin debate has gone on for 125 yrs.

Doc.

I've shot both the Winchester and the Marlin. I prefer the feel of the Winchester. That is a totally subjective aspect of the rifle, though. I think either brand would provide years of enjoyment.

I have the Marlin in 357 mag with s 6X scope on top. I am very happy with it and it is a tack driver.

The only levergun I currently own is a Marlin 1894FG (.41 Rem Mag), but would be just as happy with a Winchester, 'cept I don't think they make them in that caliber.

Winchester and Marlin. Is there anyone else?
Uberti.

I own their reproduction of the Winchester Model of 1866 "Yellowboy" Rifle chambered in .45 Colt. A shorter carbine version is available...and in .357, too. The action is completely different than a modern Winchester (1892 and later) or Marlin. It has a longer lever throw but the action on mine is butter smooth. It's not really a tack driver but with my tang-mounted Marbles peep sight, it's darn respectable. Highest marks are for style and fun...especially when shooting the smoky stuff.

RedGoatRifle.jpg

Then there's the Model of 1873. Same action but maintenance is a little easier due to the side plates. The carbine is a clean looking rifle but if it were me, I'd opt for the short rifle. Love that case-color receiver and octagon barrel.

For uniqueness, there's the replica Colt Lightning Rifle. I haven't had the chance to fire one yet...but I wanna...and how.