• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

since wrappers = 60-70% of the flaver

"K"

Cigar Grand Poohbah
what are the limitations on the number of layers a cigar can have?
is there a limitation?

I don't think the wrapper accounting for 60-70% is a fact. I've read the same somewhere, some even say it's as high as 80-90%.

I am almost inclined to agree with the statement that it DOES = (at least) 60% of the flavor.

have you ever tried three cigars, same maker, same filler, same binder, different wrapper. Now I know, it is nearly impossible to find those exaxt combinations, but there are some that are close.

The example I would use is the Indian Tabac ......cameroon, super fuerte, and candela....the binders and fillers are reported to be nearly the same in all three, but you change the wraper from to the other, and there is an undeniable difference. In the case of the candela wrapper, it is like night and day!!!

Isn't that what the CX2 and MX2 are?

I've never had one, but I hear their good.

I don't agree with the commonly stated thought that the wrapper accounts for the vast majority of the flavor.

I recently had a Sherpa with the wrapper OFF the first inch of it and the profile was exactly the same. No difference at all.

I am sure it may be true in some cases, but it can't be in all cigars.

Maybe it does add that much - but I have to think that it's mainly the fillers/binders. I do remember back in the day taking a leaf right off the plant and wrapping it around whatever was being smoked - sure it changed the taste - but I have to believe it's a combination of everything.

Ron

With Cuban cigars my guess is that the wrapper accounts for maybe 20-40 percent of the flavor, while in non Cubans it can be as high as 80 percent.

My figures are just guesses on my part and I have no first hand knowledge of any real numbers being out there.

One example I use for non Cubans is the Diamond Crown and Hemingway lines of cigars made by Fuente.

The Diamond Crown Natural Conn shade wrapper is one of my favorite non Cubans. They make a couple of different models with a Conn Broadleaf Maduro wrapper and I do not enjoy the cigar.

I really enjoy Hemingway's with their standard Cameroon wrappers, put the maduro on this one and again I do not like the cigar. To my tastes the wrappers on these two examples ruin the cigars for me so that is why I think 80 percent can be attributed to the wrapper.

Last week I was at a Partagas event at a local B&M.
Benji Menendez was there presenting a very informative lesson on cigar construction.
One of his "tricks" was to take a Partagas with a Cameroon wrapper and wrap a Rosado wrapper around it to taste the difference.
I later asked him about the possibility of a double wrapper and he explained that if double wrapped, the outer wrapper would impart the most flavor, and the inner wrapper would not be noticed.

Not sure if it's true, but it is what he told me and he's been in the business over 50 years!

Jim

I don't agree with the commonly stated thought that the wrapper accounts for the vast majority of the flavor.

I recently had a Sherpa with the wrapper OFF the first inch of it and the profile was exactly the same. No difference at all.

Keep in mind that it's pretty common to use the same tobacco leaf for binder as for the wrapper (just an uglier variant, usually from the same crop or even plant).

Keep in mind that it's pretty common to use the same tobacco leaf for binder as for the wrapper (just an uglier variant, usually from the same crop or even plant).

That answers kev's MX2/CX2 question above, also. The CX2 has a cameroon wrapper and a cameroon binder, the MX2 has maduro wrapper and binder (hence the X2).

I will have to try this with a couple cigars that have a variant. One with, one without. Interesting.

Any suggestion on cigars that would have a distinctly different wrapper vs. binder?

I will have to try this with a couple cigars that have a variant. One with, one without. Interesting.

Any suggestion on cigars that would have a distinctly different wrapper vs. binder?

Sure, pick up some Flor Fina 858s... maduro, natural, sun grown, and candela (and rosado if you can find 'em).

I think that is a very valid point, the wrapper plus the binder may account for a large part of the taste but just the wrapper as a majority I just dont think that is the case.

Don't know the percentage but if its a cigar with a wrapper that has more flavor I favor them in smaller wring gauge to better taste the wrapper.
I have had cigars that do not taste good at all if the wrapper comes off,although I never let that happen anyway.

Very interesting thread, one reason I could come up with not to put a second wrapper on a cigar, is most thick wrapper cigars have burn issues, a second wrapper might compound the problem.