• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Single malt scotch suggestions

njsarge

I am somewhat new to scotch. I tried johnnie walker red label last year and didn't care for it. I would like to try something in the glenfiddich or glenlivet line. Something under $50 if possible, I would probably prefer it on the rocks when I am smoking a cigar. Just looking for some ideas before I go and buy something.

Did you see the pinned thread of this subforum?

I believe AVB has a large selection of reviews....easier to find something you'll like since no one knows exactly what flavors you are searching for.

AVB reviews the Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve. That scotch fits you desired traits of Glenfiddich and below $50.

Thanks I just saw that, that glennfiddich looks good. I will have to see if I can pick some up tomorrow.

If you really want to try Glenlivet or Glenfiddich I would try Glenlivet 18. I prefer it to Glenfiddich 15.

For about the same money you can buy Balvenie 12 Double Wood, Cragganmore 12, Macallan 12 and Johnnie Walker Green. All good stuff.

Of those sigar_zealot recommended, I second Balvenie Double Wood and Macallan 12. Cragganmore is an excellent pour but IMHO it is not as easy to enjoy for someone starting out. Johnnie Walker Green is good stuff but technically it's not a single malt.

All good suggestions so far. If you're just starting out, I suggest you find a bar with a good scotch selection, go on a slow night, tell the bartender you want to try several different styles of scotch, and ask him if he's game for giving (well, selling) you 1/2 oz. samples of a bunch of different whiskies.

Well there sarge.....I would first suggest you post an intro in the proper forum and then fill out your profile. After that I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Of those sigar_zealot recommended, I second Balvenie Double Wood and Macallan 12. Cragganmore is an excellent pour but IMHO it is not as easy to enjoy for someone starting out. Johnnie Walker Green is good stuff but technically it's not a single malt.

Woops, read where he tried JW Red and got carried away. Intersting hearing your view on Cragganmore 12. I find it quite light and easy to drink, more so than Mac 12.

Really? Always good to get other people's opinions. I'll try them again when I get home.

I've recommended it many times as a first malt so I'm going to have to go with the Balvenie DoubleWood. Can't say as I agree with the Cigar Malt (which isn't a single malt anyway) unless you only plan to drink it while having a cigar. The standard 12 yo Dalmore is certainly better as a single malt for those times you aren't smoking.

I will have to check my local liquor store to see if they have the dalmore. I primarily will drink scotch when I am smoking but if I like the taste I might occasionally drink it without a cigar. They did have the Glenfiddich 15yr solera for around $35-40.

Go balls out and get some Laphroig!!! :cool:

Ok, being serious now, an Islay malt (Laphroig being a good example) is a unique experience in liquor and pretty different than single malts made in other locales. I personal think Dalmore is a great, very affordable entry into the scotch world. I like the standard Glenfiddich 12YO much better than Glenlivet 12YO you usually see in bars (it also never hurts to go to a bar and try both them, since most bars stock them, and see if you like them well enough to commit to a bottle).

(and NEVER drink Johnnie Red, haven't met a single soul that actually likes it...pay a little more and get Black Label instead)

Definitely use the search feature, or just click on Ray's (AVB's) profile and take a gander at his many, thorough and spot-on reviews. That said, Highland Park is a pretty damn good entry level drink (in my book anyway) that won't set you back too much.

They did have the Glenfiddich 15yr solera for around $35-40.

This was the first scotch I tried that I really enjoyed. From someone with very little experience, I thought it was very flavorful. I could finally pick up on some of the flavors people were telling me I should be tasting. although I doubt I really appreciated them.

I found the Macallan 12 much smoother and not quite as "busy". I would try one of these two based on your preference.

you can read better reviews of both of them here
[topic="0"]Glenfiddich 15[/topic]
[topic="0"]Macallan 12[/topic]

Dalmore 12 is decent, i'm not a fan of their "Cigar Malt" though.

One of the most inexpensive, but impressive bottles of scotch out there IMHO is Aberlour 10yr. The 12 is good too, but for $32, the 10yr is as good as many more expensive 12's out there. Might want to give that a shot. I've got 3 bottles of that lying around, along with a bottle of the 12. Good stuff and my favorite "cheapie." ;)

Hey njsarge,
Have you picked up a scotch yet? Have we thoroughly confused you with all the options?