• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Single Malt Scotch

matalo

I have been reading a lot about how "true" cigar lovers drink Single Malt Scotch while enjoying their puro. While I know there are other drinks out there, I broke down and bought a bottle of The Dalmore 12 Year Old.

I am not much of a Scotch drinker, and I personally found this Scotch, while "having a good nose" to also have an extreme bite. I found nothing smooth about this Scotch at all. I tried mixing in distilled water as recommended by Michael Jackson (no, not that one), and most likely ruined the drink as a "splash" did not take away the harshness.

Perhaps I bought the "wrong" kind of Single Malt. I definately do not have the bankroll to fund a $100 bottle of Scotch, so maybe that is what I am doing wrong.

That is why I am posting this. I have read about Glenlivet, Glenmordich, Highlands, Lowlands, etc. types and I want to hear from fellow Cigar enthusiasts. Is Single Malt Scotch more hype? Are there truly good, smooth Scotches out there that can be sipped without burning off your eyebrows? I will have to drink this Dalmore stuff as I am not one to waste, especially since I spent hard earned cash on this.

Let me hear from you!

I couldn't tell you about scotch..that was my Grandmothers drink, she was on the professional womens bowling tour...eons ago...and the more she drank, the better she bowled.

I think you'll find on this board, that the majority of cigar smokers here would prefer an island Rum while smoking.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are definately more smooth on the palate. Try those next. Also, there are some bleded scotch's that go well also. You might want to start there first, as almost all single malts have a unique flavor you might not agree with. You might want to try Chivas. I would classify that as the benchmark in blended scotch. Dewar's is also another one that is pretty good. My scotch of choice is Jonnie Walker Black. This is a little rough around the edges whan compared to Chivas, but I guess thats why I like it. Stay away from Cutty Sark as IMHO it is piss water.
Also, as far as single malts go, stay away from Glendronach...I like it, but if you didn't go for Dalmore, you probably won't like it. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if it is from the the Isle od Islay, then ths scotch tends to have a certain bite that is different from the other malts. I myslef like it, but many new scotch drinkers dont. That's my $.02.

Emo

If you are new to single malt, definitely stick to scotch from the Highlands. It is the most mild, least peaty/iodine influenced of the bunch. Aberlour is a good choice. I have been drinking single malt for a while now, and I have switched brands several times as my tastes have developed for it. My scotch of choice now is Balvenie Doublewood. Add a drop or two of water to your scotch. It will mellow it out and also open up the flavor some. Also, get a true single malt sipping glass. Reidel makes them for about $12. It will help you appreciate it more.

Danny

Yum!!! Single Malts. Well I'll have to say my favorites and ones I keep stock of are Talisker 10yr., Lagavulin 16yr., and Macallan 25yr. I would recommend any of the three. Also, I've enjoyed about all of the Single Malts Bowmore produces and a friend gifted me a bottle of Cragganmore 12 yr. that was very good also.

If the splash of water doesn't cut the bite, nothing will...after all that is a characteristic of pretty much all scotches. :)

I would really recommend a single barrel bourbon, if the scotch doesn't do it for you. I myself, love Bookers...yum, yum, yum...far better then scotch, IMHO. ;)

As for these island rums...never had them myself, but the people I see drinking rum are usually chics...so make your own decisions...LMFAO :p

Hmmm, Island Chicks with bottles of Rum. Now boys, that is what I call T&A Heaven :D :p :0 :lookup:

Definately go with Glenfiddich!! Awesome!!!! And for $35 a bottle, it doesn't break your bank! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Single malt is indeed great with a good cigar...very powerful but I do like to indulge once in a while....

Not wanting to confuse the subject, but have you considered Irish whiskey? Jamesons or Bushmills are great. Pepe :p

Hmmm, Island Chicks with bottles of Rum. Now boys, that is what I call T&A Heaven
hey pb, if brattkeeper sees that, you will be in f&A (foot in a$$) hell :sign: :D

Chivas is great IMHO! Jameson's also nice and smooth :D I look at Single Malts as an aquired taste after you have aquired one or two glasses ....... it taste great !!

TheBeast said:
Yum!!! Single Malts. Well I'll have to say my favorites and ones I keep stock of are Talisker 10yr., Lagavulin 16yr., and Macallan 25yr. I would recommend any of the three. Also, I've enjoyed about all of the Single Malts Bowmore produces and a friend gifted me a bottle of Cragganmore 12 yr. that was very good also.

If the splash of water doesn't cut the bite, nothing will...after all that is a characteristic of pretty much all scotches. :)

I would really recommend a single barrel bourbon, if the scotch doesn't do it for you. I myself, love Bookers...yum, yum, yum...far better then scotch, IMHO. ;)

As for these island rums...never had them myself, but the people I see drinking rum are usually chics...so make your own decisions...LMFAO :p
Lagavulin 16yr., and Macallan 25yr....these will be coming to LOL Herf II and staying at my house, right?? :)

Matt R said:
Lagavulin 16yr., and Macallan 25yr....these will be coming to LOL Herf II and staying at my house, right?? :)
Well, I was going to the Big Smoke in Detroit...planned on jumping over into Canada and picking up some HC7...but if you would prefer the scotch...no problem. :thumbs: ROTFLMFAO :p :D :p

HC7?
rum5-vi.jpg

Rum is plentiful... :)

Matalo,

I like Scotch and Bourbon, although I don't drink it often. Most of the bottles in my liquor cabinet have some real age on them by the time that the bottles are empty.

Scotch is just like anything else, including cigars, there are different flavors and strengths which vary with the distillery, alcoholic proof, region, and age of the drink.

I know what you mean about scotch "burning you up." Some brands are not as smooth as others, regardless of how good they promote themselves to be.

My suggestion - try Macallan - any age. You will notice that this is much smoother than the other single malt brands. I find it so smooth that I don't add any water to it at all. I've got a bottle of 25 year old Macallan that I only bring down on special occasions, it is seriously expensive. Their regular stuff is almost as smooth though. Glenfidich is good. Macallans is better.

Water? Most Scottish brewers suggest that a SMALL splash of water is good to open up the malt's taste. With the chlorinated water that cities have nowadays it is almost a shame to put any of this into a single malt, especially a good, expensive one. One ice cube would do the trick. The Macallans doesn't need any water to be smooth. The harsher scotches could benefit with a half ounce of water to cut them a little.

All scotch is different. Different flavors, etc. based on where the distillery is located. If you really want to try something unusual...try some LaPhroaig sometime. I guarantee that you will either LOVE or absolutely HATE this scotch, because it is unlike any other. It has a salty peat moss flavor based on the area of Scotland that it comes from...very unusual...more like tequila than scotch. Just a suggestion.

If single malts are just too hot for your palate - try the blended scotches. They are blended for smoothness, but lack some of the flavor and finesse of a single malt. It's an acquired taste! Good luck.

Sam

The LaPhroaig is from Islay...I and I agree, it is bold and distinct. It is a nice change up for me. Great post Sam!

Emo

Ack! (my Irish impression.. Thank you thank you)
I prefer blended's myself. Someone said Dewars or Chivas, both yummy. For spending a bit more money, Macallan's are sha-moooove. For bigger spenders, I've only sampled these once, but they were burned forever on my mind as very good (got to do a lot of sampling during the 'Tony the chef' days:

Bruichladdich, single. Incredible
Glen Grant, again a single. I can remember the peat-y taste even today.

Those are all I remember (have written down :p), but I do know where you can get those two bottles if you want to spend the $$$...

Just for the record. Last Friday I was out and tried some Glenfiddich. Call it my newbie taste buds to single malt, but I noticed almost no difference between this and the Dalmore. I guess I am not a scotch person. I will have to stick with beer, rum, and brandy.