• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Humidor Question

Steamboat,
The only downside to a cooler is asthetics. If you don't care what it looks like, a cooler is every bit as effective as a humidor. It seals well and will maintain humidity. If you are looking for something to keep in a den, office, etc and want something that is attractive and fits in with your decor, then you would want to go with a humidor. It is really up to personal preference.
The other option is to get a small desktop humidor to keep loose sticks in for everyday smoking, and have a cooler for storing your bulk boxes if that is the way you intend to buy cigars.
Either way, it is just like smoking cigars, not everyone has the same tastes or likes the same cigars. You need to do what works best for you, and most importantly, fits in with your budget.

Dave

Steamboat,
The only downside to a cooler is asthetics. If you don't care what it looks like, a cooler is every bit as effective as a humidor. It seals well and will maintain humidity. If you are looking for something to keep in a den, office, etc and want something that is attractive and fits in with your decor, then you would want to go with a humidor. It is really up to personal preference.
The other option is to get a small desktop humidor to keep loose sticks in for everyday smoking, and have a cooler for storing your bulk boxes if that is the way you intend to buy cigars.
Either way, it is just like smoking cigars, not everyone has the same tastes or likes the same cigars. You need to do what works best for you, and most importantly, fits in with your budget.

Dave

I thought I said that, I better go reread my last post.

Steamboat,

Dave

Yeah, I figure this being my first buy I would like to just get a nice 100-250ish count humidor. See if that fills up on me and if it does then considering going to something bigger. I think buying a humi first atleast in my case is the better option, I don't think I will be buying any boxes for awhile mostly just bundles and single cigars. But thanks Steamboat, maybe if my collection of cigars is starting to get to large for even acouple humidors I would consider a cooler or something along those lines.

-Eric

Hm. So I'm still undecided. I might stick with trying to make a cooler work right now. But I am digging the Alhambra from Southside... Don't know.

Thanks for all the help!

One other question. Should I get 65% or 70% RH humidification things?

Hm. So I'm still undecided. I might stick with trying to make a cooler work right now. But I am digging the Alhambra from Southside... Don't know.

Thanks for all the help!

One other question. Should I get 65% or 70% RH humidification things?
65%, You will have less "plugged" problems.

Brian

Sorry, I must be getting tired. I meant to address that post to SmokinInCanada, not you Steamboat.

Dave

Sorry, I must be getting tired. I meant to address that post to SmokinInCanada, not you Steamboat.

Dave

LOL, actually, if a thread gets long or I get involved in multiple threads, I forget which thread I said it in or what I said, so I really do have to go back and reread my posts

The honeywell unit does not state what the accuracy is, nor whether it is adjustable to make up of any discrepancy. That is very important when you are using it for a humidor. If it is off by 5%, that could mean a big difference in the storage of your cigars.

Dave

As a fellow newb, I currently have a 25-40ct. or whatever they label it as from cheaphumidors.com Firstly, I got it to hold close to 35 cigars, but many are petit coronas and carefully arranged at that. If it was full of only 5"+ 50+ RG sticks, I don't know if it would even hold close to the low end suggested.

My will power may be unusually strong, or it may be the current cold weather keeping my mind relatively off of cigars, but the small size is a decent curb to purchases. I'm sure I will prove myself wrong soon when something catches my eye in the trading forum or on Joe Cigar, but it is keeping me in check for now.

(Maybe I can look back on this post in 6 months and laugh that I thought for a second that a 25ct. humi would do :laugh: )

As a fellow newb, I currently have a 25-40ct. or whatever they label it as from cheaphumidors.com Firstly, I got it to hold close to 35 cigars, but many are petit coronas and carefully arranged at that. If it was full of only 5"+ 50+ RG sticks, I don't know if it would even hold close to the low end suggested.

My humidor is probably something comparable to what you have, and I have 20 robusto size cigars in there. I have room to add probably 10-12 more and it will be maxed out. At this point I wish I would have purchased a 100 ct, and had it half full then to have a 50 ct full.

Ok. I think I'm going to get myself some 65% RH beads and an adjustable Thermo-hygrometer. Maybe if I put these into my cooler, they'll make things work.

Thanks for the help, all!

Haha. You guys were right...

So being on this site, I've spent so much more money on cigars now. And, I'm overflowing out of my small cigar box coolidor setup...

Now I guess I'll have to spend some cigar money on a humidor or something. x.x