• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoked My First Opus X

symyn

So I was consulting for a customer up in Century City, CA, server died, blah blah blah, server fixed, I was just feeling in the mood for something to calm me down for the 1 and a half hour drive in traffic back to my house. Found a local cigar shop and saw that they carried some Fuente Fuente Opus X. I was stoked because no store around where I live carried them at a reasonable price. I have only been smoking premium cigars for about a year and only in the last couple months have I been doing my reasearch about what is good, what is great, and what is unattainable.

So the shop is a humidor in itself, they had a huge selection of CAO's, Ashtons, etc... didn't have any Padron's. The guy working there said he tried to get back on the vendor list, but he said his boss burned the bridge with Padron awhile ago. So they keep the FFOX behind the counter, they had three different lengths, and were on short supply on all three. After much deliberation I decided on the Perfecxion X.

I could hardly wait to cut the end, my hands were actually shaking which made me look pretty nubish in shop owners eyes but I didn't care, I was too excited. The first thing I noticed was the actual taste of the cigar when I put it in my mouth to get it started. Once I got it started I sat for a bit outside the store in absolute heaven. My palate is very young but I could tell it wasn't just hype when people talk about these cigars. I got in my car and didn't mind that it took 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home because I was smoking very slowly, savoring each draw. The only bad thing about knowing how much I liked this cigar is that it might make me go broke if I can't find a better price. All the stores around my house charge an arm and a leg which was why it took me so long to get my lips around one. All in all a great experience and one that I might be repeating this weekend if I can find another shop that carries them at a reasonable price.

$15 isn't bad for California prices! Glad you enjoyed your first.

bfreebern said:
[snapback]203986[/snapback]​

indeed.

symyn said:
My palate is very young but I could tell it wasn't just hype when people talk about these cigars.
[snapback]203977[/snapback]​

My feelings exactly.

Wait til you see the DVD. :thumbs:

Glad you enjoyed your first X. Bought mine a few weeks ago but haven't found an occasion to smoke it yet. Letting it rest a bit in the Humi first. Had a DCM the other day though and it definately lived up to its name.

CYG

Thats an awesome post Symyn! :) What an exciting cigar moment you just shared with us! Not a bad price at all too, I pay $13 here in Chicago. I particularly like the Perfection X as it doesn't knock me out with the nicotine buzz like some of the other Opus. I would say the fuente fuente size is my all time favorite.

You will now always crave OPUS X...mmmmmaaaaa hhhhhaaaa hhhhaaaaa :laugh: .

Once you go there...there is no turning back. I also agree about the Fuente Fuente size...perfect size and taste. Doesn't take too long to smoke either.

-Fetter

you are toast! hehehe
but you are not alone. you are very not alone.

bfreebern said:
[snapback]203986[/snapback]​

I want to try one of these BAD, but around here they start at about 25 bucks and go up from there!! :( If your finding them for 15 bucks, TAKE EM ALL!! :D

Had a Diamond Crown Maximus last night and my buddy had an Opus. The Maximus didn't really start going till the middle, which kinda made me wish I had boght the Opus. Maybe I got a bad stick, but I will probably wait a couple of months before I try another, especially for the 26 bucks I paid for it. The Opus was my friends first and I think I got him hooked, which can't be bad if he stocks a couple in his humidor :)

Had my very first Opus X yesterday. Yes, I've had these cigars in my humidor or coolidor countless times. I've always just used them in passes or surprise bombs, but have never ventured to smoke one. People go nuts for these things. There are websites devoted to them, people who swear to buy nothing but Opus X's, as well as those who swear up and down that these are the best domestics out there. What do I think?, they are mistaken.

Lit this one up and immediately noticed the wrapper. There was discoloration and the wrapping was not exactly "tight" as I like it to be. Not only that, but the lowest marks on this one comes in the realm of flavor. This is a mild, bland cigar. Blandest of the bland-no discernable flavor, at least none that impresses you. I fail to recognize why anyone would spend $18.00 or more per stick for these. For all of the ink and web hosting pages wasted about this cigar, I was terribly disappointed. The only thing good about this cigar was the band. After smoking this piece of crap, I have come to the realization that the cigar smoking world is nuts. Yes, the Fuentes have people suckered. Make a cigar, make it hard to get and charge out the wazoo for people to get it. Get some dunderheads who rave about on cigar bb's and voila!, instant cigar fame where there should be none. Heck, I know a Thompson brand that is better. My god, wake up people!.

This "review" is from a former CPass member, SFG75. :whistling:

What a cool first Opus story :thumbs:
Absolutly great cigars. They are pricey
kinda wish I didn't like them so much sometimes :D

Bill

I was not impressed with the first few Opus X I smoked years ago but I have come to love these cigars. :thumbs:

Scotty (SFG75) continues to show what an idiot he is :laugh:

Very Cool! I smoked my first one this weekend as well. Went to a new shop as I was spending the weekend at my Dad's for his birthday. Picked up a Belicoso for $15.00. They also had some PAN in stock...but I'll leave those for another day. Loved the taste of the Opus X, need to get back and buy a few more!

Wombat said:
Very Cool! I smoked my first one this weekend as well. Went to a new shop as I was spending the weekend at my Dad's for his birthday. Picked up a Belicoso for $15.00. They also had some PAN in stock...but I'll leave those for another day. Loved the taste of the Opus X, need to get back and buy a few more!
[snapback]204462[/snapback]​

Was this shop on LI?

Was this shop on LI?

Yes it was, North Fork Tobacco in Aquebouge (631-722-2660). Nice walk in humador. Had two sizes of the Opus X in stock and two sizes of PAN (no PAM).

MilesMingusMonk said:
Had my very first Opus X yesterday. Yes, I've had these cigars in my humidor or coolidor countless times. I've always just used them in passes or surprise bombs, but have never ventured to smoke one. People go nuts for these things. There are websites devoted to them, people who swear to buy nothing but Opus X's, as well as those who swear up and down that these are the best domestics out there. What do I think?, they are mistaken.

Lit this one up and immediately noticed the wrapper. There was discoloration and the wrapping was not exactly "tight" as I like it to be. Not only that, but the lowest marks on this one comes in the realm of flavor. This is a mild, bland cigar. Blandest of the bland-no discernable flavor, at least none that impresses you. I fail to recognize why anyone would spend $18.00 or more per stick for these. For all of the ink and web hosting pages wasted about this cigar, I was terribly disappointed. The only thing good about this cigar was the band. After smoking this piece of crap, I have come to the realization that the cigar smoking world is nuts. Yes, the Fuentes have people suckered. Make a cigar, make it hard to get and charge out the wazoo for people to get it. Get some dunderheads who rave about on cigar bb's and voila!, instant cigar fame where there should be none. Heck, I know a Thompson brand that is better. My god, wake up people!.

This "review" is from a former CPass member, SFG75. :whistling:
[snapback]204389[/snapback]​

is that the guy i've seen on another BB that smokes acids and gives them good remarks? no wonder he didn't like the opus...i guess if i had a palate like him i wouldn't waste my money on opus's when i could be perfectly satisfied with phillies blunts!...idiot

i smoked my first AF 8-5-8 this weekend, then got some great news from my fiance about her job so lit up an opusX reserve d'chateau....what a great smoke! so dissappointing to smoke that and then revert to my other cigars for the rest of the weekend. I should remember to always try to make that my last smoke of the weekend so that I'm not so disappointed with the other cigars I usually smoke that are normally pretty good, but unfortunately pale in comparison to the opus.

Congrats to all who have finally had their first opus. Wish you all didn't have to pay so much for them though. Most of the shops around here sell them for msrp when they get shipments of them in.

Wombat said:
Was this shop on LI?

Yes it was, North Fork Tobacco in Aquebouge (631-722-2660). Nice walk in humador. Had two sizes of the Opus X in stock and two sizes of PAN (no PAM).
[snapback]204486[/snapback]​

Darn, that's just a little out of my way (I'm in Elmont, harder to get much further :p)

I need to try another. unfortuanetly I was not able to finish my first Opus. I tried smoking it after having a 26' Padron and not having anything to eat before hand. :(

TBaGZ said:
I need to try another. unfortuanetly I was not able to finish my first Opus. I tried smoking it after having a 26' Padron and not having anything to eat before hand. :(
[snapback]204633[/snapback]​

::cough:: pussy ::cough::

;)

moki said:
TBaGZ said:
I need to try another. unfortuanetly I was not able to finish my first Opus. I tried smoking it after having a 26' Padron and not having anything to eat before hand.  :(
[snapback]204633[/snapback]​

::cough:: pussy ::cough::

;)
[snapback]204651[/snapback]​

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cool: