• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking helps an upset stomach?

Taj

I'm really not sure if there is any scientific proof to any of that which I'm about to say/ask... but it's been what I've found from personal experience.

I've been having problems lately with a horribly upset stomach, they've tested my gallbladder, liver, given me a colonoscopy, small bowel series (one of the dreaded barium drinking tests), etc etc etc... But nothing seems to be helping. We already know that I'm lactose intolerant, and that's been under control for years now... but this is all something new.

As most of you know I'm fairly new to smoking, but I've found that when I smoke (and for a couple hours thereafter), my stomach doesn't give me any problems what so ever. (I have not found this to be the case with simply using nasal snuff, as it does not calm or upset my stomach... but does help with my allergies immensely!)

Have any of you had similar experiences or know if there is any sort of scientific evidence of this? The only things I've found so far is that smoking can lead to loose bowel movements (which hasn't been my experience), and that smoking cigars and/or pipes has been proven to lower stress levels.

I welcome any thoughts or insights.

I am not sure about the stomach, but studies Have shown that regular intake of nicotine does reduce ulcers and general colitis of the colon.

But, then again; if you do have colitis of the colon, your doctors should have seen ulcers, bleeding, or sores on your intestinal lining.

They haven't found anything like that wrong yet, they are assuming by this point that it is just a fairly basic case of I.B.S. (but they aren't sure yet because they don't have results from all the test results back yet).

If this does prove to be the case then it would make sense why smoking a cigar or pipe would make my stomach feel a bit better, I've done a bit more research since I've posted this and have seen that stress and/or anxiety can worsen the symptoms of I.B.S. Therefore, smoking a cigar or pipe (which have both been proven to lower stress levels) would make complete sense with how it also helps to reduce the other symptoms.

I'll be doing more research, and I'll also be mentioning it to the doctor when I talk to him next.

I'm also still very open to feedback or your own experiences.

Seanholio...Thank you for the link and info! Will definitely check it out.

Get DR. Ohhira's Probiotocs 12 Plus ...do a search.

The Align that Seanholio sent you to only has Bifidobacterium infantis ss. Infantis. DR. Ohhira's Probiotocs 12 Plus has that and all the friendly bacteria strains as well as all the vitamins...good stuff.

Brian

I have a few family members who have Celiac Disease and it sounds like there might be some similarities with you symptoms, I ain't no House but it took them a long time to figure out exactly what it was, good luck and I hope its nothing serious.

Link

John