• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking in the Apartment

ThankYouForNotSmoking

Self-Proclaimed Everyman's Man
So, I'm considering smoking cigars in my apartment, I already smoke the occasional aromatic pipe, but I feel like cigars are a big jump. Any tips on how to actively avoid the big cigar stink smell? Air filters, etc? I don't just want to cover it up with some candle, but I'd prefer the stinky particles just get pushed out/purified out. I'd be smoking in a sort of big room, I'd say 15x20ish with high ceilings (~15ft, think loft). Has anyone actually done something like this and been successful?

thanks

I have a 600 SqFt. humidifier that I load up w/ Fabreeze. I like the hepa idea, but the filters are pretty expensive after awhile (so I'm told).

So if three of you guys are saying they use hepafilters...how much are they? I haven't priced them before, so could you clue me in on prices?

=Rob

How much are they, and are they trueHepa or just 'Hepa'? A lot of filters have hepa in there but they aren't sealed, so, they don't really do all that much. Model recommendations? Also, I'm concerned about noise, I know there's going to be a bit of noise, but I don't drown out my music with it.

I got two of them from Sears about 2 years ago and they were on sale for $159.00 each. They are 16" by 18" and are extremely quiet but move quite a bit of air. They were about half of the regular price because they were the previous years model and it was in the winter when hepafilter sales are way down.
I would recommend that you wait until late summer or early winter (after allergy season) when hepas go on sale and make your purchase then.

I used to smoke in my apartments without any filtration... Febreeze was my best friend though, and it did a good job.

Nick

I just personally chong up my apartment since the neighbor chain smokes cigarettes. So I have to over ride that nasty ass smell. And if I want the apartment smelling fresh, I will just open my windows all night and let it air out while I sleep. :thumbs:

www.pollutionresearch.com

The Mark 10 is the unit you want. It will last for years, you probably will not have to change the hepa and charcoal filters not more than 1.5 years. The outer pre filters need to be cbanged once every 5-6 weeks.

This is a true Hepa system,it moves the appropriate amount of air .I have 4 in my pool hall and they have worked for over 10 years. You also want to spend 400 plus for a real ozinator, that will eliminate all smells. If you want more details let me know.

Look up Living Air. It is an air purification company that has really good, quiet filters. They guaranty removal of odors and allergens. Look it up.

-Fetter

PS - I am in no way affiliated with Living Air!

www.pollutionresearch.com

The Mark 10 is the unit you want. It will last for years, you probably will not have to change the hepa and charcoal filters not more than 1.5 years. The outer pre filters need to be cbanged once every 5-6 weeks.

This is a true Hepa system,it moves the appropriate amount of air .I have 4 in my pool hall and they have worked for over 10 years. You also want to spend 400 plus for a real ozinator, that will eliminate all smells. If you want more details let me know.

I cannot believe how quickly and well and ozinator works... I stayed in a hotel that only had smoking rooms left. The room I was put in smelled like a funky ashtray. I complained to management. They gave me a small ozinator for the room - needless to say I was skeptical. Within about 15 minutes, the smoke smell was VERY bearable. By the next day you would have sworn no one had EVER smoked in the room...

You might try an Austin Air. They seem to do a pretty good job, but are a little pricey. My $.02

Personally, I think I'll be getting something when I move to my new place in July. I have smoked cigars in my current apartment for almost three years and you can tell. The white walls are now noticable off-white (took a picture off the wall to reveal the original color). The ceiling fan also seems to collect a lot of brown lint flings across the room when the fan is on. And the carpet...well I sure hope a Rug Doctor will work ok for those "OOPS, I missed the ashtray" moments!

I picked up a Whirlpool AP45030R(or similar model).

Aside from a good COnsumer Rating.....it also was listed in as having a good CADR rating (http://www.cadr.org/consumer/index.html)

A good unit will be 300-500 (with extra filters - but them NOW).

I only smoked inside a couple times...but by having the unit on while smoking...and for a couple days after... the smell of 4 guys playing cards and herfin' was cleared up!

You can make your own re-chargeable granulated activated charcoal filters for under $100, if you are a bit handy and know how to do some comparison shopping.

I can offer some design guidance if you like... :D

You'll still want a decent place to vent it though.

antaean

Open a window, good enough for me, as long as there are no children present. It's getting to be nice outside, don't worry.