• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking my first CC today

sg1234

I recently received my first CC order. I went a little crazy with my first purchase and ordered 4 boxes:

box of 25 Cohiba Esplendidos
box of 25 Monte No. 2
box of 25 PSD4
box of 10 Monte Sublimes EL 2008

Anyway, I think I have given them enough time to setlle in the humidor and it is time to pop my CC cherry. I am thinking of making the Esplendidos my "first" because they look and smell absolutely amazing!

Knowing what you all know now about CCs, what would you smoke for your first if you could go back in time? It would be nice if you could tell me what your overall CC choice would be, but also your choice from my purchase list.

The PSD4 was the first I smoked and quickly became one of my favorites. One of the best I ever had was an Esplendido from '97.

I probably wouldn't change a thing.

I started with an RyJ of some kind but frankly that was so long ago that I really cannot recall which vitola. That cigar was good but not what I would call exciting. If I had it to do over again, I would either go with a Partagas de Partagas No. 1, Cohiba Robusto or a Montecristo No. 2. You have some good sticks to smoke through...enjoy them!

The Montecristo No.2 is probably my favourite cigar to offer to first timers who I anticipate will appreciate a good cigar. I think it provides a great introduction to CCs. It is a wonderfully balanced and consistent smoke with great flavour. So, my vote goes to the No.2.

That said though, my first CC was an Esplendido. And it did not exactly scare me off of CCs! It sounds as though you have a great haul there. I doubt that you could make a bad choice from that set of alternatives. Enjoy your smoke.

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen.

ManInBlack, by "first timers" do you mean first time smoking a Cuban or first time smoking a cigar? I have been smoking cigars for about 6 years now. Although if I didn't think I would like the Monte 2, I wouldn't have bought a whole box!

EDIT: ... and even if for some reason Monte 2 isn't for me, I can always unload them in a pass or trade!

ManInBlack, by "first timers" do you mean first time smoking a Cuban or first time smoking a cigar?

I meant first time CC smokers. I would not want to imply for a second that the Monte No.2 was somehow a "beginner's smoke." It is a classic that, personally, I always like to keep stocked in my humidor.

But, since you asked the question, I do like to offer these to first-time cigar smokers as well, but only those who seem genuinely interested in appreciating a good cigar (if that makes any sense).

ManInBlack, by "first timers" do you mean first time smoking a Cuban or first time smoking a cigar?

I meant first time CC smokers. I would not want to imply for a second that the Monte No.2 was somehow a "beginner's smoke." It is a classic that, personally, I always like to keep stocked in my humidor.

But, since you asked the question, I do like to offer these to first-time cigar smokers as well, but only those who seem genuinely interested in appreciating a good cigar (if that makes any sense).

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Haven't had the Esplendidos or Sublimes, but I can tell you the PSD4 and Monte2 are amazing... I also have a Partagas de Partagas 1 resting and am waiting to try it... I can't wait until I get to make my first CC box purchase... Congrats and good smoking.

The first CC I smoked I think was a RyJ Cedros Deluxe... although I don't remember what number. I enjoyed it, although that's about all I can remember since it was quite some time ago. I think it was a good place to start for CC's.

The Partaga will probably smoke the best young. Haven't had the Monty EL's the no. 2's are pretty nice though.

I'd let them settle for about a month or two though. ;)

I say go for the Coheba Isplendido first. For my taste it's the most mild of the lot (except I don't know about the EL).

Enjoy!

As planned, I decided to go with the Esplendido for my first CC and I don't regret that decision one bit. While I think the box can use some age, the Cohiba Esplendido was a very good smoke and a great introduction to the ISOM. These will be extraordinary in about a year.

As planned, I decided to go with the Esplendido for my first CC and I don't regret that decision one bit. While I think the box can use some age, the Cohiba Esplendido was a very good smoke and a great introduction to the ISOM. These will be extraordinary in about a year.

How did it feel to lose your virginity again? ;)

Can you tell us the box code?

Great cigars you bought, I hope you enjoy them all.

How did it feel to lose your virginity again? ;)

Can you tell us the box code?

Great cigars you bought, I hope you enjoy them all.

Thanks! It was everything I thought it would be and more!

Box code on the Esplendidos is MEL NOV 08.

But to answer your question, I think I'd have my first one to be a VR Famoso... maybe that's what it was :0 I really don't remember.

Yes it says right here in the ole journal, VR Famoso. That's the official one anyways. I had a suspect Esplendido stick before that one.

I think it's safe to say, or not but I think that many compare habanos after their first smoke to the first smoke, I had the fortune of having a Cohiba Siglo VI tubo aged for 2 yrs, the flavors were amazing!!! I remember Honey, Almonds, Cream, Sweet Tobacco, Cedar, the flavors stood on my palate for a couple days. I would say that my experience with Cohibas have all been great, I really Enjoyed Monte No.2's, Edmundo's and Petit Edmundos as well.

I'm trying to remember here . . . I'm thinking my first CC was a RASS. Picked up a fiver from a BOTL.

Pretty sure I wouldn't change a THING. :thumbs:

~Boar

I have since tried the PSD4 and I liked it much more than the Esplendido. The Esplendido will be great with age, but the PSD4 was full bodied and flavorful young. I'd say the PSD4 is a little more up my alley.

I don't really remember what my first CC was, but if I took a guess it would be a fake Cohiba Pyramid. If I remember correctly it was smooth and tasty, but if I had the knowledge I have now back then I would have chain smoked some H. Upmann Mag 48's!!! My all time favorite CC!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

WKOTI

My first CC was and Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo Des Dieux. Fantastic cigar.

I honestly can't say what was my first Cuban cigar was that I smoked. I do know where I was when I did. I was in Dublin, Ireland with my best friend.
The first time I had been out of the USA. This took place between Dec 2000 to Jan 2001. It was a awesome experience to finally smoke one. Most of
them was the cheaper ones in the Tubes. We had a couple of good one as well. But since neither of us was rich, we went on the cheap side mainly.
They was still good either way.

The next time I had one I had stopped in the Davidoff Shop in London. I even got to smoke in the shop then and what made it really cool was they had
a Cuban cigar roller in the shop for the day. I had a fresh Cuban that was rolled in front of me and I took pictures of it. It was one of the best cigars I ever
had the pleasure of smoking. The wrapper felt like silk. Now 20/20 hind sight is a real killer. I should have asked if I could have gotten a couple to take
with me. Naturally they had a donation box and I dropped 10 British Pounds at the time for a Corona sized cigar. Was still worth every penny. This trip I
also smoked Cubans in Wales, Ireland again and Scotland. It was a beautiful 2 weeks of smoking while in the UK. :thumbs:

But on topic I would have picked the PSD4 or the Monte #2 to smoke first. They are great smokes young and aged. The Monte EL's and the Cohibas
benefit from age.