• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking Room

vewyphishy

The Original Smoking Fish
I have an extra room upstairs at my new house (actually 2, but who's counting :p ). Anyways, with the weather being so cold lately, smoking on the patio has become more of a pain than a convenience. I've been thinking of turning the extra room into a smoking room so that I won't have to freeze my ass off in winter or get horded by mosquitos in the summer. This has led me to the following questions:

1. How do I properly ventilate the room so the smell doesn't permeate throughout the house?

2. How do I prevent the room from smelling like smoke and the walls from showing residue?

3. Do I need an air purifier? (I'd prefer not, I'd rather just open the window and turn on the ceiling fan, if it'll work this way)

Some info on the room. It's 10 x 12 with an 8 foot ceiling. There's a 5 foot window on one of the walls. There's a tornado ceiling fan.

Any other concerns I'm overlooking, please share. I'd love to get everyone's advice on this.

Thanks!

I've tried it and no matter what I try, the wife still complains of the smell. It'll leak out whatever you do. As an alternative, try to find a local Cigar Shop with nive leather chairs, a big screen TV and a friendly staff. That's been my solution for the winter.

That or lots of winter clothing.

Well, my local shop has that luxury... for a slight membership cost of $850 for the year. ???

I was going to weather strip the door so that it seals air tight, for all intents and purposes. But if the air is filtered well enough, there shouldn't be much smoke smell left. Hmm... much to consider.

Some more suggestions:

- If you have central air/heating, you'll have to tape up the vents/returns
- Weatherstrip the doors
- Sears has a nice little fan that will sit in a window and vent outward. Creating a negative pressure in the room will keep most of the smoke in or out the window.
- A good air cleaner made for smoke (preferably an electrostatic cleaner)
- Be warned that carpet will retain the smell when you are not smoking (and don't have all your fans, etc on) and therefore creep out into the house. Also, the smell is pretty permanent on carpet.
- I've used smoker's candles that supposedly mask the smell and they don't seem to do anything.

Someone needs to invent a nice comfy, heated doghouse for us to smoke in. I'd be perfectly happy. :)

Looks like this is more of a discussion between us 2. :)

Yeah, I'm worried about the carpet. I was thinking of getting a rather large area rug and just cover the floor... and every few months, chuck it away for another one. What exactly is it that's causing the smell to stay resident in the carpet?

Build a room out back. Put a heater in it. :)

Our new house has a 'workshop' out back that was run with electricity by the previous owners. (No, we haven't closed yet :p)

That room is being fitted with a leather couch, a poker and/or pool table, dart board, and possibly a convenience store slot machine. Add a vent and a small heater/air conditioner, and I have a great smoking room OUTSIDE the house. :)

(also running cable and phone in there)

I'm envious. I have dreams of a smoking apartment in a seperate little house.

The carpet issue seems to have to do with the oils in the cigars. As you smoke, the carpet fibers absorb them, as do the walls, etc. Cleaning helps some but not completely.

The throw-away rug sounds like a good idea. I think the end result is you should just do your best and enjoy the smokes in your own little retreat. Again, I'm envious.

Seriously, Vewy ... you might rip the carpet up and tile the floor. Not *that* hard to do, and depending on your tile, not all that expensive, either. :)

Ah, it's virtually impossible for the smoke to not peremeate the house and I've tried air purifiers and they don't do much at all. The main problem with them is after they sit for a few weeks and I go to fire them up getting ready for card playing night, they STINK up the whole room!!

The idea of an outbuilding is the best I think. An upstairs room is certainlly better than my deal where I have a 26' x 30' finished basement. After a night of playing cards where only three or four cigars are smoked, a fair part of the house reeks for days.

My solution is to smoke in the car, 99% of the time, I'm by myself and yep, the cars stinks but who cares? I don't!! Cigar reek is 100% better than cigarette reek anyday of the week.

Getting back to your original thought vewy, you could try sealing the room and ventilating it somehow. Emodx had posted in a thread somewhere about certain size fans for certain sq ft rooms and some other information you might find useful but I can't remember the thread or the topic. You could check the "all posts by this member"......... on emodx. I'd tell you to PM him but he's deploying very soon and won't be around.

Shuji said:
Seriously, Vewy ... you might rip the carpet up and tile the floor. Not *that* hard to do, and depending on your tile, not all that expensive, either. :)

Unfortunately, that isn't feasible for a couple of reasons. First off, it's brand new carpet. The whole house was recarpeted before I moved in. Secondly, tile in just that room would look rather tacky. I don't think the likelihood of the next homeowner being a smoking fanatic is too high. :)

As for the car, I drive manual... and believe me when I tell you, coordination comes at a premium in my family. Thus... a no go here either. :p

vewyphishy said:
Secondly, tile in just that room would look rather tacky. I don't think the likelihood of the next homeowner being a smoking fanatic is too high. :)
Ah, it's not too tacky ... we're actually thinking of doing it with our office room. It's in a part of the house that's built on with no attic, so we're thinking of tiling the floor with ceramic tiles and putting in a skylight ... as long as you 'finish' the edges where it meets the carpet, you should be okay, and you'll keep it looking good. When the house is shown when/if you sell it in a few years, just point out that it has 'x number of bedrooms and one converted office' :)

As for the car, I drive manual... and believe me when I tell you, coordination comes at a premium in my family

LOL I hear you on that one!! One of my cars is a five speed but since I'm determined to smoke cigars when I drive, I manage but it's a challenge.

You ought to see me drive, smoke a cigar, shift AND refill my Zippo, all at the same time!!! At least I also don't try to use the cell phone, I can multi-task but not that many tasks. :D

Cat,

Where do you drive? I want to make sure I'm off the road when you are driving!!!

:D

Cat,

Where do you drive? I want to make sure I'm off the road when you are driving!!!

LMAO @ hyper1

Connecticut so as long as you don't drive around here, you'll be okay.

Now c'mon, I haven't caused an accident in three weeks :D

BTW hyper1 no one can send you bombs if you don't put your address in your profile :sign:

Oh and THANKS Luckyred23, I'd been looking for that thread and could not find it!!

I say this jokingly, but.... :love: And you know I love you....

<baby crying> Waaa! Waaa! Waaa!

Let me get out my little tiny violin and play you a sad song.

<still crying and talking in a little baby voice> how do I keep the smell out of the carpet? How do I keep the smoke from coloring the walls? waaaaaa! waaaaaa!

Dang Bro. You sound like your wife! :p (and mine too!) :sign:

Grow some balls. Screw the carpet and the walls! (hey that rhymes!) :D As long as the smoke doesn't leave the smoking room where the "Warden" can smell it, forget the walls and the carpet. If you can't be King of the Castle, at least be King of the Smoking Room. Throw caution to the wind. You just might enjoy the feeling.

How can you possibly enjoy smoking a fine cigar with you mind cluttered with all that nonsense!?

Waaaaa! waaaaa! waaaaaa!

:love:

Dang it, get a few brewskis in SD especially when he hasn't had enough sleep and WOW does he get ornery :sign:

LMAO @ SD!

Well, it's not really the "warden" I worry about. She doesn't care since the room is upstairs... it's the "matron" I worry about. She makes trips down here to "visit" me, but it's really to inspect the house. I'll qualify this by saying she fronted the $$$ to pay for all the repairs and upgrades to the house (such as new carpet and new paint). This is the reason for concern. ???

:sign: