• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking with Ulcers

Setren

Ok, so here's a question I can't seem to get an answer for.

I get ulcers in my mouth every now-and-then (apparently because of genes?). Whenever I bite myself in the mouth, I develop an ulcer, or sometimes when I've just had an incredibly stressful week.

My question is, does anybody know if it's particularly bad to smoke while I have these ulcers? I've done it before and haven't noticed any immediate bad side effects, but I'm wondering if anybody knows the answer to this question, for sure?

Thanks!

Edit: To be clear, I'm talking about canker sores... and I guess whenever you've bitten yourself in the mouth.

Don't think this is the right forum for that.... I think it would be better to ask a doctor.... NO... not Devil Doc, but an actual real life doctor. No offense Devil Doc :thumbs:

Don't think this is the right forum for that.... I think it would be better to ask a doctor.... NO... not Devil Doc, but an actual real life doctor. No offense Devil Doc :thumbs:
Don't call me if you get the clap, fugger. :laugh: Nicotine slows the healing process. I forget why. So, in theory, your lesions, will take longer to heal if you smoke.

Doc.

You mean he's not a real doctor?....................oh shit.....I want my money back :blush:

You mean he's not a real doctor?....................oh shit.....I want my money back :blush:

LOL, I'm not sure now, Well I'm damn glad I came to this post because I sure would've hated to unknowingly smoke after biting my tongue or something and end up with the clap........ Glad I know that now, and knowing is half the battle... but yeah, I would stay away from the smoke for that time if I were you. The clap isn't something you wanna get, I know it sounds cool and all like it's something good but the name is really deceiving, because if you do get I doubt there is anybody that will be giving you any kind of applause. LOL JK

This is a difficult question; some say smoking does reduce canker sores, however, others say smoking is the cause of canker sores.

Wiki says nicotine reduces cankers, however, I can't find the source they are using to state that fact.

courtesy wikipedia.org:

"Aphthous ulcers are more common in nonsmokers. About a third of people who quit smoking develop them as a consequence. Nicorette has been used as an effective treatment."

The study they cited is:
Med J Aust, 1991, 154, pp471-RayJohnstone (talk) 14:23, 11 February 2008

Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding that particular study.

However, here is another study corroborating that fact;
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:pd4zK...cd=11&gl=us

Though, not sure if that is a true scientific paper either.

Seriously, you didn't think there was anything wrong with him offering you a drink and a cigar prior to him giving you that prostate exam? :whistling:

"K"

who authored the study you linked? I cant find the author in the document

Don't call me if you get the clap, fugger. :laugh: Nicotine slows the healing process. I forget why. So, in theory, your lesions, will take longer to heal if you smoke.

Doc.

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. Slowed blood supply ---> Slowed healing. Smoking is especially problematic with diabetics or anyone with arterial disease.

I suspect if there is a relationship between the ulcers and cigars it is more of a chemical irritation rather than something systemic. Similar effects could probably be demonstrated with acidic drinks such as OJ.

If it is a concern, ask your MD or DDS next time you see them.

Open sores just means the nicotine gets in your blood faster and no one bothers you while your smoking... go for it!

I am not a Doctor.

---John Holmes...